#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:06 PM

Traded the previous scope for the latest version with exposed knob. This is a much improve scope than the older model. If you guys are looking for Tactical style glass, don't look no further. The Schott glass has no equal.Here's the scope.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageHere's the picture of the lighted reticule.Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

Nice. What model is that? I am looking for glass for my 338 build.

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:12 PM

3X18X42 35mm MP-8 Reticule Second Focal Plane Tactical Scope. This one will adorn the 338 also.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:18 PM

Think that will be enough magnification for 1000 + yard shooting?

#5 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

From 10X on up is enough for 1K. If I get a chance, I'll laser target at 1K and I'll take picture of it.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:38 PM

Thanks. With a tax return coming up in the near future I will be in the scope market. I ordered my barrel today ... I got a Shilen stainless select match 28". It's just a 1 in 10 twist so I won't be shooting those heavy 300 grainers like you. I am going to set this rifle up so I can hunt with it and play at the range.

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:00 PM

Nothing wrong with 28". Lapua is an efficient cartridge.

#8 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

You never said how much something like that goes for? NIce looking scope, I too am a big fan of the tactical scopes.
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:39 PM

Retails for $1695 --- > http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03uI found one for $1279 --- > http://www.cactustac...products_id=889

#10 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:53 AM

You never said how much something like that goes for? NIce looking scope, I too am a big fan of the tactical scopes.

Just shop around and you might find bargains. Tactical scopes are more robust and tougher than hunting scopes. They're a bit on the heavy side. These one weighs 3lbs rings and all.

#11 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

Thats a heavy scope. But it looks real nice and I imagine it will be great combo with your 338 lapua. How fast does the 338 go when hot rodded?

#12 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:21 PM

With the 300 grain Sierra SMK, I'm expecting 2900 fps coming out of the 30" barrel. With that velocity, the bullet will remain supersonic up to 1700 yards and will have a remaining energy of 1000 ft/lbs. That's about the limit of the rifle effective range. You can extend that a bit more if you're shooting at higher elevation.

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

Why didn't you go with a higher power range if you're planning on doing long range work with it?

#14 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

I don't feel I need more than 18X magnification for long range work. I have scope with 24 and 32X magnification, and I hardly cranked them at that setting when hunting. As a matter of fact, I do most of my shooting at 12X. You have to understand that at such high magnification, you'll have myriads of issue to deal with with your scope. Mirage is one and parallax is another - Field of view will greatly diminished and if your glass is not the top of the line, the light gathering ability of it will greatly reduced, and the picture will be fuzzy. I once took a shot at a Bobcat at a laser distance of 1008 yards and missed by foot at the tailend. It was at noon when the sun was at it's zenith and the mirage was at a boil. Looking through my Leupold Tactical set at 14X, the Bobcat looks like swimming in a bowl of soup. It's hard to descerned the direction and the intensity of the wind in such condition that I have to dropped the magnification at 10X. I thought I gave the moving bobcat enough lead by aiming at the tip of it's nose but it I guessed it wasn't enough. I gave him a scare though when the 190 grain landed about a foot behind him. He dropped the squirrel from his mouth, and took-off running. :signlol2iu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users