#1 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:03 PM

Well I got Him done today :) My first complete build, all work has been done by me Except for the Bolt Forging, that was done by Roy Davis May, he does a great job.Rifle started life as a VZ-24 8mm Mauser.Now has been transformed into a New .243 Winchester.Barrel is an A&B 24" .243 Short Chamber in the white, 1:9 TwistI cut a tight Chamber then beveled the Throat for esier feeding.Stock is a Corelite Synthetic, I had to rasp in for the Bolt and for the Trigger,Also had to sand alittle to Free-Float the Barrel.Trigger is a Bold Optima, it was set at #4.5 :o I set it down to #2, it is very crisp and no Over Travel :) Had to open up the Trigger Gaurd to accomodate the side Saftey.Drill & Tapped the receiver and installed Lupy Rings & Mounts.Used Oxpho Blu for cold BluRange Report to follow as soon as I can find time to go.Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:29 PM

Sterling, you did a very nice job on putting that rifle together. I hope it shoots well for you. I got my rifle together this morning but had things to do so didn't make it to the range. Mine is just a slide together assembly not anywhere as difficult as yours. She looks great! :)

#3 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:40 PM

Thanks John:Where is the Pic of yours, I need Pics.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

Unfortunately I got home after dark tonight so tomorrow I'll try to get a couple of pictures. I hope to get to the range on Tuesday too so I'm looking forward to that.

#5 canis disrupter

canis disrupter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:49 PM

Very nice Sterling!I 've been waiting for the update. Thanks for listing all the build up parts, I have been thinking about a mauserproject myself. Jeez , my rem 700 .243 rebarrel job isn't even cold yet and I'm wanting another... Love those .243's (maybe I should think about starting a support group for the craving- call it ...mmmm...G.W.A.)I haven't worked up any final loads yet, but I sure like the CT ballistic tips with the coating, 55gr & 95gr. The cool thing about your project and the attention to the chamber is, when you look at the first shell casing fired...that perfect, concentric, fully sealed the gasses, shiny neck, your vision will blur...from the big ol smile on your face!! :) Eric

#6 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:00 PM

Here is the First Range Report:First off it was Very windy 15-20 MPHWin cheapie Ammo.Trigger is a tad to light, 1.8 lb , I will readjust it to 2.5 lb.Also I still need to bed it, with that and hand loading I think I got an MOA rifle.I had no problem hitting the 6" gong at 200yd.I like this Rifle, very pleasant to shoot, needs good glass.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

That's respectable shooting. A little tuning and some handloads and you'll be all set. :blink:

#8 canis disrupter

canis disrupter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:47 PM

Dang, I hope you're smilin', thats some good groups for the first shoot.Those conditions show you what a nice round the .243 is, you can have fun out there even with a breeze that would challenge a lighter caliber. Thats a project you can be proud of...Good Job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users