• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, and coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, (I don't have the calling thing down yet).

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:58 PM

Is the recoil similiar in these two calibers? My son will be able to hunt deer next year and I am mulling over these two calibers. Thanks.

#2 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:32 PM

7-08 will kick a bit more due to heavier bullet. How old is your son? 243 will be good for beginners since it doesn't kick as much. Either of the two will be good for deersize games or for a dual purpose rifle. Goodluck! DF
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:11 AM

243 is more suitable for a light varmint / casual target kind of shooting. That's where most people spend their ammo.JMHO

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:34 AM

I went with a 7-08 for my daughters when they started hunting deer and pigs. I started them out using "Youth Loads" that you can get from Hodgdon's website. Used a 120 grain Hornady Spirepoint bullet. Is very accurate in my Remington Model 7. Now that they are older I load it with either a 139, or 154 grain Hornady bullet. The reason I went with the 7-08 is due to its versatility which allowed me to stick with one rifle and just move up in bullet weight as the girls got older. You are only able to go up to about 100 grain bullets for the 243.Just my 1/2 cents worth.So with all that being said.......I bought the 243 for myself :signlol2iu:

#5 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:07 AM

I have the 243 and the 308, with 100 grain bullets the recoil of the 243 is noticeably less than the recoil with 150 grain 308 load. I would estimate that it is between 1/2 and 2/3s of the felt recoil and is directlye related to bullet weight.I've used the 243 for antelope and deer with 85 grain Nosler Partitions and 100 grain Hornady bullets and they have worked perfectly. But I think that the ideal combination caliber is the 260 Remington (308 necked down to .264/6.5mm caliber), shooting 80 grain bullets all the way up to 140 grainers. (The 160 grain round nose are too long for the 260's case capacity)
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

I do know all those cals you guys mentioned use the same case. I know A guy that loves shooting hogs with his 7mm08 I don't know the different from that to a 308 other than caliber.

#7 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:13 PM

I have the 7mm08 and the 308. Dang same round almost. both are dead accurate . But the 308 got more types of bullets. But that Savage 116 7mm is a really fun gun to shoot. Rounds cost more for it than the 308. What about the 25-06. not bad recoil. I use it on deer and coyotes, same load 100 grn soft pt does not tear up the dogs and kills CA. deer dead. the 25 shoots really flat. I have taken Jacks out over 400 yards with it .
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#8 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

Having the same debate for my daughter's first rifle. Will 7mm-08 load up big enough for something like an elk? I have only seen 110 grain bullets in a factory load. My daughter would use the Savage in a youth model (she is only 5' 2") and this would be for everything from yotes to big game.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#9 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, and coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, (I don't have the calling thing down yet).

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for all the answers. My son is a skinny 11 year old, so I think I will wait for his birthday in August before making a decision, (and to see if he puts on a couple of more pounds, lol). Thanks again.

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,792 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

What you should do is find a shooting club somewhere near where you live. Go talk to them, and I'm sure you will find a youth group there, or at least some guys that have several rifles of different calibers that they will let him try. That way you can find the optimum rifle for him that he likes without guessing.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#11 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:09 PM

That sounds like the best option Braz, thanks.

#12 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:23 PM

Here are some numbers for recoil with three different calibers. The rifle is held constant at 7.5 lbs. The velocity is reduced slightly from the max shown in the Speer manual.1. 243 with 100 gr bullet at 2700 fps, 41 gr powder charge.Recoil Velocity - 8.3 fpsRecoil Energy - 8.0 ft-lbs2. 7-08 with 120 gr bullet at 3000 fps, 51 gr powder charge.Recoil Velocity - 10.7 fpsRecoil Energy - 13.5 ft-lbs3. 30-06 with 165 gr bullet at 2700 fps, 56 gr powder charge.Recoil Velocity - 12.8 fpsRecoil Energy - 19.0 ft-lbsThere it is for what it's worth.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users