• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:40 PM

Someone was recently asking about this caller, and Walmart had the Predator-1 on clearance for $25 so I grabbed one to test it. It is made by Hunter's Specialties, comes with the caller itself, a remote with 5 preprogrammed sounds (baby bird, cottontail, puppy cries, rodent, & woodpecker), a lanyard for the remote, and it even includes the batteries. The remote has a belt clip in addition to the lanyard. The caller has a large clip so you can hang it on something, a pivoting speaker so you can set it up in multiple positions, and also has a small ring on the side of it so the remote can be clipped to the caller for storage. First impression is that this caller is a great bang-for-your-buck! The whole unit is compact and lightweight, the remote is easy to use, and the volume is more than loud enough to call in the critters. There is little to no lag time between the remote and the caller like some other brands. The remote allows you to mute the call, but the volume level is located on the caller instead of the remote (my only complaint). The sound quality is far better than I expected. I have yet to see how long the batteries will last or how far the remote will really reach out (the package indicates 50 yards), but I think it would make a great first e-caller for someone who's on a budget. For now I'm giving this caller 2 thumbs up. :glare: :glare: Hopefully I'll get a chance to test it in the field in about a month or so and I'll be able to give a little more info on it.

Attached Files

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

Interesting little unit. Looking forward to your future test.

#3 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:34 AM

I have the Predator 2 model, which has the coyote howls, jackrabbit, etc. I havent yet tried it out in the field, but did test the range of the remote, and I got it to 75 yards, plus I could hear the calls at that distance pretty good too. I paid the MSRP at BP, but still at $40 it is a nice compact unit.Funny what you can find at various WalMarts !! Seems each one carries different stuff. Like the one here, they carry NaturalGear camo, but in the next town, it is a woodland camo, not NG. Guess whatever they can get at their cheap cost.

#4 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

That was my first ecaller...I paid 40 for mine too. I liked it, worked good enough, but the range on mine was around 50 yards Which is sufficient I suppose. It is excellent as a night caller though. I gave it to my son when I got the foxpro, but since he hunts with me it hasnt been used since then. For a starter call Id say its a good one, but the sound level control being ON the caller is annoying. I didnt like that part.

#5 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:16 AM

I got one too but have not had much luck with it yet.

#6 Hutch

Hutch

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

I have to agree with aforementioned comments. Beretta & I use this inconjunction with hand callers, for the money, a great little caller. It has called far more critters than we've killed. Don't except it to be more than it is and you'll be a happy hunter. BTW like the #2 better than the #1.

#7 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

Holy draggin'-up-an-old-post, Batman!!! :lol:

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

That's a good thing he did.I like the fact that a cheap electric call is available I have been looking at the predator 2.

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Wes sent me the call he bought and I did manage to call in a yote with it. My uncle and I were at the duck club picking up our decoys on saturday and I pulled the call out just to show him. I set it on the hood of my truck at started it up. I let it run for one loop cycle then I threw it back in the truck. No sooner than I slam the door my uncle spots a nice male trotting in from about 600 yards. He hung up at 450 and I took a poke at him with my .17 rem but I over estimated the wind drift and missed. :doh[1]:

#10 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:18 AM

Glad to hear you've already had some luck with it. Can't wait to see the results when you're actually hunting for 'yotes instead of hanging out in the duck club parking lot! :roflmao3[1]: ;) :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:12 AM

:( I bet those duck clubs are just over run with coyotes now. They must be hungry no more winged ducks to eat...........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users