• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

OK just in the thinking about it stage, I have been doing alittle research on the topic here is what I have so far. Any one here build one or have any suggestions let me know $125.00 STAG ARMS Stag-15 5.56 Lower Receiver Forged from 7075 T6 Aluminum. Marked 5.56 MM. Made in the USA! $42.00 Ergo Rigid Ambi Tactical Deluxe with Adjustable Palm Rest $59.99 Stag Arms A2 Buttstock Assembly$600.00 Rock River Arms 20" Varmint A4 Upper Half complete with Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle Assembly. 1:8 twist (Not sure about the twist rate though)$180.00 Rock River Arms NM Lower Receiver Parts Kit w/Two STG Trigger (what is the difference between a two stage trigger and one that is not?) $25.00 The BULLET-BUTTON is a product that allows the shooter to drop a magazine with the use of a tool. It prevents finger manipulation of the mag release, and creates a condition allowable under CURRENT INDIVIDUAL INTERPRETATIONS of California lawGrand total 851.99 close to $1000 W/ paper work and shipping Plus cost of a scope IS this resonable could a guy buy one for this any and all input taken Thanks Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#2 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:19 PM

I like to shoot a .40grn or 55 grn Vmax. I went with the Fulton Armory 20 inch 1:12 twist. I would also get a trigger system, I use and love the JP trigger system 3lbs. Good luck and happy building.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:26 PM

Have you actually found a FFL who will sell you the lower at that price or do the transfer?

#4 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:32 PM

I have not I have a friend who is an FFl I and believe he will do it just for DROS I am checking on it as I type :smiley_kewlpics: I know most places are chrging $100 plus $25 for DROS
Rocklin,Ca

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

My FFL will do the transfer if your guy won't. PM me if you need his info.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#6 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

We have a dealer here who is selling lowers (just the housing) for I think $150.00 So it's possible to get one for that price.

#7 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

I just got off the phone with a guy in antelope that can get me the lower for that price. Just need to decide now. Will probably have to do this over a long period of time. Thinking of getting the lower now and putting it in the safe then saving up for the rest. Jeff and red dog thaks for the information Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#8 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

Im not sure what you are going to use your AR for, but I wouldn't recommend a 1-8 twist assuming its 223 cal. for smaller sized critters.A two stage trigger has a longer length of pull then a single stage. When using a two stage there is a little bit of take up and then resistance. At the point of resistance the rifle will fire after a bit more pull on the trigger.A single stage pretty much starts with resistance and then fires the firearm with a bit more of a pull on the trigger.Here is my White Oak Upper AR. ShooterJohn has one just like it. Picture is from a few years ago. It has a 1:12 twist with a single stage Timney trigger group. Breaks just under 3lbs.Posted Image
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#9 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

Thats what i am looking for I will make sure when and if i get t buying the upper i will get a 1:12 twist. Trying to justify this to the wife LOL Might be a long term project a piece here and there Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

What bullets are you planning on shooting?

#11 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:18 PM

Not sure want to use it for squirrels and yotes probably 40 or 50 grn v max Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#12 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:28 PM

I am starting mine now. I got the Stag lower for $150 out the door, tax and DROS included. Will need to figure out all the parts as I go. Shoud be a fun project!Good luck with yours!

#13 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:29 PM

As stated before dont forget to get the proper trigger, there are lots of good ones out there like Timney, McCormick, Geissele etc. I just replaced mine, I went from an 8lb to 2.5lb trigger with the Chip McCormick, it handles SOOO nicely!
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#14 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:54 AM

I've got the lefty Stag and a righty varminter bull barrel. I also have a 20" Armalite upper on a SunDevil (milled) lower but I haven't got a picture of it.Posted Image
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:04 AM

You know, I think I would seriously consider that 1 in 8 twist barrel.

#16 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

Not sure want to use it for squirrels and yotes probably 40 or 50 grn v max Robert

If he wants to use 40gr bullets, a 1:8 twist isn't going to work to well. I think you get more pop from squirrels using a lighter bullet with a 1:12 twist too.
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#17 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

For my build, I plan on getting a DPMS upper from midway using my C&R discount. I can get the 24 inch flattop for 400 bucks.I think you have the right idea and will have a lot of fun with the setup you have listed there.

#18 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

what is a C&R discount ?
Rocklin,Ca

#19 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

A C&R license is an easy to obtain federal firearms license for curio and relic weapons that allows companies to ship weapons 50 years and older directly to your door. (except handguns here in CA)If you send a copy to midway they will give you dealer pricing. For example on the DPMS upper I'm looking at it would save me 60 bucks. Not a lot, but that would pay for the lower part kit. Every little bit helps.

#20 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

Do you guys with AR's use the Bullet Button to keep them CA compliant? If not what methods do you use?

#21 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

I have a bullet button on one and a Prince 50 Mag lock on a second one that I use with 10 round magazines. I rigged my left handed Stag with a Monster Man Grip and a muzzle brake instead of a flashhider and I shoot it with my old 30 round magazines.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#22 spoolnaround

spoolnaround

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

Thats one of the nice things about AR's, you can get it in parts. They are very easy to put together and very upgradeable. I am sure someone in your area isnt scared to deal in a perfectly legal OLL's. I need to get the scope for my newest AR, CMMG lower, RRA NM two stage trigger, RRA 24" upper. I am thinking my next one will be of the 6.8mmGreat info for ya here http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

#23 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:46 PM

You guys are getting me so excited on this I think I'll build one too. Untill now, the only thing I knew about were the abortion ones with the floor plate on the mag well. This just opened a whole new world to me on a rifle I have always loved but couldn't have. Thanks guys!!!!! ;)

#24 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:04 AM

I had planned on building one too. But, we just bought a house, and I'm going to have to put it on the back burner even longer!!! :signlol2iu:
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#25 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:14 PM

Just thought I would up date everyone. I found a FFL in Sacramento that will have Stag stripped lowers in stock in the next week. He quoted me $125 + Tax and DROS. Not a bad deal consindering they are about $115 online plus shipping plus DROS plus Local FFL fees. He said he is going to be at a gun show in Placerville this weekend and at Cal Expo next weekend. Thought I would let any one who is interested know Thanks again for all the good information Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:37 PM

Robert - Are you sure you want one? Have you carried one or fired one? They are a pain in the butt to shoot off of a table at squeaks because of the mag hitting everything. They are heavy as a carry gun though they do give you some quick follow up shots. You can't carry it over your shoulder because they weren't built for that. I just hope you won't be disappointed when you get it. Plus you can't use them on some BLM land and state lands and everyone that sees you with it out hunting will give you the stink eye. I wouldn't recommend taking it on a farmers property until you've oked it with them too. People just don't look kindly on the evil black gun.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#27 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

Why can't you use them on BLM land?

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

Because in some they're restricted as they are on state wildlife areas. I don't know why I guess because they're EVIL!I've been told Colt's are. :signbummer8tl:

Time waits for no one--

#29 spoolnaround

spoolnaround

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

Because in some they're restricted as they are on state wildlife areas. I don't know why I guess because they're EVIL!

I think your wrong on this one. A pre ban papered assault rifle ( :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: ) might be restricted but not a california legal AR.

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:18 AM

I think your wrong on this one. A pre ban papered assault rifle ( :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: ) might be restricted but not a california legal AR.

Well then I could be wrong because all I know about are pre ban AR's. But I was quoted that was AR's period. But then again if you have to call F&G 10 times to get an answer that could be true here too. I just didn't want to take the chance since AR's are so frowned on.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users