Photo

where to get a fair price on a leupold scope?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BigToach

BigToach

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Fishin, shootin, disc golf, beer drinkin

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

Im looking for a VX-II 4x12 40mm AO LR duplex reticle. baseline price i have found them for is $459. can anyone help me find a better price or know a place that has good deals? I really only am looking for this particular scopethanks, Travis

#2 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:20 AM

You can sometimes find a better buy on Ebay. I bought a VXIII 6.5-20X40 there last year and saved $100. However.........It's been reported that there have been quite a few counterfeits sold. Leupold is the one that's warning us. I checked my scope and it's authentic but I've purchased 2 new Leupolds since then and have decided to pay the freight. Leupold scopes are a fair trade item which means that the dealers who sell them agree to not sell them at a reduced price. Leupold's warning may be their way of attempting to curb the Ebay sales at discount prices but who knows? I have a VXII 4-12X50 with the LRD crosshair and love it. You get a little more FOV over the 40 and it gathers light like nobody's business.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#3 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:30 AM

BTW......To me an adjustable objective is a drawback in a calling rifle. While it's true that the majority of shots are under 100 yards you occasionally get shots out much farther. Screwing around getting the scope focused costs time. My 6.5-20 has the AO but I've decided to use it mostly as a bench and squirrel gun. Leupold says that even with the parallax off as far as it can go the difference in accuracy is slight. It's importance to bench and long range prairie dog shooters is critical but for other hunters it matters very little.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#4 basqueron

basqueron

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Retired. like to travel with hunting in mind.

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:38 AM

Try swfa website andgo to the sample list. pretty decent buys with some protection. just picked up a vx11 6x20 ao 2 years old sun shades delivered 370 also got a warrantee that if not happy i can return

#5 Gunner

Gunner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

I would give Donnie a try athttp://www.bigrivert...age/1752077.htmI didn't see your scope listed, but he can still get one. When I bought my mark 4 he saved me about 300 bones! B)

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

First place to start looking is find the model number of the scope you want. The Leupold model you want is a 61285.Try this place I did a Froogle search and found it tied for the cheapest at $399. But it comes with FREE shipping so you save a bit more. http://www.opticsbes...ml?feed=Froogle

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

One of the best places I've found is in John's backyard. Well almost! The name is Bear Basin Outfitters in Sacramento, IF I got the name right?! Anyway they have free shipping with purchases of $250 or there abouts. I bought 2, 3x9 Zeiss scopes for $399 ea. The last time was approx 1 1/2yrs ago, but believe the price should still be about the same.I also agree with Moe, in that adjustable objectives are not worth it on a "predator" rifle. I've had 2 or 3 over the years & regretted it each time. The scope is heavier & more expensive & really can see just fine without it for predators.While I've owned several Leupold 4 x 12's & 41/2 x 14's & other what nots, I personally like 2 1/2 or 3 power on the LOW end. Even 4, 4 1/2 & especially 6X can be too much for predators that get up close & personal. I cannot count the # of times where I've heard or read that someone could not see the animal when too close. Of course the scope was usually turned up to a higher magnification, but would still be difficult from 4-6 powers. Not so with a 2 1/2 or 3X. Very difficult to beat a 2 1/2 x 8 or a 3 X 9 (my favorite) for predator hunting in other wordsGood Luck in Your SearchFrank

#8 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

I have a VXII 4-12X50 with the LRD crosshair and love it. You get a little more FOV over the 40 and it gathers light like nobody's business.

I got the same thing on my 30.06. AND LOVE IT!!!!!! IMO, it was the best investment my ex-girlfriend ever made. :signs165xk: I'm not sure who has the best prices but I would not buy any Leupold product on e-bay.

#9 BigToach

BigToach

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Fishin, shootin, disc golf, beer drinkin

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

hey thanks guys for all the replys. i have a couple emails out to see who comes up with the best prices. looks like big river tactical is gonna be the way to go at 399. but currently out of stock. waiting to see how long it takes to order.

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

There is always the used market.http://www.predatorm...;gonew=1#UNREAD
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#11 bumper

bumper

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Soaring, flying, machinist, welding, inventing tools and things mechanical and electronics . . . oh, and shooting.

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:22 PM

I got my VX-L at http://www.scopesnmore.com/Best price I could find *and* they throw in a set of Leopold rings and base for free. Since my Cooper already had the base installed from factory, I asked for two sets of Leopold rings instead, one low and one medium, as I was getting conflicting reports (even from Leopold tech support) as to which rings were needed for the VX-L (it's got the cutout to fit lower to the barrel). Scopes 'n More gave me both sets of rings for free. BTW, the low rings fit with about .012" clearance.bumper

#12 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

http://theopticzone....x?CategoryID=45 :drinks:

#13 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

:drinks: He said fair price and Leopold in the same sentence.. They are the only scope I use personally.. But they can get spendy. Cabela's sometimes has some good deals.. I don't like ebay, to many copies or rip off artist..

#14 michigan

michigan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:First Bowhunting, then Michigan Whitetail either way, then a whole lot of everything, California Turkey, Quail, Waterfowl, Blacktail, Pigs, and hopefully Coyote and Elk soon!

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:57 PM

I buy almost everything I buy online by doing froogle searches. You can either go to froogle.com or google.com and click on shopping. Typem in what you want (model numbers help like shooterJohn said) and check the first few cheapest to see which is the best after shipping and go for it. Service is almost gone from society today so I figure they lifetime warranty will take care of any problems I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users