• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:23 AM

Got a Leupold boresight. Kind of interesting gadget. It has a magnetic base that slaps up against the front of the tube. Turn the switch on and the is a graduation grid the light up. the referance marks for the barrel location seem a little hoaky, but I was playing with it on my rifle last night. It didnt seem to matter if you located it on the barrel 1" up or 2"up. Curious if anybody has been using it?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:04 AM

I actually have two of them one the old model and one the new model like yours. They both can be moved around on the barrel and still give correct information. But they are not made to boresight your gun. There isn't such a tool. What they do is after you get your rifle sighted in it tells you where your cross hairs are located on the grid you see. Then you make copies of the grid paper you get with the tool and mark the location of the cross hairs on the paper grid. Then you can remove the scope put it back on and find your zero again. What they are great for is if you go hunting and bump your scope or the gun is dropped you can slap the Leupold device on and check your scope. If the grid doesn't line up you adjust the scope until it matches where it should on the grid you made previously. Believe me it's saved me several times as I either didn't have a chance to check my gun when I arrived somewhere or I banged the scope. I've gone one further and made grids for extreme yardages. That way I can slap the device on and set my scope and it's all adjusted. Then when I'm finished I put it back on and adjust the scope to the closer ranges. I hope that helps understand how it works. It's nothing more than a tool to help you keep your scope where it belongs and save you having to fire needless rounds.

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

I use the Leupold Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter, as a boresighter and it works about as well as most boresighters. Gets me on the paper at 100 yds. It also does all those other things that SJ mentioned. :roflmao3[1]:

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

I keep one in my "range" bag along with a whole bunch of other goodies. It is a nice set up!Of course I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to use it and had to get John to explain it to me.

#5 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:03 PM

I keep one in my "range" bag along with a whole bunch of other goodies. It is a nice set up!

Ditto.

#6 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

thanks john. Can you pdf a blank grid. i didnt recieve one in mine when i got it from midway. i e-mailed Leupold ,but no response as of yet. Once i have one i can make copies.Thanks for the explanation on the unit. Kind of neat ...

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

I have it on a CD around here I'll find it and shoot you a copy.

#8 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:59 PM

Thanks John.!!

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:32 AM

Thanks John.!!

Hey John I found my target cards. I didnt know they were the size of chewing gum wrappers!!!!!

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:57 AM

Great Eric! I found mine but when I went to scan them to email them to you I found out my scanner bulb is burned out. :signs165xk: Does anyone know if those bulbs are replaceable? I really like this scanner more than any other I've used it's an HP but 6 years old.

#11 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

Great Eric! I found mine but when I went to scan them to email them to you I found out my scanner bulb is burned out. :signs165xk: Does anyone know if those bulbs are replaceable? I really like this scanner more than any other I've used it's an HP but 6 years old.

Dump it and get a new one. !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users