Photo

What can be built on a Remington 700 Mag action?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#31 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

Here's what I gathered so far. I have the stock, barrel, trigger and bottom metal. I'm still waiting for the action.Posted ImageHere's the round... next to 50 BMG, 308 and 223.Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#32 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

Hmmm. A 338/300um would be nice but you wouldn't be able to use factory 338 ulta mag ammo in a pinch. If you did you'd end up with about .010 to much headspace. Then again, anybody who goes thru the trouble of building a custom rifle always has a good supply of handloads that are tailored to that rifle. There is also a definite cool factor in being able to say that you shoot a 338 Lapua.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#33 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

Heath, let me know if I of any help.

Why did you go with that barrel? I se Pac Nor has one in the same twist and I could get them to flute it to reduce the weight.

#34 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

Why did you go with that barrel? I se Pac Nor has one in the same twist and I could get them to flute it to reduce the weight.

Mike Rock barrel are cut rifled. He is the only one besides Boots Obermeyer who makes barrel with 5R rifling. A lot of tactical rifle builder use his barrel for their 308 and 338 Lapua build. Nothing wrong with Pac-nor. As a matter of fact my 308 has Pac-Nor barrel. Their barrel are button rifled and has very uniform twist.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#35 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

what's the difference between the 338 lapua and the 338 win is the case bigger thus holding more powder?

#36 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

I see one thing wrong with it . Your going to shoot a A zone deer with it. At a great distance. Buy the time you git to it the condors will of ate it up. :good: :yikes[1]: :) And then you will have to kill a condor for choking on the bottle cap he found next to the deer :) :) Hope you have it soon I whant pics of the damage it dos. sounds like a great rifle.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#37 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

. Your going to shoot a A zone deer with it. At a great distance.

I want to go watch or see some video!

#38 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

Here's a sample of what these type of rifle can do. This was done with 338 Edge, same as 338/300 RUM. Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge took this shot in Idaho. The Edge is built around Model 700 Action but utilized the HS Precision Stock, to keep the weight at 16lbs... the Idaho maximum weight limit for a hunting rifle. These type of hunting requires a very accurate rifle, a meticulous handloading practice, a thorough understanding of exterior ballistics, accurate rangefinder, an accurate ballistic programs and lots and lots of practice.Here's good read for those who are interested in this type of hunting. Dan Lilja of Lija Barrel wrote it.http://www.riflebarr...ing_hunting.htm

#39 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:21 PM

DF, I assume that you know someone with a 338 Lapua to get that info on a 300 grain bullet and it reaching 2900 fps? How different from a 338 Remington Mag is the Lapua? Is it worth the extra $$$ to buy the proprietary brass and related components for the Lapua?Thanks.

#40 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:50 AM

Heath, All else being equal, 338 Lapua have a slight edge when compared with 338 Ultra, probably a difference of 70 to 85 fps advantage. Lot's of published data for the Lapua are very conservative. You seldom find published velocity for the 300 SMK exceeding 2800 fps just because most of the rifle chambered for this round are the Tactical type with no more than 26" barrel lenght. With 30 inch barrel you could easily exceed that. Brass quality on the Lapua is excellent but now that Nosler is making the Ultra brass, that should not be an issue anymore. My buddy and I look into these when he first contemplated on building his rifle. We went into the 338/300 Ultra route to equal Lapua performance on a budget. As you are aware already that everything about the Lapua is expensive. I might still take this route in my build though. I just found out that the wait for a TAC 338 Action from Stiller Precision out of Texas is only 2 months. This action has the Model 700 blueprint with slightly beefier bolt made just for Lapua and slightly longer barrel tenon thread for long barrel.

#41 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

Ok, so why did you choose to build a 338 Lapua?

#42 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

I believed Lapua is much more efficient. Brass are a bit stronger and can withstand more pressure than the RUM brass, therefore will last longer. Lapua is now adopted by almost all the military snipers in Europe and in the US, so you know what that mean. Any cartridge adopted by uncle Sam will be a winner. Talk to Kevin Wyatt, maker of the Wyatt extended magazine from Oregon this morning and I really like the guy. He spend a couple of minutes talking to me about rifle in general. Very knowledgeable so I decided to send my rifle to him for chambering, as soon as the action arrive.

#43 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:29 AM

DF, what contour is your barrel and what dies are you buying?

#44 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:23 PM

It' s going to be an MTU contour and will have 6 deep flute on the barrel to reduce weight by about a pound. I found another gunsmith that can chamber it to 338 Lapua Improve. Regular Lapua round has a lot taper for my liking. The gunsmith will have custom die made specifically for my rifle. He will be using Hornady blank die with replaceable neck sizer like the Reddings. I probably replace the Williams Bottom with either HS Precision or the Wyatt Detachable Magazine. The action is allready here and I'm just waiting for the Cooper to arrive to do the paper work at the same time. Have the option of making this rifle a dual caliber also. I might do that since I will be ordering another bolt for this rifle anyway just for the Lapua. I was thinking of 30-06 Ackley Improved. That would be neat.

#45 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

MTU ???

#46 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

Marksmanship Training Unit (USMC). Same contour as the M40A3 Marine Sniper rifle.

#47 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:07 AM

Finding a good left handed stock is proving to be VERY difficult so far. So basically I am still looking at a few synthetic options before just going with a wood stock.

#48 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

The action finally arrived. The blueprinting was terrific and bolt is smooth... almost no wobble. Now off to the gunsmith.Posted ImagePosted Image

#49 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

Nice! Is this the action for 338 Lapua?

#50 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

Yep! still waiting for the Lawton though. It will be here next week. I can then decide which one will be for the Lapua and which one for 30-06 Ackley Improved, which I'm contemplating to build also. Both action are almost identical.

#51 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

I thought you had another action coming as well. Glad to hear I didn't loose my mind yet!

#52 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

Actually, I'm all set to build the Lapua on this action but, I found a stainless Lawton 7000 action, that I don't have to wait 8 months, so I jumped on it. I always wanted a 30-06 Ackley Improved anyway so, I might as well build both. I have an Obermeyer, 11.25 twist 5-R barrel blank on hand for the Ackley. It will be perfect barrel for it.

#53 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

I am nearly set as well, I just need to decide which stock I want to use and get it bought.

#54 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

I am nearly set as well, I just need to decide which stock I want to use and get it bought.

Are you looking for a Tactical Stock or just regular hunting stock. HS Precision 2000 will be good. Manners makes Kevlar that is lightweight and in tactical configuration. MPI is another one that is worth looking into.

#55 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

That HS is one of stocks I am considering, actually. There aren't may choices for a lefty so I may end up having to modify and fill a right handed stock to meet my needs.

#56 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:09 AM

I just spent the rest of my soda and barley pop money for the month and picked up a new left handed Jewell trigger that is adjustable from 1.5 oz to 3 1/2 lbs. My barrel is in and will be chambered within the next week or two. My action is blue printed and ready for the barrel to be chambered. And I've got a scope on the way!Now all that is left is the bottom metal for the action, a stock and the Badger Ordnance base that I am going to buy. That of course isn't counting brass, primers, powder and bullets. I assume I should use Mag primers?

#57 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

Read this they the the Federal 215 primer.http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=889

The Federal 215 primer has been used with the .338 Lapua Magnum since the beginning, and is considered as the most powerful commercial primer for rifles.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#58 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

Thanks, John. DF, the best prices on Lapua brass and Sierra 250 grain MK's so far is through Powder Valley Inc. What have you found?

#59 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

Thanks, John. DF, the best prices on Lapua brass and Sierra 250 grain MK's so far is through Powder Valley Inc. What have you found?

Thanks for the info Heath.John, you are right. Federal 215M is the only primer for these large Magnums. Even the larger Weatherby use it exclusively.

#60 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

Now all that is left is the bottom metal for the action, a stock and the Badger Ordnance base that I am going to buy.

I recommend Williams Obendorf style or Sunny Hill for your bottom metal. They're the best. Badger is the best there is for Tactical rifle but for hunting I highly recommend Seekens base and ring. They're made of anodized T6 aluminum and tough as nail. The machining is also superb. Here's the link. Talk to Glenn.http://www.seekinsprecision.com/For your stock, contact Tom Manners. I believe his MCS-Gat stock can be ordered for lefty.http://mannersstocks.com/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users