3 replies to this topic

#1 forestfolk2u

forestfolk2u

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:56 AM

I have a Remington 700 VSF in .223. I just bought a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme reloading set and have a couple of questions about dies. 1. Does it make a difference if the die set is marked SB / small base or not when I will be using a bold action rifle ? 2. What other mfg. dies will work in a RCBS press ? It's been a long time since I last reloaded time has gone on and I find the memory has followed. Thanks to one and all who can help me with this. I'm trying to buy my dies off of ebay to save a few dollars and these two questions keep coming up. Ken :lol:

#2 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:38 AM

Those small base dies are used with semi-autos that have to have the case full length resized in order for the action to operate and feed properly. You can use them but if you full length resize your brass all the time you will just overwork and wear it out faster is all and have to trim it more often..After you initially load and fire your brass you should be able to get by with just a neck sizer or just size your brass so the neck get sized down 1/4 to 1/2 way to the shoulder to be able to hold your bullet. You will then have brass that is fireformed to that particular rifle and may or may not work in any other rifle depending on chamber differances.Dies have standerdized threads and any of them will work in your press,,Walt

#3 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:37 AM

As Walt said unless you are sizing brass from an auto loaded they are not needed and will overwork the brass. I reload brass from my Mini-14 and have no need for them.Standard Redding Dies work great.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:56 AM

Walt and Sterling are correct. B) I like Redding dies for my rifles. I would steer clear of Hornady dies due to a big problem Sterling and I found. They make the dies too small. :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users