#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

Came across an Classified add for two safari Grade Rem 700s in 375 H&H Mag and the other one in 416 Remington Magnum. He wants $700.00 a piece. But he said cash talks. These rifles were purchased in 1990 the 416 has had 10 rnds thru it the 375 has had 20. He has stored them since(I guess 16 years) I told him I want the 375. Is $700 bucks a good price. This guy is retired he said he might take $1,350.00 for both of them.Sounds like he's hard up for cash.What would be a good offer :blink:

#2 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:13 AM

Larry That's a good price.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:07 AM

Larry, do you really want or need them first of all? I've got a couple of Winchester pre 64 Model 70 African guns. They were given to me by my uncle who traveled the world extensively hunting big game. My favorite is the 375 H&H, but I've never found a game to use it on. Just a thought but those are big guns for varmint hunting. :blink:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

Those are cannon's Larry, not to mention I bet they deal punishment on both ends.

They're not a comfortable round to shoot. But you never know when Larry might come up against a mean ground squirrel! ;) The interesting thing about a .375 H&H is the trajectory is identical to a .30-06 but double the bullet weight. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:07 PM

I'd want a brake and good recoil pad on one before I'd want to shoot one! Would be a great moose and grizzly gun!

#6 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

Larry, do you really want or need them first of all? I've got a couple of Winchester pre 64 Model 70 African guns. They were given to me by my uncle who traveled the world extensively hunting big game. My favorite is the 375 H&H, but I've never found a game to use it on. Just a thought but those are big guns for varmint hunting. :lol:

Shooter John you have a very good question,I had a Interarms Mark X in 375 mag 20 years ago.(Dang Time passes fast) It was very accurate and it kicked so hard it was funny.I absoulutly don't need it.My gun safe is full now.But! But its a good deal,so what I don't need it. Dang I'd half to mount a scope,buy dies,put a mussel brake on it .For what? What I'd have ligitmate use for would be a .204 Rugar.I'd like to get a gun that goes bang with next to no recoil..... Back to the Safari. I think this guy is hard up for cash.Would it be cruel to offer $550.00. He told me cash talks.I mean I could put a scope on it next year. I could remove a shelf in Gun safe..... Hows that for e-mailing my thouights? He says the 416 has the coolest piece of wood he's seen on a Remington.

I knew a guy that used a 375 H&H on our local deer...Those are cannon's Larry, not to mention I bet they deal punishment on both ends.

Hey how's your 204 doing? Have you shot it yet? Zero recoil?

#7 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

Larry Did you buy? If you didn't let me know cause I may be interested. Planning on going to Africa shortly. Dale

#8 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:30 AM

Larry Did you buy? If you didn't let me know cause I may be interested. Planning on going to Africa shortly. Dale

Hey I'll find the paper I wrote it on. Its some where aropund here. I would really like one of those,but there are 10,000 ligimite things I really need. Dang I wish I was rich.Looks like a really good deal.

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:43 PM

Ironworker made me do it. Bought both those Bad Boyz today. I think that .416 Rem. Mag could launch a fragmentation device that possibly could be the new wave in weapons of mass varmint destruction and it would be easier for the buzzards to find me due to the noise. I admit it, probably not the smartest thing I ever done but I'm now ready for an African Safari, however my shoulder may not want to go. Dale

#10 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:02 PM

Ironworker made me do it. Bought both those Bad Boyz today. I think that .416 Rem. Mag could launch a fragmentation device that possibly could be the new wave in weapons of mass varmint destruction and it would be easier for the buzzards to find me due to the noise. I admit it, probably not the smartest thing I ever done but I'm now ready for an African Safari, however my shoulder may not want to go. Dale

EZ recoil pad and a muzzel brake will do wonders.

#11 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

Hey Dale,Are you ready to try that peashooter out on squirrels? :)

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hey Dale, you and I could have a Winchester (mine) vs. Remington (yours) 375 H&H Magnum squirrel shoot off. The problem is we'd probably just get one shot off and there wouldn't be anymore squirrels out all day. :)

Time waits for no one--

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:09 PM

Dale,Awsome! sounds like you're set! Going to smack a squirrel with one? I'd like to watch that!

#14 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:54 PM

Hey about shooting squirrels with a 375 H&H, I had a 375 once and shot some small game with it. Believe it or not it does nothing spictacular cause really the bullet isn't really moving that fast compared to our varminter. Plus its a dangerous round for varmints cause no bullet expoloed upon hitting any thing even a rock.So you have a 300gr bullet bounceing all around.reMember Cedarville nothing bigger than?Yeah I shot a STARLING with a 375 all it did was put a hole thru him!No "Blow ups"

#15 gunnut

gunnut

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

Hey Dale great deal.When you get em bring em over and we'll play.You buy lunch this time.

#16 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

Have you had them out to shoot yet?

#17 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

Heath No I just got the .375 H&H scoped and going to pick it up today. I also need to borrow 100 lbs. of lead for my lead sled to sight in and find out how that bad boy kicks. I've got a aim point laser sighter but no 375 attachment which I need to order. Lot's of excuses. It's a little intimidating as you can well imagine.

#18 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

Yea, I'd like to watch you shoot it with out the Lead Sled! Have rounds for that monster yet?

#19 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

Heath No I just got the .375 H&H scoped and going to pick it up today. I also need to borrow 100 lbs. of lead for my lead sled to sight in and find out how that bad boy kicks. I've got a aim point laser sighter but no 375 attachment which I need to order. Lot's of excuses. It's a little intimidating as you can well imagine.

Hey Bro Whats this about 100lbs of lead? Hey you need to get a muzzel brake installed. They will reduce recoil better than 50%. Plus a EZ recoild pad. A 375 isn't that bad.With Muzzel brake (Vias) is top notch on that 416 you'll be just fine but with out you'll be cussing me out.

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

I have a Winchester Pre 64 Model 70 in 375 H&H Magnum. It's not that bad to shoot and has a trajectory almost identical to a 30-06. Except that it's throwing 300 grain bullets. :) Dale, just pull the bolt and look down the barrel and scope. No need for fancy laser thingy. :)

Time waits for no one--

#21 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

John have you actually used it for anything?

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

Yes! I actually got it from my uncle as a present from his safari collection of guns. I shot a good sized black bear with it and two fairly large hogs. The animals dropped instantly. But I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer or elk with it either. It's just a nice shooting gun, but mine is open sights so you can't get carried away.

Time waits for no one--

#23 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:33 PM

The animals dropped instantly.

I bet they did!

#24 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:17 AM

They actually don't recommend putting muzzle brakes on african guns due to the noise. I've heard that it is considered rude to have one on a rifle in Africa due to the PH's and trackers ear damage.

#25 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:36 AM

How many Africa hunts do you think you will do?

#26 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:20 AM

I don't have any idea Heath. I'm still working on #1. I've been told that one's not enough. I plan on taking my wife and 4 guns. The 375, 300 wby, a Varmint gun (caliber undecided) and a shotgun. The first trip will be plains game 6-10 animals and whatever varmints/predators are available, plus they say the wingshooting is awesome too. Plan on seeing the sights and playing tourist too. Spend 3-4 weeks and then figure out if trip #2 is in my future. If my wife doesn't wnat to go I can only take two guns which could put a crimp in my plans. dale

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:47 AM

Dale, I was just reading an article on the Internet about hunting Africa. For the medium plains type of game they recommended a 30-06. I'll try to find it and send it to you. Oh, and I'll make sure it get to you instead of my cousin like the last one I set to you. She says, "why in the hell are you sending me gun articles?" Oops! ;)

Time waits for no one--

#28 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:01 AM

She says, "why in the hell are you sending me gun articles?" Oops! ;)

Tell her so she knows what to get you for Christmas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users