22 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:50 AM

I think I'm going to be building up an AR-15 before it's too late. I was thinking .223 and eventually (If I'm able) a .308. I would use it for small game/predators, shooting paper and HD. The .308, for larger game if I ever got around to building one.I will likely be buying a built lower on my first time around, but the second time around I may piece together my own. Budget would be hopefully no more than $1000.So anyway - anybody who has experience building one, please tell me all you've learned. I haven't started researching yet and wanted to use you guys as a trustable first source.Thanks everyone.

#2 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:14 AM

Cant have a detachable mag with pistol grip or flash hider..If you have a locked mag or as the lay says, You either need a tool to get the mag out, or break open the gun to reload it.if you put one of those Monster man or ub-40 stocks (which are soo ugly) then you can drop mags...Barrel can not be shorter than 16"But if you get the bullet button or something along the lines of that..(which has not been approved)you need a tool to remove the mag...

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

Probably the easist way to find out is to go here http://64.151.69.37/...forum/index.php. This site seems to be dedicated to that sort of thing.

#4 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

I forgot about that place... They have all the bases covered..

#5 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:40 AM

First do your research on what you can legally build, visit CalGuns and then read the forum for lower brands, sources and comments.Most everything is going to be mil-spec and work just fine, find a mfgr you like, RRA, M & A, Lauer, etc. that sells what you want and assemble. Are you building an A2 or M4 upper config? If you're just attaching completed uppers and lowers you won't need much in the way of tools, small punches, A2 sight tool and stock wrench is about it. Once you get into building from scratch you enter a whole 'nuther area and you begin amassing more tools that you can shake a stick at; barrel wrenches, hand guard tool, free float hand guard wrench, go / no go gauges, etc.If you want something to take in to the field a 16" upper would work great, my varmint upper weighs probably as much as my complete heavy barreled Rem700. Great for bench shooting squirrels but awfully hard to swing on a fast moving dog.

#6 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

I am not the biggest fan of the ar but I built one . As far as California was concerned I went with the easiest , not being able to modify rec which was the Fab 10 . It has the solid bottom mag well . The only problem I had with it was that they cut the follower so they could get 10 rds in it . Which made it unstable and the ammo always tilted , missing the bolt . I just replaced the follower with a anti tilt one . It cut my capacity to 4 but it work flawlessly . As far as the rest of the gun I bought and assembled everything myself . If you do bulid the upper make sure you get a barrel that has a standard gas block dia . Mine was . 850 " and it was not easy nor cheap to buy the gasblock ( 85.00 ) total minus the scope was about 700.00 and it's in 6x45 and it shoots better than I can .

Attached Files

#7 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:52 PM

Mine is a FAB also, it shoots great.. .4 at 100 1.5" at 300..

#8 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:03 PM

Ok I have been considering an AR as well, I have a Mini 14 that I can spend $800 to get to shoot accurately, but the AR is intrigueing. I see buying a stock without a Handle.. "handles are evil" and or getting a Mag release that requires a tool makes it leagal ? Its hard to understand Nazifornia rules. I too wonder what the best way to go is..

#9 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:36 PM

Hey Grant, there's no need to spend $800 to acurized a Mini unless you're gonna ship it off to ASI or similar co.For $50 you can cut your groups in half or better. All of this can be found over at Perfect Union there's a lot of tuners over there in their Mini 14 forum. The quick answer is to:glass bed the actionchange out the gas port with smaller oneadd a muzzle brakeclean up the triggerconsistanly and evenly torque the gas blockOn the AR... as long as the mag is pinned (Prince50 kit) and you use a watson extended takedown pin you can pretty much build one up any way you want. Personally I think the Monsterman grip is ugly, but I understand why people use it.

#10 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

I am not the biggest fan of the ar but I built one . As far as California was concerned I went with the easiest , not being able to modify rec which was the Fab 10 . It has the solid bottom mag well . The only problem I had with it was that they cut the follower so they could get 10 rds in it . Which made it unstable and the ammo always tilted , missing the bolt . I just replaced the follower with a anti tilt one . It cut my capacity to 4 but it work flawlessly . As far as the rest of the gun I bought and assembled everything myself . If you do bulid the upper make sure you get a barrel that has a standard gas block dia . Mine was . 850 " and it was not easy nor cheap to buy the gasblock ( 85.00 ) total minus the scope was about 700.00 and it's in 6x45 and it shoots better than I can .

What kind of scope is that?

#11 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

Heywood , Ive spent alot of time at Perfect Union, But just want to see what I want to spend. ASI ? $800 for a rebuild, Or $299 for the stabilizer, its hard to tell which way to go. Or else I can buy two more Bolt guns for the same price, that will outshoot both. I Hope Shooter John chimes in here, I think I read a reply from him that he had an accurised Mini from ASI too. Anyway, Im still considering.. Thanks for the Tips guys !

#12 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

Is somebody on there pimping a stabilizer for $300? :smiley_kewlpics: Is that the "accu-strut"?

#13 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:30 AM

No, Its not the xccu strut, I think thats only about 65 -70 $ The Stabilizer Im talking about is Made by ASI, it slips over the barrel of the Mini, and gets threaded on.. Looks pretty good.

#14 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:19 PM

question are Ar30's legal in California 308,338?

#15 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

What should the gas block be torqued to? Mine is starting to loosen up and I want to tighten it but couldn't find the specs for my Mini-14.Darren

#16 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:59 PM

It took me a little over an hour to build my first complete rifle starting from a bare lower receiver and a complete upper assembly. All you need is set of roll pin punches ($10) or so, a small hammer, a butter knife and a regular screwdriver. They are addictive though I have two complete ones including a left handed Stag and just ordered another upper assembly for my third lower because Armalite had a killer sale over Thanksgiving.Come on over to Calguns read the FAQ's Here are my two (my new Armalite upper gets delivered Tuesday):Posted Image

#17 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:28 AM

What should the gas block be torqued to? Mine is starting to loosen up and I want to tighten it but couldn't find the specs for my Mini-14.Darren

24 -36 inch lbs. Recommend 36.

#18 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:37 AM

24 -36 inch lbs. Recommend 36.

Thanks! Will do that tonight.Darren

#19 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

Posted Image

Are those the Button release Mags ? or are they top loaders " fixed Magazines"? I just get nervous when " Barney Fife" pulls you over, doesent know the current Gun laws.. and you end up in jail for his Lack of knowledge... lol

#20 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

At the time of the picture both of these had maglocks installed so you pulled the rear pin and loaded from the top of the magazine. Since then I've installed a Monster man grip and traded the flash hider for a compensator on the left handed Stag. I run it feature less now so I use my normal capacity magazines and the regular magazine release.The new one I'm building with the Armalite upper will have a bullet button.

#21 Eric

Eric

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

I'm thinking about using my AR for hunting. Has anyone had any problems with the Po-Po while hunting with their AR?

#22 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

question are Ar30's legal in California 308,338?

Yes they are legal...

#23 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:07 AM

Thank You

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users