14 replies to this topic

#1 bjkearns

bjkearns

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

I am needing a scope for my marlin 917V and was wondering if the eupold VX-ll 6-18AO with the Long Range Duplex Varmint would be to much scope for an HMR. It seemed like 6 power would be good for close vermin and plinking and the 18 end of things would be good for longer range vermin and target shooting. I found it for $407 shipped from opticsplanet.com. Also, Leupolds are made in the US correct? Please can i have your thoughts. joseph

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

A 6X18 would be a good choice. The higher magnification allows one to get the maximum benefit from the inherent accuracy of the.17. MHO

#3 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

Well I use a 3-9x40 on my 17HMR and IMO it is plenty of scope for the range of the gun.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

I've got a 6.5-20 Nikon Monarch on my Savage HMR. I use it for squirrels and such so I like the higher magnification.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

Unfortunately I live in the North end of the state myself. I drive about 5 hors to the good shooting grounds and that's even farther North.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 socalbry

socalbry

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

Leupold scopes are made in Oregon and are backed by a lifetime warranty.--Bryan

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

Made in the US is a misnomer; more like assembled in the USA. Leupold glass come from suppliers in Asia and I suspect some of the low end scope like the VXI is probably made somewhere else. 6X18 is way too much magnification for the 17HMR in my opinion. A good quality 3X9 or 4.5X14 will be more appropriate. When I was just a newbee, I have these misconceptions that the only good scope is the one that has more bigger X on them. Well I found out later that, I can pretty much do most of my shooting at short ranges with the scope set at 4X and no more than 12X at long ranges. Higher magnification scope have their place in shooting competitions, like the F-Class, Benchrest and 1K but for hunting I believe you're better serve with low to medium magnifications scopes. DF
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

Leupold makes a good scope.

#9 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

I've got that scope on my .204 and really like it. It should work great on the 17hmr.
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:17 AM

I have a 17 HMR with a higher power scope on it and let me tell you it sure makes shooting those little squirrels at 100 + yards easier in the sense that you're better able to put that little bullet where you want it.

#11 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

I have a bushnell elite 4x12 on my .17hmr. It does the job nicely even on prairie dogs at 150 yds. Greater magnification would be nicer when punching paper though.
Don't be stupid

#12 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

8.5-25X Mueller on my HMR, love it and it was under $200

#13 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

The Hummer is good for squirrels and such out to 250 yds or further. 6-18X sounds about right. That way you can make sure you're lined up to put the bullet through the center of the eye. :roflmao3[1]:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#14 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:25 AM

Leupold 6-18x40 would be a great scope for your 17, even if you don't need all the magnafication for shooting , it's great for spotting there little heads in the grass. leupold is as American made as you can buy, some componants are made out of the USA, go for the 6-18.,,,300wsm

#15 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:14 AM

Leupolds are better than good. The price you quoted sounds low. Basically a $100 discount. It's extremely difficult to get any kind of a real bargain on Leupolds. Leupold has issued a warning about counterfeit scopes on the market. BEWARE!!!BTW..........IMO if you can afford to put that kind of scope on a 17 HMR then do it.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users