• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:13 PM

The ducks just keep coming at our house so we decided to try making some duck summer sausage. It turned out great. Seven pounds lasts about two or three days. So now we have to keep hunting them ducks so we can make more!If anyone is interested, I'll post the recipe we use.Truckeedan
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#2 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:54 PM

Post it please!!! ;) ...
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#3 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:19 PM

Truckeedan's Duck Summer Sausage5 lbs. Duck Breasts (we have used fresh and frozen from last year's ducks and can't tell the difference.)2 - 2 1/2 lbs Bacon Ends or Salt Pork4 Tbsp. Salt (non-iodized) Cut salt to 2 Tbsp if you use salt pork.3 1/2 Tsp Course Ground Black Pepper (tip: the Food Processor is faster that a pepper mill)1 3/4 Tsp. Salt Cure (Morton's Pickling Salt or Lure Jensen Salt Cure from a sausage kit)1/2 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper3/4 Tsp. Whole Mustard Seed (can use same amount of mustard powder if you don't have the seed)3/4 Tsp. Whole Black Pepper 1/2 Tsp. Garlic PowderGrind duck and pork. Mix spices together and mix thoroughly with the ground meat in a glass or plastic bowl. Cover and let it sit in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours.Stuff 2X12 inch synthetic or muslin sausage casings with the sausage mixture. This makes about 10 to 12 nine inch chubs. I use a sausage stuffer from a Lure Jensen sausage kit. We made the first batch using the Lure Jensen Summer Sausage Kit and it tasted quite a bit like the recipe above except that is was more salty, but we used salt pork. The stuffer can be reused and you can buy more casings.Hang the sausages in the smoker (I use my Little Chief) and smoke for 12 hours. I use Cherry wood chips but you can use Hickory if you want a stronger smoke flavor. Use four pans of chips for smoke and then let the sausages remain in the smoker for the remainder of the time.When the sausages come out of the smoker, we put them on a cookie sheet and finish them in the oven at 200 degrees for a half an hour. This insures an internal temprature of 160 degrees (check with a meat thermometer) just to make sure everything is cooked.You can leave sausages made in muslin casings with the casing on and keep them in the fridge for two to three weeks. Muslin casings shrink with the sausage and you can peel it off when you cut the sausage. We use synthetic casings and remove them after smoking and cooking and vacuum pack the chubs. They should last up to a month in the fridge or six months in the freezer if vacuum packed. (Not sure though because we have never had any around long enough to get to freeze it!)It is great cubed and scrambled with eggs, sliced with cheese and crackers or just plain. Probably good a bunch of other ways too but we haven't gone there yet.Good eating!!!

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,772 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

That sounds great. I don't shoot ducks so don't have them to do up, but I imagine your recipe would be good with a lot of different meats.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

My guess is that you could make coyote sausage using this recipe. (Bet it would give you bad breath and heartburn really bad!!!) You can substitute beef, lamb, pork, bear, deer, elk, moose, antelope, almost anything (but coyote) for the duck. We are going to try goose when ever they start flying.Dan

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:04 AM

Thats a great Idea one of my inlaws shoots a lot of geese every year and has trouble eating them sometimes. I tried eating a goose breast tasted like poo poo. I use to put duck in the crock pot it was ok not great.

#7 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

Aside from being tough and dry, goose doesn't taste bad. It should make great summer sausage. By the way, if anybody is actually interested in making the sausage, you can pick up packaged bacon ends at WalMart way cheaper that buying salt pork. The bacon ends will give your sausage a slightly smokier flavor which is not a bad thing.Truckeedan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users