13 replies to this topic

#1 justin_502

justin_502

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:14 AM

Got a new bow made by PSE a few weeks ago finally got out to shoot it, its set at 70# going to use it for hunting deer, But I need to get lot of practice first, I would not want to have a bunch of deer running around the moutians with arrows in their ass B) So I went target shooting and shot a lot of arrows, The next day my elbows were killing me! At the gym I could not do a lot of excersizes. Is this normal mabey just takes time to start using that new muscle? Arm wrestling the bouncers at the bar friday night probally did not help much eather. But saterday I was fine I shot the bow sunday I was sore all the way till thursday! Im going to go try to get some rabbits and after that I will practice more mabey a few less shots this time.
If Your Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tuff!

#2 NEhunter

NEhunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

Pulling a bow definaly takes muscles you don't normally use every day. Closest you can come I think is pulling the cord on a chain saw over and over. I'm starting into archery hunting as well and can definaly tell after shooting a few arrows. Just need to keep working those muscles.

#3 bryanhardie

bryanhardie

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:26 PM

Can you adjust it down to say 40-50 pounds and slowly work your way up to 70? I'm planning on buying my first bow sometime this year too.

#4 justin_502

justin_502

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

Most bows have a 10# give or take mine can go from 70# to 60#. Im not a small guy eather 6'4 225lbs Workout 3 days a week. Its just using muscles your not used too, think I over did it. I shot way too many shots that weekend!

#5 mojohand

mojohand

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

70#...wow, that seems pretty heavy. My bow is set at 50 and it definately takes getting used to

#6 goldenarrow

goldenarrow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

give a little time the muscle will work in it is one that you are not used to using if you turn your limbs down make sure you do it equally 1 turn on top 1 turn on the bottom or it will move your nok set up and down. and do not go out more than 4 turns from bottom.

#7 justin_502

justin_502

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:27 AM

I need to buy new arrows, is there a brand that is better then others or are they all about the same? Also anyone understand those damn size charts

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,471 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:56 AM

You should PM Goldenarrow. He owns an archery shop and would be best to tell you what you need. You might even be able to get the arrows from him.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 justin_502

justin_502

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:03 AM

Wow great advice, thanks much on that. I wish I was closer to your shop, I would come down and pay you guys and buy from you. The closest shop to me was one in Simi Valley. They are ok but do not really have much info, just want to pick a number and sell an arrow

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

It does not hurt to strertch out a little before also.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#11 Stick'em

Stick'em

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:55 AM

practice shooting while sitting with your legs crossed. if its not comfortable then you might be too heavy on the draw.thats usually the position i'm in while callin.
why doesn't somebody pull out a .45 and, BANG, settle it?-Bruce Lee

#12 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:08 PM

you need To set the draw weight so it is comfortable to draw. You will shoot tighter groups if youdo. Try 60# and see the difference. Most of the best shooters "tune down" their bows and do not shoot max draw weight . Just my 2 cents
Take your kids hunting and fishing while you still can! LongbowJay

#13 archerjohn

archerjohn

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:I BOW HUNT AND I ALSO HUNT WITH A 17 & 243 FOR PREDATORS ,PIG AND DEER

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

justin 502 there is a great shop get help for all your needs a bit far from you in fullerton down in oc if you need help it is worth the drive not many helpful shops in socal if this is your first bow turn it down to 60# an work your way up i gave my old bow to my son set at 75 he couldn't shoot more than 10 good shots an he is built like you an thought it would be easy turned it down for him for a month now he is up to 72# on a 4 hour shoot with me

#14 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

Do lots of 12 ounce curls... :) It will not make you any stronger but it will definitely help with the pain! :)
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users