3 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

I've been saving most of my brass for the last year because I knew I would eventually start reloading. I have 175 pieces of Winchester 223 brass, and 800 pieces of Lake City 223 brass. I've read that LC brass has thicker case walls (NATO standards), and therefore has less room for powder, which translates to higher pressures. But it's still good brass, isn't it? Will I need to decrease powder levels due to the thicker case walls? Do reloading manuals cover all this info? I have two on the way. I'm new at this, but I figure I'll start with the LC brass and work up a good load. I think 800 rounds of 223 will get me thru a Cedarville trip without running out. Eventually I'll get more Winchester brass and probably stick with that once the LC wears out. Or, do I "need" more brass now? I don't shoot as much as some of you guys, I'm probably "average".

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,471 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:20 AM

Lake City brass has changed over the past few years. It's thinner now and holds more volume. The easiest and safest way to start is by weighing your like manufacture brass. It's also more accurate by weighing too. I like LC brass but my favorite is Winchester.Oh God, what's average when it comes to shooting! B) Did I miss an important memo about shooting and normalcy. :blink: Once you find a load that does well in the gun you shoot you can load more to have on hand. I loaded 4000 rounds to use at Cedarville last year. :huh:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:26 PM

. I loaded 4000 rounds to use at Cedarville last year. B)

How many rounds did you shoot?

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,471 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:47 PM

Of that bunch I loaded I've shot over 2800 and some change. I was trying to use up some 50 gr. V-MAX and Nosler Ballistic Tips too. B)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users