Photo

What can be built on a Remington 700 Mag action?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#61 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

I sent the folks at Manners Stocks an e-mail a few days back and still have not heard from them. I was actually inquiring about the MCS-T stock.Attached File  1.jpg   39.28KB   4 downloads

#62 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

Wow, that Seekins is $50 cheaper than the Badger Ordnance. But then the Badger I am looking at is a left handed version.http://www.seekinspr....com/rails.html

Attached Files

• Attached File  Rail.jpg   10.94KB   34 downloads

#63 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:22 PM

I have to run downstair to look at my Seekins base. I tought the base were ambidextrous. You can contact Glenn and see if he can make you one... he is a nice guy. I'll be ordering his 35MM ring for my IOR. I really like the 6 screw model. Here's a pair on my 300 Win Mag. By the way, the base on these rifle was made by Near Manufacturing. They're up there with Badger.Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#64 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:13 AM

Thanks, I will ask. Hey, I need to order my dies today. Do you happen to know what size bushing I will need to go with the dies?

#65 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

Manner will build them left handed and for a L/A so I ordered one and now am starting my 7 week waiting period. Here are some pictures of what I am getting in black and for BDL bottom metal.Attached File  1.jpg   37.77KB   5 downloadsAttached File  web_009.jpg   5.83KB   6 downloadsAttached File  web_268.jpg   3.77KB   6 downloads

#66 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

I highly recommend Seekens base and ring. They're made of anodized T6 aluminum and tough as nail. The machining is also superb. Here's the link. Talk to Glenn.http://www.seekinsprecision.com/

I heard back from Glenn, and he does and will make left handed bases. I am going to order one today and get it on the way. I also stopped today and picked up some Reloader 25 and Retumbo powder. DF, you really need to stop giving me ideas on where to spend my money! :popcorn: :roflmao3[1]:

#67 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

DF, you really need to stop giving me ideas on where to spend my money!

Look at it this way, it's for a good cause. We need boost in these economy. Just look at the Dow in this last couple of months. My 401K at work is taking a beating. :harhar1[1]:Wait 'til you start shooting that thing. I just missed on a once fired Lapua deal at another forum. The guy is selling it for a dollar a piece. He has over 1300 pieces. I ordered 400 pieces but it's a first come first serve deal. The guy e-mailed me that everything was sold in less than 15 minutes. I can't type fast enough... Bummer.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#68 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

Look at it this way, it's for a good cause.

No worries, John has also been a bad (good) influence and twisted my arm until I bought the Giraud case trimmer, a kick butt annealer, and the Chargemaster Combo unit. Then he had to go and tell me he had a left handed Benelli. :smiley-sorry:

Wait 'til you start shooting that thing. I just missed on a once fired Lapua deal at another forum. The guy is selling it for a dollar a piece. He has over 1300 pieces.

I will have everything ready once the stock is finished in 7 weeks. All of the parts are ordered now and on their way to the 'smith. He will have the barrel chambered, threaded, a brake installed and on the action with this Jewell trigger waiting for the stock. He is going to install rings and bases for me as well as the scope. When I go to pick it up it will all ready be on paper and ready to roll.What I need to do is join this range up my way and start hanging out there with the guys who do that long distance plinking. I am new to this and have a LOT to learn. But my mind still works like a sponge and I am good at absorbing info. Yes, so I am going off on a long winded speech here, but I am really looking forward to becoming more proficient at the long range stuff with this rifle and my 308.

#69 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

What I need to do is join this range up my way and start hanging out there with the guys who do that long distance plinking. I am new to this and have a LOT to learn. But my mind still works like a sponge and I am good at absorbing info.

Get ready, once you start wacking those animal at long range, there's no turning back. This thing is very addictive. :roflmao3[1]: In time though, you gonna find yourself discussing Coriolis effect, air density and kinematic viscosity of air... what effect it has on bullet flight. You're going to learn the advantages of using VLD bullet for long range shooting and then finding yourself arguing it's merit for use in hunting. Also, you're gonna learn at what point of the bullet flight, where the supersonic range ends, and the transonic range begins - which ultimately end in the subsonic range... where a bullet became unstable and start loosing its ability to maintain it's flight . All these are interesting topic to learn and I'm sure you're up to the task :rofl2:

#70 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

My barrel is chambered and threaded.Posted Image

Attached Files

Edited by Cranky Farmer, 25 March 2008 - 02:08 PM.
added second photo!

#71 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

Who did the chambering? I just received the Lawton 7000 last Saturday and I have to wait ten days before it gets to the gunsmith. I have everything ready also.

#72 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

#73 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

That Vais brake looks really nice.

#74 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

Thanks, I am impressed with how it came out. Here is a better view from the front.Posted Image

#75 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

Finally got my Lawton action and did a side by side comparison between the Lawton 7000 and the Remington 700 action. The two action are almost identical in every respect. The dimension differs very little. Action diameter (Lawton 1.364" - Remington 1.358") Bolt diameter (Lawton .699" - Remington .700") Lug thickness (Remington .467" - Lawton .469"). Posted ImagePosted Image

#76 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

So which one will you use for the Lapua build?

#77 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

So which one will you use for the Lapua build?

The Lawton supposed to get the nudge but I ended up buying my gunsmith personal rifle. That's the rifle on my other thread. Actually we're swapping component. I get the rifle with extra bolt and barrel, dies, and load data plus cash. He get's my barrel, stocks, and action.

#78 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:32 AM

I better go look for your other post!

#79 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

Well, Glen Seekins was less than helpful and dropped the ball in getting my left hand base so I am having to change up to a Badger Ordnance 20 MOA base instead. My stock will be done in 2 to 3 weeks!

#80 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:12 PM

I'm really surprised. He used to be very accomodating. I guess, he is a bigshot now. He promised to deliver my 35MM ring by the end of the month. I hope he won't renege on that.

#81 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

5 weeks ago when I asked if he could do it he told me sure, he'd have it in the mail within a week. Today he told me it would be 3 to 4 weeks. My stock is going to be finished in 2 to 3 so I told him I'd pass.

#82 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:56 PM

If he keep it up, he'll start losing his customer base.

#83 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:55 PM

I got some pictures today of the last little bit of machine work that was done to the rifle. Other than the stock work, this is it!!! :bananna: Anyway, the bolt got a Tubb's Sako style extractor installed today along with the ejector. Here are some pictures of the process and final product.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#84 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

My stock will be DONE in a week!!

#85 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:11 AM

My stock is done and ships out today!

#86 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:15 AM

Cool... WIll have to post some pic of the beast...After talking to you... I now want to start my build...I just need to find and action..

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#87 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

My stock is in and the action is being bedded to the stock today.Posted Image

#88 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

It's going to the range tomorrow!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#89 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

And now the scope is on!Posted Image

#90 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

oh man... Looks great.... :doh[1]:

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users