3 replies to this topic

#1 Garrett Gallo

Garrett Gallo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:26 PM

I live in paso robles inbetween LA and San Fran im looking for some type of river ot good pond to fly fish around my area maybe a couple hours away. Any help or hints would be greatThanks for your helpGALLO

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

Well there is plenty of ocean for you to fish if your interested in fly fishing for perch or maybe leopard shark. There is Morro bay area and Pismo and Avila beach. Just drive up the coast and check things out in your DFG fishing reg book and you will find plenty. As far as lake and streams I don't know too well maybe Lake Nacimieno? Good luck and enjoy the area its a great spot to fish hunt and ride a motorcycle. :signs1180lq:

#3 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

i learned how to fly fish in bishop.. but i was mainly up in the mountains on the lakes.. dont think they're open till spring now.. the owens is also real good for flying you have the pleasant valley res. just outside bishop and also the part of the river that flows through bishop.. i haven't dont the owens yet but my next trip up there im gonna.. good luck..

#4 troutnut

troutnut

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

I live in paso robles inbetween LA and San Fran im looking for some type of river ot good pond to fly fish around my area maybe a couple hours away. Any help or hints would be greatThanks for your helpGALLO

Get your float tube and head to Lake Nacimiento on the FULL MOON in March and April. The white bass will be spawning. But they don't really get active until the water temp reaches 57-59 degrees in the morning and over 60 degrees in the afternoon. It is GREAT fun. It is the best place to fish down there by far. If I get my bassboat big motor fixed by then, I'll drop 'ya an email and you can tag along when we go. 40 to 100 bass days are a reality during the pre-spawn. We go to "the narrows", where the feeder stream comes into the lake. You can fish from shore there, if you can find a way down. The white bass are cousins of the striped bass, and they eat threadfin shad. Any baitfish imitation like Clouser minnows, or SST fly works great. You need a full floater and shooting heads. There are lots of spotted bass too. It is WORTH playing hooky from work at that time of year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users