6 replies to this topic

#1 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:46 PM

What barrel lengths and twist rates are you guys using and what kinds of groups are you getting with your set up? I'm just looking deeper into my conquest of building an AR. I'm thinking I want to buy a 20 in. bull barrel with a 1in9 twist just as long as I can get sub moa groups.

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:14 PM

Have you looked at www.ar15.com? Their is a lot of info there also check out www.calguns.net. In the end I was tired of trying to figure out the best parts etc. I got a stag upper and I am pleased. If you really want some high tech upers go to Noveske, LaRue and I believe Alexader Arms. If I am not mistaken look at colts website they have uppers too. RRA (Rock River Arms) has some cool stuff. It is some much it can make your head spin. It sure did with me when I was looking. Good luck.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

I got mine with the twisted fluting from Whiteoak Armament. http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

I got mine with the twisted fluting from Whiteoak Armament. http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

I think I read you had an ER Shaw barrel, Is that right Shooter If so maybe Shooter can let us knwo if he is happy with the barrel If so I found this deal at Model 1 sales It says thay are built with ER Shaw barrels same price for the 20" barrel 24'' AR15 Varmint Upper Half; .223 Rem; Stainless steel, 1-9, fluted, $50.00 option; 2 piece aluminum free float tube; Bolt carrier group & std charging handle, $100.00 option $510.00 They also have complete kits minus just the lower reicever 20'' AR15 Varmint Rifle Kit; .223 Rem; Stainless steel, 1-9, fluted, $50.00 option; Standard bolt & carrier; Standard charging handle; 2 piece aluminum free float tube; A2 buttstock; Standard A2 grip; Black $585.00 You can add your choose of stock, grip bi pod, charger, etc with minimal cost for the upgrades. They also have 304 and 6 mm PPC barrels avaliable in the above mentioned configeration Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#5 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:48 AM

I have a RRAs Coyote upper its a Chrom molly 20" 1 in9 twist with Vortex flash hider ( Cool looking also) I can easily get below MOA all day long providing I shoot good ammo. Lately shooting 25.3 grs of Ram Shots TAC behind a Sierra 65gr Game king produced under 3/4MOA and just about 3,000 FPS.

#6 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

What barrel lengths and twist rates are you guys using and what kinds of groups are you getting with your set up? I'm just looking deeper into my conquest of building an AR. I'm thinking I want to buy a 20 in. bull barrel with a 1in9 twist just as long as I can get sub moa groups.

With the right loads just about any AR will shoot MOA. I have a 16" lightweight, a 20" Hbar and a 20" bull barreled model and the 20" bull is great to shoot off of a bench or a bipod but sucks in any position shooting. It is so front heavy that position shooting is just a pain in the butt. To get it to balance right you have to add 2-3 Lbs of lead to the buttstock which makes the gun weigh in at 12-14 lbs. My kids like the bull barrel off the portable shooting bench because it soaks up what little recoil it has annd they can see the hits on ground squirrels easier.For any other shooting the 20" Hbar is the heaviest I'd go with if I had to carry the gun or shoot it without a bench. All of mine are 1:9" twist which lets me shoot everything up to the 68-70 grain bullets.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#7 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

I like my Colt Competition Match HBAR with its 20" tube with a 1-9 twist. Shoots 40 - 55 grain pills very well. Have not tried anything heavier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users