9 replies to this topic

#1 mojohand

mojohand

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:09 AM

a buddy of mine was talking about getting one, not necessarily for hunting, more just to have fun with. But it got me thinking, why aren't crossbows a more popular weapon choice? I know they're illegal in certain staes, but I think they're legal in CA; Any thoughts?

#2 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

I would think mostly because for hunting, it is considered a firearm, not a bow, so it can't be used during archery season. Other than for messing around at a range, I don't think it would serve a real purpose. I think they're cool though. I have a little 80lbr to smack rats with.
Jeph S"Team .223/6x47"

#3 mojohand

mojohand

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

Yeah, but it still can be an effective weapon, is relatively easy to use, and not very expensive. I'm just not sure why it hasn't really caught on with more people.

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

I think one would be good for coyotes in some cases no gun shot to scare the others off. They shoot like rifles now.The way I think if your getting a c cc compond just get a cross bow :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#5 boarn2hunt

boarn2hunt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, reading , movies, archery.

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

try out varmint als hunting page. it has instructions on how to make a e-call , i made one for about 50 - 70 bucks . still need to try it out though .good hunting

#6 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

For the last few months, I've been hunting with my crossbow (BowTech Stryker) because the desert has been too warm and the yotes have been too scarce (till it gets cooler). Anyway, I've moved my hunting into the city limits near parks and river bottoms and killed yotes at distances between 12-52 yards with it. Most of the kills have been at night or late in the afternoons. I use night vision goggles to spot them when they come in to my kitten calls. When they're within my comfort zone, I flip up the goggles and hit the flood lights. They usually stand looking at the lights for a few seconds. More than enough time to shoot. I'm so happy with the Stryker! It's fast (over 400 fps) and quiet now that I've put limb savers on it. Only drawback was the price, over $1,200 for the whole package. It's been worth every penny though, since I couldn't kill coyotes in the city limits without it. I recently had a police officer look at it but thought it was cool that someone was taking care of the coyotes that they used to scare away with whistles and flashlights. We had a long talk about shooting safety but once he found out that I was extremely safety conscious, he told me to carry on (after he ran my info in the computer). Anyhow, those of you interested in another form of keeping the hobby alive, take up crossbow hunting urban coyotes. They're pretty easy targets! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#7 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

Couple questions for ya FAKAWEE:1. Do you know of any other decent crossbows that aren't sooo expensive? That's more than I have spent on any of my firearms. :)2. What is the legality of shooting a crossbow in city limits?
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:39 AM

Most cities ban shooting even regular bows within city limits. Unincorporated areas are different.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:45 AM

Most cities ban shooting even regular bows within city limits.

Hence the urban coyote problem... :smiley_kewlpics:
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#10 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

Couple questions for ya FAKAWEE:1. Do you know of any other decent crossbows that aren't sooo expensive? That's more than I have spent on any of my firearms. :653: 2. What is the legality of shooting a crossbow in city limits?

Wannakill, the only decent crossbows are all as expensive as a good rifle set up. I used to own a $400 Barnett crossbow that shot really nice groups up to 40 yards but it ate bow strings like crazy. The problem with inexpensive ones is that they shoot badly or are really noisy and the safeties are questionable.As far as the legality of shooting in city limits? It's considered the same as discharging a firearm in city limits if you run into the wrong LAO! Our problem down here is that there have been so many calls about coyotes eating pets and destroying property that most of the LAO's turn the other way as long as you're extremely safety conscious and don't get any reports of logging an arrow into someones house. You wouldn't believe how many shots I've passed up on because of concerns where the arrows go after a pass thru. I even use knocks that light up after they leave the string just so I don't leave any arrows in the field for some kid to find later.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users