24 replies to this topic

#1 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

Finally got out to the range this morning to pattern my recently bought (6 mos ago) Mossberg 835 Turkey 12ga. This shotgun has a 20 inch barrel and will accept 3-1/2 inch loads. It uses fiberoptic sights.Posted ImageLoads were Dead Coyote 2-3/4 inch "T" and Federal "00" 3 inch plated shot.Chokes used were the Carlson "Dead Coyote" .660 and the Mossberg X-Factor Turkey .695 that came with the gun.I set my target board out 40 yards and used sandbag rest. The target board was made of 3/4 inch plywood, using a PVC homemade base.First patterning target was using the Mossberg choke and using 1 round of each type of ammo. As shown in the picture, the black dots are of the DC load, and the squares are of the 00 load.Posted ImageSecond patterning target was using the Carlson DC choke, with 1 round each. Dead Coyote "T" load is shown in squares, with black dots as the 00 load.Posted ImageI am interested in just what you fellow shotgunners think of these patterns. Being this is my first time out with a shotgun since the '70's when bird hunting, this is alot different game. To me, the Mossberg provided choke seems to be alot tighter than the Carlson, but seems about equal in either one the number of hits on the body of the target. Any comments are welcomed.John

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

First comment don't use 00 buck. You'll lose or miss more than you'll get. If you want use #4buck it's the way to go. Dead Coyote works too but stay away from the 00 buck use it for around the house. I like the looks of that Mossberg choke myself. It looks like it covered the target fine.

#3 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

First comment don't use 00 buck. You'll lose or miss more than you'll get. If you want use #4buck it's the way to go. Dead Coyote works too but stay away from the 00 buck use it for around the house. I like the looks of that Mossberg choke myself. It looks like it covered the target fine.

Ditto. I don't buy the Dead Coyote because it's so expensive. You can get the same thing (under a different name) for a lot less money.

#4 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

Ditto. I don't buy the Dead Coyote because it's so expensive. You can get the same thing (under a different name) for a lot less money.

Arise..... well..... what is the name??? I have found comparable ammo, but it cost same or more that DC. If you know of something else that is non-lead (I live in NO LEAD country), then I would like to know what it is and where?ShooterJohn.... Yes, I have heard both pro and con on the use of 00 shot. This stuff is just what I had available to me at this time, without going to Fresno to the "real gun shops". (ours here are just Mom&Pop or Big 5) Funny, one of our members here, Les, who is the Predator hunter for the county of Kings, told me he uses only 000 !! So, I would gather there is alot of different opinions pertaining to this topic as there are in which brand of Cornflakes :signs1111cr: I take all advice and after testing, decide on my own, as you would do also. There have been some good tests in regards to BB Tungsten by Remington. That costs the same as DC. I might give that a "shot" also down the line here.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

I know Winchester has come out with a new non lead coyote shotgun round.http://winchester.co...px?productid=54As for the size of the shot I think 95% of people that are serious shotgun coyote killers use #4 buckshot. I mean why limit your chances for a hit by using only 9 pellets in 00 buckshot. JMHO

#6 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

Why are you using Dead Coyote 2 3/4? I use 3" and 3 1/2" outta my Benelli with the Carlsons choke. Kicks like a mule but it's lights out on yotes. Just ask ehd.

#7 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

Mike.... the only box this Mom&Pop shop had, and it was at least 3 years old !! I need to get up to Fresno to Herb Bauer's and get some #4 and some 3"DC. That 2-3/4 went right through that 3/4" plywood with no problem.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

It couldn't have been three years old they haven't made it that long. :smiley-sorry:

#9 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

It couldn't have been three years old they haven't made it that long. :signlol2iu:

Come on John, time hauls ass when you're having fun . . . and get older! :smiley-sorry:

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

Alright it could be close to that old I found a post from October of 2005 and it was real new then. :smiley-sorry:

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:06 PM

That's a nice gun I like the thumb hole stock. Whem you did the 00 buck test how many hit the target .

#12 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

That's a nice gun I like the thumb hole stock. Whem you did the 00 buck test how many hit the target .

All 15 hit the paper; not all of course hit the "doggie" LOL At least half of them hit the "doggie".Paper size is 4ft x 3ft for info. Doggie trace is full size from a template I found on another forum several months back. 13 sheets of 8x10 paper taped together; cut-out then laid on a piece of cardboard, traced and cut-out to make individual targets on butcher paper.

#13 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

It couldn't have been three years old they haven't made it that long. :signs165xk:

date on box says 3/05. Also, box is well worn and the price $24.95. Just going from what the sales/owner told me, as only box he ever had in his store, and never sold it till I came wandering through.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

Alright it could be close to that old I found a post from October of 2005 and it was real new then. :signs165xk:

See I had changed my answer after I said that. Too bad that stuff cost more now. Did they have any old bass fishing lures in that store? I've found some great old stuff poking around those old places. I even found an old hardware store that was still selling leg hold traps here in California. I knew the guy wouldn't believe me that they were illegal. :signs165xk:

#15 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

I need one of those scatter guns :signs165xk:

#16 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:40 AM

The Carlson DC choke arrived for mine yesterday. I'll try to do the same test this weekend, if it's not raining, using DC and #4 buckshot.SteveH

#17 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:54 AM

I have tried all the differant shots and right now for me D.C 31/2 is the best. Why 31/2 ? they are a little hotter, 4 more pellets than 3 " which can mean the world of diff. on a marginal shot. I found that carlsons choke over-choked the 3-1/2 . I went to a pattermaster extended range choke for 3-1/2. My Benelli pump loved the primos dead dog choke . Every gun is differant. You are doing the correct thing in targeting at 40yds. I would still shoot a couple @50 and 60 just for fun. I have had great sucsess to 60 yards with DC. Also I have never tried the Winchester stuff. There pellet dia. in that shot is .177 ,vrs. tha DC is .20

#18 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:23 AM

wow, there is a lot of stuff to know. can u guys tell my wife??? i thought i could just buy my 870 and be on my way. ill look for the #4 though, i hope it works for my gun, not sure about the chokes. i the dc chokes expensive. again will anyone want to tell my wife lol robert help

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:49 AM

Robert don't worry about all of the accessories. The #4 buckshot is helpful though. But when I was younger I used to use an old Rem 870 30 inch full choked barrel shooting #2 shot. It still knocked them down. You don't always need the latest and greatest new fangled do-dads to shoot coyotes. Just getting out there will do you more good. Because you'll gather more experience and that's what it's all about.

#20 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

........But when I was younger I used to use an old Rem 870 30 inch full choked barrel shooting #2 shot. It still knocked them down.........

What did you use to keep the dinosaurs out of the garden? :good: :signs165xk:

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

My old side by side double barreled 10ga. That was my dinosaur getter. :signs165xk:

#22 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:56 AM

My old side by side double barreled 10ga. That was my dinosaur getter. :smiley_kewlpics:

That says ouch all over it.!!! Frank might want to use that for trap shooting. Is it a Remington? :)

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

No, it's an old Baker with double triggers. First lesson you learn shooting it is NEVER under any circumstances put two fingers inside the trigger guard when it's loaded. :signs1180lq: Unless being charged by the afore mentioned dinosaur! :smiley_kewlpics:

#24 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

:signgreatreport3kg: :lol: B)

#25 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

dont tell peta that lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users