14 replies to this topic

#1 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

Have any of you used this scope for squeeks? How does it work for you? Are the rings in the recticle accurate yardage for 100,200,300,400+500 for a .223? Do the rings block your view of the target? This would be going on my Savage SPS .223

#2 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

Nikon makes quality scopes. I don't own that particular scope but I've read, and seen how the system works... the same concept as Burris ballistic flex, except the Nikon has ring instead of line. Should be good for predators or big game hunting but not for small varmints. I like the ballistic flex better.

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

I own the Monarch 3-9 40mm with the BDC reticle and I shot with it the first time today. I loved it on my new 30-06. I sighted my rifle in with approx. 40 rounds that includes me playing around and going for the 400 yard target. I used the cross hairs at 100 then the 1st circle at 200 and the second at 300 yards. I am very confident with it out to 300 but I need to figure out the bullet drop out to 400. As far as with .223 I imagine you will want something like a 4-12 40mm. But I liked the circles because it allowed me to see the target easier rather than cover it with cross hairs.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:34 AM

I have at least a half dozen Nikon scopes that are mounted but none are the BDC reticle. I can tell you that their glass is excellent.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

I just bought the 4.5-14x40 buckmaster with the BDC reticle for my Savage model 10 predator in .223. I just mounted it this weekend, but am looking forward to using it.

#6 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:35 AM

I just bought this scope for my muzzel loader and it works great. Dead on!

#7 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:25 PM

shot countless of the little bastards with this reticle! can't go wrong with a buckmaster!

#8 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:09 PM

I have a Buckmaster 6-18x40. I haven't personally looked through it yet, but the wife says it's awesome. It's going to be mounted on a DPMS AR chambered in .308 when I get home.

#9 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

I just bought the 4.5-14x40 buckmaster with the BDC reticle for my Savage model 10 predator in .223. I just mounted it this weekend, but am looking forward to using it.

I'll be interested in a range report from you with your .223. Let me know how the circles line up at 2,3,+400 yards if you can. Thanks to all for the input.

#10 Bayslayer

Bayslayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:35 AM

I just put a 3-9x40 Buckmaster with the BDC recticle on my AR-15 and took it to the range on Saturday. The BDC circles did not match up with my gun. When I went to make shots out to 500 I had to use where the thin crosshair turns thick, and the 500 circle I used for 400 yards. I have a 16" barrel so im sure it would be better if I had a 20" barrel, then it would proabably be close. I still like the scope, shooting 1" groups at 100 yards is good enough for me. And I was shooting Black Hills rounds loaded with 50gr Hornady V-Max bullets.

#11 LuckyShot

LuckyShot

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:41 PM

Just a thought. What is the realistic distance you plan to shot? Sight for 200 so it is spot on at 50 and 200 then say 2" high at 100 and 3" low at 300. Do you realy shoot 400 or 500? I looked at getting that in the 3-12 with side focus but now plan to save the money and just get the regular retical for the reason above. By all means get what you like though because it is your gun and your money.I think the nikon scopes are a great deal though and they are what brand will get my money.

#12 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

I will zero it in at 100. I will take many shots out to like 400. It all depends on where the squeeks are. Last year There were lots out at the 400 distance but I did not have a rifle that could do that shot. I'm just trying to gather a general consensus in order to make my decision if that is the one I want.

#13 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

I will zero it in at 100. I will take many shots out to like 400.

What 223 load are you using? Do you know how much your bullet will drop at these distance? Let's use the excellent 55 grain V-Max with a B.C of .255 as an example. Average velocity of these load at least in my rifle, is 3100 fps. With a rifle zeroed at 100 yards, the bullet will be 3.2" low at 200, 12.6" at 300 and a wopping 30.2" at 400 yards. That's ample enough to miss even a bigger target like coyote. AT 500 yards, you need to compensate 5 feet to hit the target. These without taking wind into consideration! The Nikon ring measured 2 MOA I believed, a bit more than 2" at 100 yards. At 400, that should be 8 inches. This is ideal if your shooting big games but not ideal for small varmint at that distance. A flex or a dot reticle will be more appropriate for this purpose. Hope these help. Regards DF

#14 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:55 PM

I've been looking at some others but this one caught my eye. I'm hoping Jeff will make it to the range soon so I can get his range report. My other choice I have in mind is the Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II with the ballistic plex reticle.

#15 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:53 PM

Nothing wrong with these type of reticle as long as you understand it's limitation and it's intended use. However for small target like squirrels, there are better choices. Fine flex, dots, Leupold varmint reticle, mil-dots are more appropriate for these type of shooting. Good Luck, DF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users