• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 natural

natural

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting of course !!!

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:37 PM

Ok I know this post has been up before, but now that x-mas, my birthday and bills are caught up it's time to buy! I'm still stuck on which caliber, .223 or 22-250? Also looking at the Savage and Remington. Want a new rifle, at a fair price. Looking for knock down power and alittle reach. Wont be reloading, only factory ammo will be used. Last but not least were to buy?Your opinions and setups would be great! Thanks- Andy
Andy

#2 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

If you have the Money Go Remington 700If your budget is smaller go Savage 12, Both are Very accurate andbuilt well. The Rem is rounded out better.As far as caliber my vote goes for .223, Factory ammo is alot cheaper which means you can shoot more. And the .223 will reach out plenty far.Where to buy, shop around, prices very from shop to shop.So far Stephen at Three Seasons has given good quote's.
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#3 gunnut

gunnut

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

Until you said no reloading I was thinking 22-250.With factory ammo,no brainer 223.Buy a savage or remington or look at a cz maybe.Put the best glass you can swing and go kill things Way more choice in factory ammo for a 223.And it's cheaper to shoot,easier to get familiar with a new toy.Good luck and have fun.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,686 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:23 AM

I have to say .223. The ammo is so much cheaper and the selection is wider for bullet types. Then if you decide to reload later it gets even better. Remington or Savage, but your best bang for the buck is Savage. It comes with the best adjustable trigger made, the Accutrigger. They are also the most accurate out of the box. Savage has models that come scoped already for a discount price. Look for a sporter model that isn't too heavy barreled. After all you'll want to carry it around and though big barrels look cool they're heavy. Plus normal shooting at animals doesn't take a bull barrel. If all you want to do is sit and shoot squirrels in Cedarville then buy a heavy barrel. Good luck. :P

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 natural

natural

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting of course !!!

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

Andy,Do your self a favor and look into the 204. It'll be more expensive to shoot but it'll do what you requested and factory ammo costs will come down.You can get an idea of the market prices at gunbroker.com, once you have an idea of what you want.I like Remington but Savage is good choice too.Steve

Hey Steve, Thanks for your opinion on the gunbroker.com, I went there this morning and they have a big seletion at good prices. I'm looking into the .204, and the .223. If any one knows were I can get info on the balistics of the calibers let me know. Thanks again for all of ur insite.....Andy
Andy

#6 canis disrupter

canis disrupter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

Remington's website has a cool interactive ballistics page, you can compare 3 rounds a the same time.Eric.

#7 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

Im thinking about selling my Rem 700 223 LV SF if your interested. Here is the link to Remington.Rem 700 LVSF
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#8 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

Mark-If Andy's not I may be. I need a 100 yard gun.Let me know.Steve

Yea its a sweet rifle. I just have to move some cash around for other interests. ALL firearm related of course
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users