14 replies to this topic

#1 findangle

findangle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

Hey guys I was looking at getting myself a Leupold RX-III Digital Rangefinder and was wonderingif anyone had used any of the leupold rangefinders...and how well they picked up targets and ranged-any input will help! thanks guys

#2 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

I bought a RX-II just before deer season this year. It's a great rangefinder but I think I'm going to sell it and go with a Bushnell Elite 1500. The ONLY complaint I have about the Leupold is that when I'm trying to use it in my blind, it will not read past the shoot-through netting. It keeps saying "3 yards". The Bushnell supposedly has a setting that will read through it, otherwise I'd just keep the Leupold. About 2 weeks ago I used it to range a couple deer on the side of a hill at 535 yards. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The Leica fan club should be chiming in anytime now... :653:
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,952 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:35 AM

Buy a Leica Wes and you won't have to buy another rangefinder again. The pros and guides all buy the Leica for a reason. I've tried all but the new Leupold and the reason I haven't tried it is I have a Leica.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

OK, now I am curious. I plan on purchasing a range finder some time in the near future. I want it to read out to 1000 yards. I have heard that the specs given are somewhat generous to say the least, something along the lines of: 0 to 800 yards but 0 to 500 on Deer size objects. So who builds one that you could actually get an honest reading from, on Coyote sized objects, at 1000 yards?I didn't intend to hijack this thread, mods fee free to move it :653:

#5 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

I like mine use it all the time I have the RX-II ranges out to 750 yards.

#6 Gunner

Gunner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:21 PM

I'll have to agree with SJ. I recieved a Leica 1200 for Xmas. I took it out today and ranged a coyote at 595 yds. and a small juniper tree at 1155 yds. The optics are great, and it acquires distance very easily. Also works great at night, due to the red display. I've used 2 different busnell's in the past, they work alright, but dont hold a candle to the Leica.

#7 jacobpaschall

jacobpaschall

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all things to do with accurate rifles. Use to competition benchrest shoot (NBRSA). Avid varmint hunter and handloader. Have all kinds of varmint guns, from facotry to fully custom.

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

OK, now I am curious. I plan on purchasing a range finder some time in the near future. I want it to read out to 1000 yards. I have heard that the specs given are somewhat generous to say the least, something along the lines of: 0 to 800 yards but 0 to 500 on Deer size objects. So who builds one that you could actually get an honest reading from, on Coyote sized objects, at 1000 yards?I didn't intend to hijack this thread, mods fee free to move it :smiley_kewlpics:

I'm not postitive, but I don't think they make a rangefinder that can range a coyote sized object at 1000 yards. You have to understand how a rangefinder works. As the laser goes out, it is like a cone. The farther out an object is the wider the laser is. Most rangefindes will hit the ground before a coyote at about 400 yards making them useless on a coyote past that distance. Like the guys said before me, a leica will go out a little farther, but not even close to 1000 yards on a coyote. The better the rangefinder, the tighter the pattern is on the laser.

#8 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

Thanks, I did not know the laser was conical, I just assumed it would be a narrow beam. I will have to do more research on the matter before I jump in and buy something that wont suit my needs.

#9 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:49 PM

Buy a Leica Wes and you won't have to buy another rangefinder again. The pros and guides all buy the Leica for a reason. I've tried all but the new Leupold and the reason I haven't tried it is I have a Leica.

But can you rangefind through small branches & brush with the Leica, or do you need a line of sight that's 100% clear? Could you do me a favor and give your Leica a try through some see-through mesh at about 2 or 3 feet and see if you can get an accurate reading on further objects? I've heard nothing but good about the Leica products but I'd hate to spend the money just to end up in the same situation.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:52 PM

All laser rangefinders have compromises. You will need a clear line of sight to the object you are ranging. Most of them range with an accuracy of + or - a yard. With a coyote on a hillside at 1000 yds the laser beam will cover more than just the coyote. But, you will get a reasonably close range readout, if you can hold the rangefinder on your target. Gather up a bunch of your friends that have rangefinders and go out in the field. Make sure you get the Leupold and the Leica in the group. Test the bejesus out of all of them. Then go back to town and buy a Leica. :DMine is an old original 1200. The only thing I'd trade it for is a Geovid. Well, maybe not, the Geovid is a lot of extra stuff to carry around when you're crawling over boulders and dodging rattlesnakes.Edit : Most have a minimum range. On my Leica it's about 20 yds. Standing 2 yds back from a screen door it ranges the trees out back at 50 yds while ranging through the screen.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#11 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

I understand you need a fairly clear line of sight, I'm not expecting to range through trees or even a whole forest. I just need to make sure that some light mesh or a branch or two isn't going to alter the reading. My RX-II will range just fine if there's a couple branches but will not go through the mesh.

#12 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:08 PM

I'm not postitive, but I don't think they make a rangefinder that can range a coyote sized object at 1000 yards. You have to understand how a rangefinder works. As the laser goes out, it is like a cone. The farther out an object is the wider the laser is. Most rangefindes will hit the ground before a coyote at about 400 yards making them useless on a coyote past that distance. Like the guys said before me, a leica will go out a little farther, but not even close to 1000 yards on a coyote. The better the rangefinder, the tighter the pattern is on the laser.

Yes, they do. They're the Swarovski Laser guide and Leica Geovid BRF. I was able to range deer at 1100 yards with my Swaro and a highly reflective target at 1900 yards. Even my older Nikon Buckmaster 800 was able to range deer beyond 600 yards.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#13 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

My Dad just got the RX III but we haven't got a chance to use it yet.
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#14 Gunner

Gunner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:18 AM

Here is a good deal on a Leica 1200http://www.cameralan...x.pl?page=40525

#15 findangle

findangle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:01 PM

hey DEERSLAM if you could post the results...and thoughts on that rx III that would be greatly appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users