47 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:39 PM

Is their any 1911 lovers out there. I want to hear who owns them and what kind it is. Have any of you shot the xtps threw them they are the all cooper bullet.

#2 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

Got four of em, 2 colts, 1 springer and a colt built government issue, whaddaya want to know?

#3 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

I don't think there is a better handgun design period. Judging by all the different mfgs now making 1911's I would say its pretty popular.wikipedia has a nice read on the 1911
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#4 SSB

SSB

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:48 PM

I have one, Remington Rand. It was issued to my grandfather in the war.. I used to fire it alot, then someone told me how valuable it was....so i stopped using it :doh[1]: I love it, always likes the 1911 since my service days. Shooting 9mm are cheaper.Steve

#5 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:55 PM

Springfield Armory makes a really nice 1911 in 9mm. Might be might favorite of all time if it wasn't for Colt's Delta Elite 10mm.
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#6 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

Anything you may want to know about the 1911 can be found here or on their forum.

#7 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

I've been looking at the Kimber's Ultra Carry II in .45acp or better yet the Ultra CDP II. I like the design and reliability of the 1911'a but wanted something small enough to carry concealed. I think either Kimber will fit the bill perfectly.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:46 PM

Got four of em, 2 colts, 1 springer and a colt built government issue, whaddaya want to know?

I wanna know is why when I lock the slide with the safety I can still pull the trigger and the safety will disengage and the hammer will fall. I am not talking about the safety lever on the handle. My brother in law picked up his pro carry 2 kimber today his will not disengage but the hammer will decock that was what he told me over the phone.I still need to look at it and see. I just have a clone made by a not so popular company but so far it has shot everytime I pulled the trigger and i got 4 mags and dump them all sometimes as fast as I can lol.

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:04 AM

Sounds broke to me. But, I only have one 1911 and have only had it for 35 years. Mine is a Colt and doesn't do any of the things you describe, except shoot. When the slide lock is engaged, the disconnector should prevent pulling the trigger from dropping the hammer. When the slide lock is engaged, pulling the trigger should not drop the slide. The Colt 1911 does not have a decock function, as it was designed to be carried 'cocked and locked'. Sorry to intrude.JMHO

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#10 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:59 AM

What he said.

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:30 AM

I've been looking at the Kimber's Ultra Carry II in .45acp or better yet the Ultra CDP II. I like the design and reliability of the 1911'a but wanted something small enough to carry concealed. I think either Kimber will fit the bill perfectly.

I don't know if it's the same one capitol was talking about, but Wes...check out the Springfield EMP. It's a 9mm, but instead of being a cut full-size frame, it's a whole new compact frame built specifically for the gun. I will own one one day.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 jacobpaschall

jacobpaschall

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all things to do with accurate rifles. Use to competition benchrest shoot (NBRSA). Avid varmint hunter and handloader. Have all kinds of varmint guns, from facotry to fully custom.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:47 AM

I never got very involved in handguns, I have a desert eagle 44 mag and a beretta 9mm, mostly for home protection. I do have a friend that has a Kimber Raptor I believe, and my brother has a springfield. I've shot both and I like the Kimber. From what I experienced the Kimber is more accurate and felt better in my opinion. Again, I'm no expert on handguns, but that is my experience with different 1911's.

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

Ok I figured it out I took it apart one time and I must have not put it back together right I went past the normal strip down when I did it. A17 your not intruding its a forum . I know they are single action I was just wondering what was wrong with mine.

#14 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:32 AM

First guess is that the disconnecter may not be installed correctly. Part #5 on the parts diagram. Hint - Click on the parts diagram and it enlarges.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#15 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:59 PM

I have one, a Springfield compact GI and I love it.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,021 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:34 AM

I have a whole bunch from Gold Cups to handmade I like them all. When it goes bang something falls over.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#17 ReconDoc242

ReconDoc242

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Medicine, Fishing, Hunting, Skydiving, Spearfishing, Schutzhund, and MMA.

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

I have a wilson CQB full size and absolutely love it!
Quien se atrebe, gana!

#18 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:21 PM

I love those Kimbers!

#19 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:39 PM

I have owned a lot of them and worked on a lot in the military as an armorer.The new 9mm springfield is the EMP looks cool got good writeups.My friend is a gunsmith told me to stay away from the kimbers said he doesnt like the way there metal is hardened or something said to go with colt or springfield.

#20 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:41 PM

My friend is a gunsmith told me to stay away from the kimbers said he doesnt like the way there metal is hardened or something said to go with colt or springfield.

Big DITTO there for sure.

#21 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:51 PM

Big DITTO there for sure.

So what is the story with that?

#22 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:09 AM

My smith told me of several recent machining problems from the manufacturer, guns had to be sent back to Kimber. Says Colt and Springfield is the way to go. I do have two buddys that shoot Kimbers and have had no problems though.

#23 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

In a few more days, I will take position of my friends blued MK4 Competition Gold Cup. :signs1180lq: :roflmao3[1]: :signs1180lq: :drool: :drool: :drool:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#24 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

Do you shoot National Match and if so where?

#25 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:54 PM

My friend is a gunsmith told me to stay away from the kimbers said he doesnt like the way there metal is hardened or something said to go with colt or springfield.

Hmmm... First I've heard of this. Wonder if it applies to the stainless steel models as well? I like the Springfield XD's too, but they're not a 1911 design. Even thought about jumping on the S&W offer (buy their M&P15 rifle & get the Sigma pistol for $99) but I think I'd rather have an AR built by Rock River Arms.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#26 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,770 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

I've got one of the 9mm Sigma's on my carry permit. Nice little gun. Since I can have three on the permit, I also have a Ruger Speed Six, in 357 and a S&W 642 with the Crimson Trace lazer grips.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#27 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:48 AM

Do you shoot National Match and if so where?

I wish! These are the limited production run by Colt. Comes tuned from custom shop ready for prime time. My buddy fired less than 20 rounds on these gun... almost brand new. He is retiring and can't take the gun out of the country.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#28 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:01 AM

I've got one of the 9mm Sigma's on my carry permit. Nice little gun. Since I can have three on the permit, I also have a Ruger Speed Six, in 357 and a S&W 642 with the Crimson Trace lazer grips.

I have a Sigma in .40 S&W, great pistol my daughter normally carries while hunting.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#29 y0da

y0da

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:38 PM

I own the Sigma in .40 cal as well. I love it, light, easy to handle... I usually carry mine in my truck 24/7. God Bless Nevada. I just need the sticker that says Protected by S&W

#30 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:26 PM

I have a Sigma also... I Hate it...The trigger pull is like 10 pounds...Thats why Im getting a 1911 today...

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users