14 replies to this topic

#1 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:42 PM

Im heading to bishop tomorrow around 9 or so.. going to fish the lower owens and the dam, i'll be trying my fly rod on a river for the first time.. pretty excited about that.. has anyone been out there or heard of how the action is right now?

#2 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

good luck.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,216 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

Catch something big!. But not yourself. :signs1180lq:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

lol im going to try not to catch myself.. but can't promise anyhing..

#5 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbiking, and Flying

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

I go up there every year in mid April. The action has always been really good. If you do end up using lures stick with yellow and red Panther Martins or Black and gold. I think I was using the 1/4 ounce. The Thomas Buoyants were working prettty good too. Rainbow and red & gold. We usually catch about 20 fish a day walking up and down the river. Before we leave we'll go up to the lake and catch some nice keepers to take home. Two years ago I spooked some deer that were bedded down up there and they just stood there and watched us. It's a great place to spend a weekend. Good luck!

#6 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

ya we always have a good time out there. wont be able to get into the lakes besides pleasant valley..

#7 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:48 AM

Check this site:http://www.sierradri...s.com/fish.htmlLooks like they are getting a pretty good BWO (blue wing olive) hatch on the lower. We usually hike down into the gorge at least one afternoon. Usually find some good dry fly action down there.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

Have a safe trip!

#9 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

Back when I lived in California we fished the Owens and drug some nice browns out of the undercuts using Rapalas or large streamers on a full sinking line. A Jansen Minnow would probably do you wonders unless you're a purist for dries.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#10 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

we made it here safely.. got to town around 230. stoped off at culvers to get some supplys. then went straight to the owens to meet up with some of my dads friends. tried for a lil with cickets couldn't get my fly rod out cause all my stuff for it were still in the tubs only was able to use my spinngreel. we didn't get anything but saw a couple people pulling in some 10-12inchers. one guy earlier pulled in a 5#er before we got there. As for flying for me tomorrow.. i only have a floating line on my reel so im going to use a bead head midge at first maybe go with a wooley bugger later in the morning.. im going to wade the wild trout part of the river then walk up to the resevor. i'll keep you guys posted hopefully with pics tomorrow.

#11 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:48 AM

:doh[1]: :( :roflmao3[1]:

#12 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

ya i have a few to put up but i keep forgetting to grab my camera out of my dad's truck.. fishing was a lil slow for me last weekend.. sat morning at the reservoir i caught a small brown prolly 7inch's my brother got 3 nice once between 17-19in. he was on a tube then i look up and saw him almost pulled in by a fish then saw his pole go straight up.. fish off. i radio'd him and he said it was the biggest fish his ever seen and it broke the hook. he had two like that the 2nd he didn't see but spit the hook out. then later that afternoon on the owens my brother got another nice one. my dad had a good size one before he pulled a 4.5lbs bow (his biggest trout ever) and another 14in. for him. i was skunked till we started heading home one monday. we stopped at the dfg hatchery just before indepence walked around and watched them take eggs and milk the males. they told us of a spot near the aquaduct so we stoped and i caught two ok ones. moved down to lowpine to a spot my dad's had luck at. and i caught another small one and my brother had a small one there also.. then headed home. all and all had a pretty good trip.. i'll post pics soon..kevin

#13 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:31 PM

my dads 4.2lbs fish caught on gulp chunky cheesePosted Imagethere was a fire a few bends down the river that started out of nowherePosted Imagestill plenty of snow up therePosted Image

#14 meangreen75

meangreen75

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:26 AM

How fast was the river running? I'm going up there on April 18th.D

#15 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

i dont know the exact numbers it wasn't really fast but enought to make the water murky.. they had all the run offs starting that weekend. should be pretty good by then.. plus i think that the lakes will be open on march 6th.. that is if u like ice fishing..lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users