• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:59 PM

OneryOlMofo357 contacted me several weeks ago about making him a 4 call set. He wanted a complete set, a Cottontail call, a Jackrabbit call, an open reed distress call and a howler. He also wanted the calls to be a matching set. He, at first, wanted the set to made from Colorwood, using a color of one that I have posted in the past. When we found out that the wood was not available, as it was a special order color, he decided to go with Dymondwood. I gave him a color chart and he selected a Dymondwood color called Raspberry Twist. With that I placed the order for the wood and waited. Well, on Nov 7 the wood finally comes in. That's when my work began. I cut pieces, drilled them, turned them, sanded them, and buffed them. They came out looking great. All four calls, from the same stick of wood, all the same color, just slightly different shapes. Let me explain the shapes. For the howler, it is the largest, naturally, giving it the ability to reach out. Then there is the open reed distress. A bit smaller and a different shape. The reason is, at night he can tell the difference between the two just by feel. Then there are the two closed reed calls, one for a Cottontail and one for a Jack. Again different shapes, again for the same reason. To tell the difference without looking. But which is which? Naturally, the fatter, or larger of the two would be for the Jack, while the smaller, more diminutive shape is for the Cottontail. I think the set really came out looking great and he is very pleased. It will be shipped out tomorrow.Oh yea, what about that lanyard? He wanted a lanyard to tie the calls all together. So he can just grab it and head out the door. Well, I had a great lanyard on hand. I didn't make it, it was made by Jeff Maidens, who frequents the PM boards. But it is a good one, for sure. Well enough yapping, here are some pictures of the calls. Attached File  Raspberry_Twist_1.jpg   65.75KB   69 downloadsAttached File  Raspberry_Twist_2.jpg   66.18KB   69 downloadsAttached File  Raspberry_Twist_3.jpg   65.45KB   70 downloadsAttached File  Raspberry_Twist_4.jpg   69.22KB   67 downloadsAttached File  Raspberry_Twist_set.jpg   83.72KB   63 downloadsAttached File  Raspberry_Twist_on_Lanyard_2.jpg   99.74KB   68 downloads

#2 Buckaroobarnone

Buckaroobarnone

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

WOW! really nice Braz! Do you get those lanyards on a regular basis?

#3 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:10 PM

As a matter of fact, I am working with the guy right now to get some more. If so, I'll post them.

#4 Buckaroobarnone

Buckaroobarnone

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:19 PM

Excellent, let me know!

#5 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:19 PM

wow those look great...I Like the way there set up...

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,103 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:53 PM

Braz, they really look sharp ! Cant wait to hang em around my neck and blow a song for an unsuspecting Coyote ! Great job on the color match too ! Thanks alot !........Grant........... :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:29 PM

They look good! Now will he remember which is which in the heat of the moment? :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#8 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

Very nice.

#9 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

Garlic....... well, you asked LOL Those calls are just beautiful color. Sure make my old plastic/rubber ones look like "trailer trash" !! Those lanyards are very nice also. I am going to need a new one soon.... so will keep you in mind.

#10 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:36 PM

Beautiful, as usual! I think the dymondwood is an excellent choice. The calls that Braz made for me out of dymondwood are not only gorgeous but they are proving to be durable as well (along with the red palm). :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#11 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

once again braz ,those calls are awesome.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also your call is loaded on my minaska and sounds GREAT!!!

#12 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

Wow, those look great. Luckyorneryolmofo...

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:34 PM

are they pink they look pink to me. I like manly colors myself like dark colors LOL. they are nicely carved out.

#14 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:05 PM

Very very nice!

#15 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,103 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:29 PM

Got the new Calls Braz ! Man ! They look great ! Cant wait to try em out... The color is spectacular and they sound Great too ! Thanks soo much for your personalised service, and prompt shipping. I Have to work 3 more days before I can use em, But I will be Practicing ! Thanks again Braz for an Outstanding set !

#16 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

Glad you like them and it was fun making them. I love making custom calls. More fun then just turning, because I know someone else has some input into what I am turning and I know they are going to enjoyed.

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

Everyone has already commented on the calls, I like that lanyard!

#18 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:10 PM

Just like that lanyard you ordered and haven't received yet. Have you heard anything yet?

#19 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:13 PM

No, not a word. I am tired of bothering him so if it doesn't show I am just going to let it go. Maybe one day I will get two surprise packages! I think John's Post Master has a relative in the USPS down here in my neck of the woods.

#20 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

That's too bad, My came thought just fine and I understand he had some problems with others too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users