• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jacobpaschall

jacobpaschall

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all things to do with accurate rifles. Use to competition benchrest shoot (NBRSA). Avid varmint hunter and handloader. Have all kinds of varmint guns, from facotry to fully custom.

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:57 AM

I'm getting ready to order a new howler. I have two different howls on my foxpro, but I like to use hand calls too. I really like all the critter call stuff so I was thinking about getting the critter call song dog. What does everyone think. Which howlers work the best.

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

For me its the Randy Anderson Hot Dog with a cutom wood bell... I think its personal preference, and which call you can work better. Posted Image

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:42 AM

I'm in the middle of gathering a few different ones and seeing which sound best/I can make sound good. One of them is a beautiful one from Braz.

#4 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:48 AM

Braz definetly makes some awesome calls! I have several and I really like them alot :lol:

#5 jacobpaschall

jacobpaschall

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all things to do with accurate rifles. Use to competition benchrest shoot (NBRSA). Avid varmint hunter and handloader. Have all kinds of varmint guns, from facotry to fully custom.

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:58 AM

I'll have to send Braz a message and see what he can do for me. I think the ciritter call song dog might be in the stocking Christmas morning, but you can never have too many calls. I have seen some of Braz's calls, they look nice.

#6 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

Go to AllPredatorCalls.com and see what AP has for sale. They all work but some do sound better than others. If you get one you don't care for the sound on. Just take some sandpaper and CAREFULLY change the toneboard profile a LITTLE at a time . Another thing you can do is experiment with differant plastics you use for a reed. Try some plastic from a blister pack or find some mylar, the possibilities are endless. I have made some very good sounding howlers using an old duck call toneboard and blisterpack plastic. But if you want to buy one check out AP and you can spend as much as you want on one. I use a Cronk howler mostly but have just a few more I also use. Just whatever I feel like using during the day...Walt

#7 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:43 AM

Hey Braz, post a pic of the one you just finished for me, it's gorgeous. I can't link them because my hosting site is inaccessbile at work.

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

Sure. Here is the Howler I just finished up for Jeff. He picked out the color he wanted, so I can't be blamed for that. :lol: Seriously, I think it is beautiful. This Dymondwood has some wonderful colors and the sounds are great. I still have the call, as I just finished it yesterday. The color on this is called Embers. He chose it from these colors. http://rrpwhite.com/color%20chart.htmAttached File  Embers_howler_1.jpg   70.47KB   74 downloadsAttached File  Embers_howler_2.jpg   70.73KB   75 downloadsAttached File  Embers_howler_4.jpg   47.58KB   70 downloads

#9 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:16 PM

Yep, I took a chance on the color, that's for sure. I do like it though.

#10 goldenarrow

goldenarrow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

I like my Mac Daddy Howler I can even use it as a elk call.

#11 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, surfing,fishing,sports,target shooting,reloading,camping

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

I personally use the Dan Thompson Red Desert and Sweet water Howlers with equally the same success. I use them together to sound like two different coyotes and it seems to work great. I have howled with coyotes 50yards away and it doesnt even seem to bother them so it must sound pretty real.Attached File  001a.JPG   122.41KB   79 downloads

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

On predator masters their is a post on how to make your own tone board out of a antler. I tried to make one and it's not as easy as it looks LOL .All I can make is a small squeak so I took a duck call and stuck in the antler and it's decent. It's fun messing with it I called in a owl the other day :roflmao3[1]:

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

I have a "song dog" and it sucks. I have a knight and hale closed reed howler and it has a great sound for barks and long howls but I can't yip it worth a damn. I also have one of Braz' open reed howlers and it has a good howl and is really easy to yip with.

#14 jacobpaschall

jacobpaschall

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:36 AM

Well, I'm gonna try to get one of Braz's calls and probably the song dog even though it's not clampdaddy's favorite. :( I like the looks of that red desert howler too. I'll just have to try some different ones out and see which one I can get to sound the best. Thanks for all the input. :(

#15 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

I love the Braz, and Dan thompson. I also have a cronk horn howler- Very big power and great sound..

#16 Youngster18

Youngster18

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:live in kern county and i cant get enough of predator hunting.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:19 PM

mini mag, primos regulator 14. ( i lost) and i just got a howler from braz and i love the sound. cant waite to try it out. but the regulator 14 is a killer where i hunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users