32 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:01 PM

I have a 12 gauge now but it is a Winchester Defender. (see pic) It has a short barrel and not much for sights. I think the barrel is about 18 inch. So I was thinking of getting something longer and more suited for hunting. Mainly coyote but also some duck hunting, etc. What size, make and model do you guys like? I am thinking of buying a nice one, something to shoot as well as stare at. I have always heard good things about Beneli but there must be others. I am not sure if I want a pump, over and under or what. Let me know what you think about those. My price range is probably around $1500 (msrp) I get pretty good deals so a $1500 gun will probably run me closer to $1000. (almost no mark up from the guy I buy from)Thoughts?Attached File  winchester1200.jpg   7.26KB   67 downloads

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

Benelli and Beretta both have top notch autoloaders.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

I've been really wanting a Beretta Xtrema after I found out that Remington doesn't make an 11-87 in leftie. The Benelli's feel doesn't seem as tight as a Remington to me, but you can't beat the Super Black Eagle II. There's LOTS of avid duck hunters that swear by them. I'd personally look into the Benelli SBE II and the Remington 11-87 and the Beretta. If you want a pump...Remington 870.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 Granite

Granite

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:27 PM

I just ordered a Benelli Montefeltro left handed model. When I first picked up the montefeltro I fell in love, and I had to have one of my own. Now I just have to wait a few months for delivery. My all time favorite is still the Winchester model 101 that my dad bought at the factory.

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:51 PM

I have a Beneli and love it
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#6 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

Have you seen this from Remington? It is offered in a leftie.http://www.remington...del_1100_G3.asp

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,792 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

Here is a thread on the same subject that may help. http://www.californi...d...&hl=shotgun
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

If I had that much $ to toss at a gun I'd look at the 3 1/2" browning gold or silver hunter in the camo finish. That dura-touch coating on the syntetic stocks feels awsome. I have 3" silver hunter with walnut stocks and I absolutley love it. It's pretty light, points great, and shoots incredibly soft.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

Here is my Benelli super black eagle 2 3-1/2 with a 26" tube ,patternmaster extended chokePosted Image

#10 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:19 PM

So are you guys mainly into autos or pump? I have never shot an auto, but my 'chester pump. Are the over/under ones mainly for skeet? They do look cool.ehd- sweet gun! What is up with the pistol grip? It would seem to make it awkward for field shooting, no?

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:06 PM

So are you guys mainly into autos or pump?.......................

I'm a recent auto-convert and I'll never go back. I shot my reminton 870 pump gun for 17 years and I never had the urge for an auto. Then my grandad gave me his old winchester automatic. It only took a couple weeks and I was shopping for a brand new auto to replace my 870 as my main field gun. The old winchester auto gets taken out ocasionaly to bust a pheasant but the new browning does 99% of my shotgunning now. The pump now wears a 21' barrel and is serving as my house gun.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#12 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

Mine is strictly a coyote blaster. For birds i would think you would want the standard stock. It is a real plus for sitting down /calling. points and swings very well plus tame those 3 1/2 loads to feel like high brass 2 3/4.I dont hunt turkeys , but i know a couple that like the pistol grip for that.. Hope this helps.

#13 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:43 PM

If I had that much $ to toss at a gun I'd look at the 3 1/2" browning gold or silver hunter in the camo finish. That dura-touch coating on the syntetic stocks feels awsome. I have 3" silver hunter with walnut stocks and I absolutley love it. It's pretty light, points great, and shoots incredibly soft.

A friend of mine bought a new browning with the camo coating and it is coming off big time after just one duck season. My old Gold Hunter (10+ years) is just black synthetic and is pretty darn durable. JMO
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#14 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

What size, make and model do you guys like? I am thinking of buying a nice one, something to shoot as well as stare at. I have always heard good things about Beneli but there must be others. I am not sure if I want a pump, over and under or what. Let me know what you think about those. My price range is probably around $1500 (msrp) I get pretty good deals so a $1500 gun will probably run me closer to $1000. (almost no mark up from the guy I buy from)

Here's my new coyote whacker, although it is still a virgin. It is a Mossberg 835 Tactical Turkey shotgun with a twenty-inch barrel and a stock .695 choke. It also comes in a thumb hole model. I also bought a Carlson Dead Coyote choke. Still waiting for the scope rail to mount a red dot scope before I pattern it. With DC shells going for $3.00 and Win Wingmaster HD for $4.00 a pop I don't want to go through the drill twice.http://www.mossberg....ection=products
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:18 PM

A friend of mine bought a new browning with the camo coating and it is coming off big time after just one duck season. My old Gold Hunter (10+ years) is just black synthetic and is pretty darn durable. JMO

The browning users manual says that you have to be carefull about what you wipe it down with. My uncle just uses a wet rag on his and it has been holding up very well.

#16 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote and Bobcat hunting. Also interested in Upland Gamebird & Deer Hunting.

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:55 PM

I have the Benelli Super Nova. I really like it! But if I had the money you have, I'd have purchased a Benelli auto loader. I hear that they really cut down on the recoil. And they keep on shooting with out jamming due to crud build up. This is most likely why the U.S. Marine Corps uses them and loves them!!! That auto loader could help if you missed the first shoot. Here's something I'd love to try, unload all 3 rounds into a coyote before it stopped rolling. The Super Nova has it's pluses. 1)Bigger trigger guard area for gloved fingers. 2)Button on the pump that lets you remove 1 shell without jacking another shell into the chamber. Good luck with what ever you choose.

#17 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I am leaning towards the Benelli Super Black Eagle II (Model 10101, comfortech w/ 28 inch barrel, camo) I won't know the price until Monday but he thinks the camo one will be around $1100 +/-It seems the Benelli is the king of the autos. We'll see... hoping the price is under $1100 but the MSRP is $1690! (ouch) Might be a lot more than I need for yotes but I am sure it will last me for years to come. (and I'd like to try duck hunting in the near future)

#18 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:56 AM

I would consider the 26" tube. Lghter to swing and shoots just as far. Mine cost me 1600.00 time it was over.. Good luck to you . I love mine and being a re-coil action ,they dont require alot of cleaning.

#19 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:45 AM

That was the other question I had, the dealer told me to go with 28 inch. He said, "you're a big guy, the 2 inch won't bother you" so I figured longer is better. :rolleyes: I just want a "standard" gun, one that can do many things well. Bit it did seem to me like 26 inch was a more common size.Also, is yours the Realtree APG camo? Do you like it? I can get either the Max4 or APG, don't know what is better for Cali. (hard to tell in the tiny pictures on the Benelli site) Yours does not look like the APG in the picture but I think that is the only way those turkey / Steady Grip guns come?

#20 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:39 AM

I also recomend a 26" barrel. The recievers on most modern autoloaders are longer than the older designs so you can go with a bit shorter barrel and not give up the long sight plane of a long barrel. My browning has a 26" barrel but it's still the exact same length as my old Winchester that wears a 28" barrel.

#21 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:11 AM

The Benelli's are awesome... Even though mine is an O/U Berreta, but doubt I would recommend it for what you're looking for.HOWEVER, while I personally believe the Benelli semi-auto is the best auto out there, they can also jar your teeth loose, as they are inertia(?) driven... NOT gas.One of my friends buys nothing but Benelli's, but I will not shoot his auto because of that. But hey, I admit I am a wuss! So with that in mind, if I were to buy an auto today, it would be the Berreta (gas) semi auto. Can't recal the model though.Good LuckFrank

#22 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:33 AM

Also, is yours the Realtree APG camo? Do you like it? I can get either the Max4 or APG, don't know what is better for Cali. (hard to tell in the tiny pictures on the Benelli site) Yours does not look like the APG in the picture but I think that is the only way those turkey / Steady Grip guns come?

If it's going to be solely for turkey, get the APG...it's a nice pattern, but if you intend to hunt waterfowl, might as well get the Max4. Not that it will really matter all that much either way, but...
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#23 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

I am not sure what pattern mine is . i think the standard for waterfowl ? I think it blends in real well. I sure would get the 26". Easier to get in the truck, swings better, lighter. dont Listen to frank . Hes kind of delicate when it comes to re-coil. LOLPosted Image

#24 moontiger

moontiger

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:I am a tattoo artist , and a navy vet, my kids and my wife are my world . I am just now getting back into hunting , but have been an avid shooter all my life.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

I like the remmy 870 express myself.
There is room for all of Gods creatures...............Right next to my mashed potatos.PETA People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

#25 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

LOL... Yes, I am too / Eric's correct.... Oh, & yes on the 26" barrel... it will definitely make a difference IMHO

#26 yoteyodler

yoteyodler

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, fishing, archery, being outdoors. Lots of things

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:31 PM

Take a look at the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Turkey. It comes fully camo'ed, with two paters to choose from and holds shells up to 3 1/2 mags. You can get it in thumb-hole stock or pistol grip with adjustable stock length. They run $369 to $500 from what I've seen. I plan on getting one myself!

#27 yoteyodler

yoteyodler

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, fishing, archery, being outdoors. Lots of things

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

Take a look at the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Turkey. Pump action, up to 3 1/2" mag shells, pistol (adjustable) or thumbhole stock, comes camo'ed. Choice of camo patterns. $369-$500. Not for shooting slugs though.

#28 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:13 PM

Posted ImageW/Dead Coyote Choke.
John in Tulare, Ca

#29 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

LOL... Yes, I am too / Eric's correct.... Oh, & yes on the 26" barrel... it will definitely make a difference IMHO

i am, just having some fun with Frank , but in reality the inertia guns do kick more. i like them for their lack of maintainance. Gas operated guns need to be kept clean ,but really no big deal. I here that the new winchester will out cycle a benelli 2 to 1.

#30 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:02 AM

.........I here that the new winchester will out cycle a benelli 2 to 1.

It's also supposed to be the most reliable gas opertated system yet. The same bolt/carrier is used in the browning silver. I also like that they use a real piston ring (like the ones in an engine) on the gas piston instead of an o-ring. I'm really curious to hear the reports on how the new winchester/browning design holds up in argentina.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users