Photo

Knives, what do you use most...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Knives... (49 member(s) have cast votes)

What's you favorite type?

1. Belt knife (15 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Folding hunter (23 votes [38.33%])

Percentage of vote: 38.33%

3. Pocket knife (22 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:15 PM

So what type of knives do you use the most? Brand names and type of knife, like a folding hunter or sheath knife. Do you carry a pocket knife?

#2 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

I carry a Spyderco Police model.. Great knife....

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

Make sure to vote. It's multiple choice so you can vote for more than one. I use and carry a combination of each as well as a diamond hone to touch them up with. The diamond hone I carry you can see here:http://www.amazon.co...mp;linkCode=asnIt also handles serrated edged knives as well as gut hooks. It folds up too which is a plus.

#4 goldenarrow

goldenarrow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

I carry the Buck Omni Hunter and my everyday knife is Buck Executive

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:03 PM

I buy the cheap - 20 knives for $30 (or whatever) through Sportman's Guide. They will easily last me a year or two or so and I always have a sharp knife. I can give them to friends if they need as well. I do have a nice expensive Colt sheath knife, but it's too big for most practical uses.

#6 Jared Plumlee

Jared Plumlee

Varmint Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

i have several ol case pocket knives that work just fine for skinning small game...fox, cats, coons etc...but i prefer a larger single blade buck knife for larger game like bears and deer etc...ive got a buck belt knife that is ok..and ive got some fancy skinning knives that i never have used LOL i reckon i didnt really need em..

#7 jacobpaschall

jacobpaschall

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all things to do with accurate rifles. Use to competition benchrest shoot (NBRSA). Avid varmint hunter and handloader. Have all kinds of varmint guns, from facotry to fully custom.

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

I've had all kinds of knives. Boker, benchmade, buck, kershaw, you name it I've had it and LOST IT. My wife usually gets me a knife for each special occasion because she knows they're only good for 2 months max before I loose it. I asked for that cabelas pro line from buck with the gut hook for Christmas. Looks nice and I've never had one with a hook. Was curious to check it out, I'm sure someone will find it in the forest in a few months after I leave it laying somewhere.

#8 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

For hunting deer/pig/bear I carry both a folder and a belt knife in my pack along with a small sharpening stick. For everday use I carry a Buck pocket knife. At work I carry a folder with a serrated blade.

#9 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:32 PM

I use my Benchmade spring-loaded knife, and in case some of you don't know, it is legal since I'm military. I was issued it a couple years ago.

#10 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:33 PM

My everyday pocket knife is a cheapo Mossberg knife I got on sale at Big 5. It came with a multi-tool in a kit and it was like $13. Surprisingly it's lasted me a long time and has been a great knife. For gutting & skinning, I have a Wyoming knife, a serrated Gerber Gator, & a lockback Buck with about a 3" smooth blade. This year when my wife was helping me gut & skin the deer I said I wished I had a bone saw so she surprised me with a Gerber Ultimate Game Cleaning Kit which I have yet to use.http://www.gerbergea....php?model=2759

#11 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:33 PM

I always carry a pocket knife. Usually a Camillus Baby Muskrat. When hunting anything that needs to be skinned I carry my own make belt knife.Like this:Posted Image

#12 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

So what type of knives do you use the most? Brand names and type of knife, like a folding hunter or sheath knife.

Dang John, you beat Heath to this one. :signs1198ol: I carry the sheath knife that comes with the Leupold Century Limited Edition Gold Ring scope (3-9x40). In fact I now have three of the knives because I like the scope that much. Can't remember who the designer is, but the knife is nice.SteveH

#13 nmlhunter

nmlhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING, eating, HUNTING, sleeping, HUNTING..... What else is there?

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:32 PM

I can fully relate to lost knifes club. :1rock1oo: I lost my first hunting knife that was a gift. I went back this year, cause I was hunting there anyway.... man how can the woods change so fast? LOL It's a goner... then I lost a gerber saw from a combo with a knife/gut hook. Gerber was very kind in replacing that at no charge. I was very pleasantly surprised. I was ready to pay for it.

#14 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

The question was what knife do you use the most. Well it's my daily pocket knife, a Victoriaknox executive. For the field I prefer a fixed blade knife carried in a pack with a multi tool on my belt.

#15 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

I carry a LEATHERMEN WAVE,everyday, all the time ,at work ,at home , working on the ranch. It's all the knives & tools a guy needs. I have actually worn out a couple, sent them in and LEATHERMAN sends me a new one, no questions asked. Great knife/tool.,,300wsm

#16 SteveB

SteveB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

The knife I use the most is in my kitchen, a chef's knife (I enjoy cooking).The one I usually carry is a pocket knife recieved from the NRA for helping support one of their special projects.I like Anza fixed blade knives when hunting or camping. My Havalon knives are easy to sharpen, just replace the blade. Putting an edge on the others with my EdgePro is a breeze.

#17 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

I carried Kabar Hunter and a Gerber or Bucknive folder for back-up.https://www.kabar.co...unting/Sporting

#18 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:23 AM

Carry a Buck Executive in town. Out in the field a Camillus folder, the one with 17 HMR inlaid in the grip. :rofl2: If I think I there's a possibility of skinning something the Buck sheath knife goes on the belt. Have several Gerber lockblades and a Gerber two blade folder from back in the mid 70's. Have lost several good pocket knifes. Found a hunting knife over by Cal-Ida road, close to the Indian Valley Outpost. Describe it accurately, and you can have it back. :1rock1oo:

#19 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:24 AM

It's metal, shinny and got one sharp edge. Close enough? ;)

#20 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:32 AM

Sorry, but that's not even close. Well, it is mostly metal.

#21 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:35 AM

Darn, and I just knew that was going to be mine.

#22 nmlhunter

nmlhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING, eating, HUNTING, sleeping, HUNTING..... What else is there?

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

The question was what knife do you use the most. Well it's my daily pocket knife, a Victoriaknox executive. For the field I prefer a fixed blade knife carried in a pack with a multi tool on my belt.

Victorinox Exec... nice! ;) I use Gerber folding pocket, my 2 fixed blades are Giesser (butcher type blade) and Browning 670

#23 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:24 PM

I use a 3" Benchmade folder or my 3" Kershaw folder for everything. I've cleaned antelope, deer and elk. I just don't need a big knife anymore.

#24 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

I carry a springloaded benchmade folder like the gentelman in the earlier post i have carried it for 14 years for work and its had the blade replaced a few times due to dmg.I carry a small benchmade folder when not working in my pocket and i love it.I have carried a knife since i was four years old the only exception was in bootcamp.To me its an needed tool to have.

#25 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

for everyday carry I use one of those little money clip sized folding Gerbers that take disposable utility blades. I have two knives that I use for hunting. One is a Buck Woodsman fixed blade and the other is a folding Browning that has a blade with a gut hook and a bonesaw.

#26 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:05 AM

I dont wear a knife. It goes in my bag. I have a belt knife, mikasa? I pickd up a few years ago at the Cal Expo show. And the other two in the bag are my main "knives".. they are scaples, brand is havel. Cant beat them for sharpness and if a blade goes dull, no big deal grab another blade and throw the dull one out. And those are the only 3 I carry. For bone saw I have a cordless sawzall.. And wire cutters for small bone.

#27 BigJim

BigJim

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:13 PM

Kershaw folder been carring it for 22 years got it from my wife as a birthday present.

#28 High Desert 'Yote Sniper'

High Desert 'Yote Sniper'

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:48 PM

Reading the other posts, I see I'm not the only one that packs more then one knife, especially in the field. I have a bunch, but have settled on a Cold Steel SRK for most of my belt use. I carry a Cold Steel Gunsite Tanto folder clipped in my pocket on the street, and a very old Uncle Henry 5" folder for most general use. I use any one of three pocket knifes...a German army utility folder, a newer "imported" light weight Un. Henry and an older heavy duty Un. Henry.This are my most often used battery of knives.

#29 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

Buck.

#30 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:01 AM

Carry a Spiderco Endura. In the field I take a Buck skinner made with S30V. I also have an old Gerber Mark II that I picked up for a steal 12 years ago- $10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users