3 replies to this topic

#1 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:56 AM

I picked up one recently, and am still debating on which choke to start with. This original choke is meant for #4 for turkey at 30 yds. I will be shooting either 00 or #4 buck. Can anyone recommend a choke or pattern. Yes, I know I need to pattern the gun, once I get the different chokes and loads. Just need a starting point. Would Primos be good, or the one from Hunter Specialties that I saw at BPS? Just need some advice, etc.
John in Tulare, Ca

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:24 AM

I'd have to pattern the gun to tell you which choke to use. But one thing I'd stay away from is the 00 buck. You'll be disappointed in it's performance. I'd go with the #4 buck or some of the newer Dead Coyote rounds.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:14 AM

I'd have to pattern the gun to tell you which choke to use. But one thing I'd stay away from is the 00 buck. You'll be disappointed in it's performance. I'd go with the #4 buck or some of the newer Dead Coyote rounds.

Thanks John.... yes, I was even questioning 00 myself, being only 15 pellets vs 41 with #4buck. Reading some good info over on PM from GC who has done some extensive patterning of different loads and chokes, and he's starting to like the Rem Wingshot HD BB loads. But like you said, I'll have to get some other chokes to try and different shot and pattern. Cant afford that Hevi-Shot loads at $3 a shot.Happen to run across this website which gave me some good basic info that I was looking for in shot sizes.http://www.hunter-ed...hotgun_ammo.htmWonder what size #12 you use on, Hummingbirds?? geez that is small.
John in Tulare, Ca

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:42 PM

I have a few boxes of #12 shot. It's old Remington stuff that was handed out when I went on a starling shoot. A few ranchers got together and gave several of us free shells to shoot starlings that were roosting in trees on their properties. When I saw the shot size I had to read it twice. It killed those birds alright but they had everything from 4's to the 12's that they must have bought wholesale from somewhere. That was a fun two days of shooting I think I shot at least 500 rounds. We were getting three and four birds per shot in the flocks.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users