• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

I learned a big lesson yesterday. I had gotten my chipper/shredder back from having a new bearing installed on the chipper shaft. It sat for a couple of weeks and I went to use it yesterday. I put a little fuel in it but it just wasn't running like it should. Sort of hunting on the throttle response. It sounded like it was running out of gas. So I refueled it and started it again. It ran but I had to keep the choke part way on and it just didn't have any power or sound quiet right. I ran it 2 tenths of an hour and said this is ridiculous. I thought the place that did the warranty repair on the bearing had done something to my Honda engine. Plus when I went to shut it down it smoked and it never had previously. I was fuming but it was getting dark so I hooked up to it and hauled it back to the barn. Today I went to call the place that did the repairs and give them a piece of my mind. But they were off today due to the holiday. So I thought I'll drain some fuel and check to see if anything is out of the ordinary. I pull the drain screw on the carb and hey this gas doesn't look right. I dip my hand in it and hey this isn't all gas it's diesel. I go get my gas container and it's full of diesel. A friend of mine stopped by a couple of weeks ago and I showed him my new tractor. I side I've got to find a place close to get some no road tax diesel. He said I'll give you some diesel from my equipment tank in the truck. I had a brand new YELLOW diesel container and an older red gas container sitting in the shed. My phone rang and I told him I'd be right back. The call took longer than I expected and he stuck his head in the door and said he had to run. Guess what? He filled both containers with diesel. I can't believe that engine even ran on the diesel. :drinks: I guess I should have smelled it before dumping it in. Man I'm sure glad that shop was closed today or I would have felt like a real jerk yelling at them because I put diesel in my gas tank. :rofl2:

#2 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

:drinks: And you're actually admitting to this??? :rofl2:

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

Hey least it didnt kill it :drinks: I dumped some diesel into a lawn mower.. It did an abrupt about face and rolled over belly up LOL Never did run right ater that LOL... Good thing it was a holiday LOL.. I can just see them laughing and cursing you if you had hauled it down there for service....

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

Yeah I'm admitting it but only because I didn't fill up the containers. Man was I mad when I noticed what it was. I'm glad I checked it out or I'd have gone down to the shop tomorrow and told them what I thought of their repairs. :drinks:

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

:drinks: :rofl2:

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

:roflmao3[1]: thanks for the chuckle shooter hay that happens to the best of us.I am surprised you didn't notice the smell when you poured it in gas has a strong smell and is noticable . Let me tell you a story this guy I know had a repair shop someone stole a 5 gallon container of fuel and dumped it in there car and I asked the guy why didn't you stop therm he said that they just poured diesal in there gas car LOL .

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

If it had been warm out I probably would have noticed the smell but it's been cold and I guess my sniffer isn't so hot.

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:31 PM

OOPS! Once in a great while I'll get somebody bringing in a piece of equipment that "doesn't run" only to find out that it is out of fuel. I always do the Billy Bob Thornton "Sling Blade" voice and tell them "It aint got no gas in it" :roflmao3[1]:

#9 Jared Plumlee

Jared Plumlee

Varmint Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

LOL reminds me of a time when i pulled into a gas station and started pumping GASOLINE into my chevy duramax diesel (sold it a year ago)...i pumped about 5 gallons into it before i caught what i had done...it was still under warranty at the time so i went ahead and topped it off with DIESEL...so it had about 5 gallons of GAS and 20 or so gallons of diesel...that truck ran just like it always had and never missed a beat....i guess its not near as bad as putting gas in a diesel motor but surely it cant be good....

#10 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

:signs1180lq: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

#11 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:48 AM

Same thing happen to me back in the early 90's, when on vacation to British Columbia, stopped for fuel. They have the same law up there as does Oregon, they'll pump your fuel, by law. Well, pulled up to the Diesel pump, and told the kid, "filler up with Diesel". I didnt pay any attention to him, and just before he finished, I had noticed he had put in Gasoline ! (There was a sticker on the tank door of the truck too). Well, I couldnt go anywhere, and finally got the manager to have them drain my tank (32 gals) while I sit in that lane. They werent going to do it, but I wasnt going to move either, so it was a standoff. Finally, the manager gave in, and those guys were "hose draining" into 5 gal buckets. Took them 6 hours. When they got done, I told them, okay now "DIESEL". I got ready to go, and the manager said I had to pay for both the gas and the diesel. !!! I just laughed at him, and told him to call the RCMP and we'll let him decide. Of course, he didnt want to do that, and I got to go with paying just for diesel. Course, they didnt offer any apology nor anything. When I got home from vacation, I wrote that company (BP) and told them of my displeasure, but of course they never replied back either... OH well...at least it never hurt my engine, as I never ran it with gas in the tank. I am sure there was some residule gas in the tank, but not enough that I could detect any difference.

#12 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:55 AM

That's too funny!!!! I remember talking with a guy that kept having his gas can stolen out of the back of his truck when it was parked in the driveway. Well he worked at a municipal airport and figured he'd fix things. Filled his new gas can with JP something or other. Never had gas stolen again after that.

#13 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

Thats a good one...

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

One of my buddys came home one evening and saw a car full of migrant field workers were out of gas about a quarter mile down the road from his place. That night his dog barked so he went to the window and could see one of them siphoning fuel from his wifes car.....A MERCEDES DEISEL!!!!!! He figured that it was worth the 2.5 gallon gas can worth of fuel just to watch them get themselves into an even bigger mess. The next day they had the distributor cap, wires, and spark plugs all over the ground around the car. :) They weren't anywhere around so to recoup his losses on the fuel he took thier car parts!!! :censored[1]: :653: They eventually came back with a big gas can full of gasoline but they didn't have any ignition parts anymore!!! :)

#15 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

:653: :censored[1]:

#16 USNGOAT

USNGOAT

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:35 PM

I can get on here and post some comments now. Don't know what the problem was and I have not changed anything on my computer but who cares I can get in now and that is what matters. Shooter that is a common mistake made by many each and every year and this one was not completely your problem. Get this one. When I was 7 years old I had an Honda Z50R mini bike. Since I did not have a job getting gas was something taken care of by my parents or grand parents. My grandfather always had gas around in old 2 liter soda bottles for me to use and he also used them for lawnmowers and such. All I had to do was ride up the sidewalk about 15 houses to gas and go. Well my grandfather had a carpenter shop attached to the side of the house and spent most of his retired days there working on all sorts of stuff. Even got two gun cabinets that are full out of the same shop. He was in the early stages of prostate cancer and kept a gallon milk jug out there to take a leak in as he could not be guaranteed to get into the house. One fine afternoon I was in the need of some gas and stoped by to top the tank off. Nobody was home so I helped myself to what I though was gas. You can predict the rest of the story and the bike still ran the rest of the day with a little less than a half gallon of gramps processed fluid. By the time he made the call to my old man on what he tought had happened the tank had damn near been ran dry so it was topped off with some premium gas and never skipped a beat. Needless to say I try to pay a little more attention today with what I am putting in my dirtbike gas tank. hahhahahahahah Still running Honda's though!!!! :censored[1]: :653:

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:54 PM

:653: Good thing you didn't have to siphon it! :censored[1]:

#18 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

One of my buddys came home one evening and saw a car full of migrant field workers were out of gas about a quarter mile down the road from his place. That night his dog barked so he went to the window and could see one of them siphoning fuel from his wifes car.....A MERCEDES DEISEL!!!!!! He figured that it was worth the 2.5 gallon gas can worth of fuel just to watch them get themselves into an even bigger mess. The next day they had the distributor cap, wires, and spark plugs all over the ground around the car. :crazy: They weren't anywhere around so to recoup his losses on the fuel he took thier car parts!!! :smiley_kewlpics: :smiley_kewlpics: They eventually came back with a big gas can full of gasoline but they didn't have any ignition parts anymore!!! :eck05:

Reminds me of a story I heard about a farmer who passed away a couple years ago. Seems some migrant field workers had their beater break down on one of his dirt farm roads. He never saw them just woke up one morning and this beater car is on his farm road. A couple weeks goes by and he's had it so he takes a five gallon bucket of diesel and fertilizer and sets it in front of the bumper. Then he sticks a road flare in the bucket goes back about 150 yards and proceeds to try and shoot the road flare. Well he missed the striker part of the flare so had to get another road flare. This patern continued for some time until the bucket also was full of road flares. Finally he hit the stricker with the bullet from the rifle just right and a huge explosion happens that blows the car end over end backwards. But now he's got a huge hole in his farm road and the beater car in seriously worse condition still there. So he called up another guy and told him what happened and the other guy told him to put the car in the hole and cover it with dirt which would be a lot less trouble then trying to find enough dirt to fill the hole. So he did that and life went on. I've often wondered though if some migrant worker eventually came back at night with an alternator in one hand trying to figure out just where he left his car.

#19 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

Seems everyone had done it one time or another. LOL!

#20 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

After high school I worked at a welding & machine shop for a friend's mom who had inherited the business when her dad died. She usually fueled up the company's flatbed Ford at the gas station down the street that offered full-service. It had the old 6.9 diesel and one day the gas jockey pumped the tank full of gasoline and sent her on her way. She made it less than a mile before the engine gave out. The gas station ended up footing the bill to have the complete fuel system flushed and a brand new engine installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users