36 replies to this topic

#1 tbrincefield

tbrincefield

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

Well, I am either buying a new plinking rifle or a new bow, and I was just wondering what you all recommend. I'm looking for a mixture of value and quality. I've seen sets on cabela's and bass pro's websites for around $500, and am considering them. Can anyone recommend one brand over the other? I've owned Proline and PSE, preferred the PSE, but can't find a new one to handle. Impact Archery is close, but seem to only carry Hoyt, or at least they like them a lot. $800 is just a little pricey. Help please...Tim

#2 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

I have a Hoyt myself, but I really like BowTech. I could not pass up the Hoyt for the deal I got on it.

#3 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

Call me a cheapskate but I am shooting a PSE Nova single cam. Purchased the bow at a Sportsmans Wharehouse 2 yrs ago. Have never had any problems with it. Bow it set a 60lbs draw.--jim d

#4 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:16 PM

I'm shooting a Hoyt, just got it for Christmas. I love everything about it, except that I keep breaking nocks at 30 yds :signgreatreport3kg: , and 1 robin hood so far. My wife doesn't enjoy the continual flow of $$ supporting my habbit.
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#5 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:51 PM

My solution to breaking nocks is to buy self-adhesive target spots, the ones I buy are 6" diameter but I cut them down to 3" dia. and only shoot one arrow at each spot.--jim d

#6 tbrincefield

tbrincefield

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

Yeah, I hear they make these things so that anyone can shoot them accurately now!;) Breaking nocks at 30 yards is pretty dang accurate, I hope I'm not too rusty. Used to be a 4 inch group at 25 yards was an off day for me, now, I don't know. I may get to Impact Archery again and put that Hoyt on layaway. You can shoot it at their rage as much as you wasnt while your paying for it, and they have a real good service plan included. Thanks guys.

#7 nmlhunter

nmlhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING, eating, HUNTING, sleeping, HUNTING..... What else is there?

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:11 PM

I LOVE my Reflex Super Slam made by Hoyt. I also own a PSE Mach X which is for sale, personally never fell in love with the skinny grips, great bow though. Went to the Sacramento show today and shot a Hoyt Katera (very nice 330 fps felt a bit heavy to me though. Also shot the Mathews Drenalin OMG Nice very nice bow. Looked at the Bowtechs but they did not have a place to shoot them. Just my 2 cents.

#8 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

PSE makes a great product! My last bow was an old PSE Elite!!

#9 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

I LOVE my Reflex Super Slam made by Hoyt. I also own a PSE Mach X which is for sale, personally never fell in love with the skinny grips, great bow though. Went to the Sacramento show today and shot a Hoyt Katera (very nice 330 fps felt a bit heavy to me though. Also shot the Mathews Drenalin OMG Nice very nice bow. Looked at the Bowtechs but they did not have a place to shoot them. Just my 2 cents.

What are you asking for that PSE?

#10 nmlhunter

nmlhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING, eating, HUNTING, sleeping, HUNTING..... What else is there?

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

Well I bought it from a guy who shoots for PSE and it was a gimme for him and he had never shot it and I have only shot it a handfull of times so I will leave the wrist strap and I think I have the original string(I always change to winners choice). I am asking $400.00. I am very careful with my equipment and very picky. It is in tip top shape, brand new. Here are the stats: Set- 29" 60#Draw- 27"-31"

#11 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

I have always been a Hoyt guy but I bought the new Mathews Drenalin and it's my favorite yet. Especially if you go into deep county and hike allot, it's allot lighter than my Hoyt’s every were. It's very smooth and accurate.. Buying a bow is like like buying a pistol.. Go down and shoot them all and see which one feels best for YOU.

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

I'm a Reflex guy. They're kinda like Hoyts chevy model. GMC pick-ups cost more and you can get the same basic thing in a Chevrolet for a bit less cash.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#13 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:39 PM

2007 Diamond Black Ice set at 70lbs.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#14 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

I shoot a PSE Baby G I like the bow but would not recommend it for someone just starting out.. It is not a very forgiving bow.. To be good with it you need to know what your doing..
Sportyg;Founder:HHHwww.hhh-usa.orgLM:NAHCMbr:TRCP

#15 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:24 PM

Anything that moves :signs165xk: :flag: :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I have an old Hoyt compound and a Ben Peerson recurve both are older than alot of you. :flag: :signs653wf:
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

Tony you should start calling that Pearson the rib stretcher since it had that effect on you. It sucks to get old. :flag:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#17 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:51 PM

I shoot a PSE - but I have never shot anything with it yet, 'cept targets...one of these days I'll bag something with it!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#18 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

Tony you should start calling that Pearson the rib stretcher since it had that effect on you. It sucks to get old. :doh[1]:

Are you telling me Im old :) :) :signlol2iu: I named it the ripper
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#19 WALNUTFARMER

WALNUTFARMER

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

Hey I just picked up a new hoyt bow I bought the vetrix from a guy who needed money he sold it to me with sights arrow rest and stabalizer for 500 and he barley shot it. So then I sold my hoyt power tech to my brother in law for 500 free upgrade for me.

#20 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

Craig.... you are "So Bad" to dish your brother :signs1180lq: :) Last bow I had was back in the '70's... a Bear Recurve at 55#. Dont think I could pull 50# now even with a "gear bow"..
John in Tulare, Ca

#21 Birddog 1

Birddog 1

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

PSE Diablo #60 ,single cam love this thing good warrenty good people to deal with get one :1087: Birddog 1
Don't drink from down streame!If we lose freedom here, there is no place on earth to escape to.This is the Last Stand on Earth. Ronald Reagon 1964

#22 OutdoorAviator

OutdoorAviator

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

I've been shooting a Martin Rage for the past few years. I absolutely love it, it's killed it's fair share of pigs/deer/bunnies, and I like the size.

#23 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:07 AM

I have an AR-31 that I bought at Golden Arrow several years ago. I really like the way it shoots.

#24 Garrett Gallo

Garrett Gallo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

I have a hoyt and a PSE. Theres nothing like my Hoyt though. Its the only bow i shoot or would ever buy now

#25 mjhogfan

mjhogfan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Any kind of hunting.

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

I shoot a Reflex made by Hoyt. I love it. It is made great for a good price. My buddy shoots the new Matthews Drenalin and I really can't tell a difference except for the 300 more dollars he spent. I believe that as long as you buy something new from an established brand you will be very happy. Bows have really come along ways since I started 22 years ago. Just about everybody has a great product.

#26 NEhunter

NEhunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:50 AM

For the $500 limit check out Mission bows. Made by Matthews and shoot very good. I personally will be shooting Whisper Creek. Made in Utah. Fantastically quiet and shoot very very well.

#27 HC Nomad

HC Nomad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, gun and archery<br />Fly Fishing<br />Backpacking

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

I bought a Mission X3 last year. It has been great. It shoot better for me that the Mathews Switchback or the Hoyt’s. Plus it was a lot cheaper, $325.

#28 boarn2hunt

boarn2hunt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, reading , movies, archery.

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:36 PM

check out the article in the jan/feb bowhunter magazine about hoyt. i have a hoyt vulcan i bought last year from impact archery. happy with it so far . need to do more shooting with it. i like the weigth and quietness.

#29 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

I'm very pleased with my 07 BowTech Guardian. Ed F

#30 nvstickbow

nvstickbow

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery and anything else that gets me outside with my family.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:44 AM

I love my sticks. Couldn't go back to the training wheel bows if I tried.:smiley-sorry: I used to shoot the bowtech's and switched to hoyt just before I quit shooting compounds. Both are terrific bows. I like my longbows and recurves now though. You just can't beat 200 fps or less and no let off!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users