• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,053 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:35 AM

We had the topic of power case trimmers on the old forum. I think some of you would be interested in it again. I have reloaded for what seems like forever, over forty years. I started as an inexpensive way to get ammunition for my centerfire guns and shotguns. The part I disliked and took the most time for me was case trimming. It is a necessary evil related to reloading. From my old trim dies and a file to Forster trimming tool to a Possum Hollow case trimmer. I would sort my cases just to keep from having to trim and then grudgingly trim a bunch at a time. The Possum Hollow case trimmers are nice and if you don't mind using an electric drill then it is relatively painless and somewhat faster. But it still isn't the perfect solution and if the Possum Hollow trimmer isn't held correctly and cleaned regularly it just doesn't cut enough. It can produce a great callus or blisters after a hundred cases. This is because you try to rotate the case in the trimmer to get all of the brass trimmed. You also have to chamfer the inside and outside of the case separately. It works and I've done thousands and thousands of cases with them. I was looking for something to do hundreds of cases at a time and I researched the two true powered models. Both of these models trim as well as chamfer the inside and outside of the case. This is the real time and finger saving procedure. The Gracey and the Giraud. The Gracey is powered but is more of a powered pencil sharpener. It is also quite messy as the trimmed brass goes everywhere. It is very similar to a powered Possum Hollow just faster. It just isn't built to the standards of the Giraud and you can see that in the pictures. You'll want to wear safety glasses and a face shield using the Gracey. There is a protective shield that is supposed to keep the brass in but it doesn't work well. It also gets loose and lost rather quickly. The Gracey has a tendency to not clean the shaved brass as well as the Giraud. It works but is not the finely machined and built trimmer that the Giraud case trimmer is. Here are some pictures and links for you to look at if you are interested in any of these.Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer about $19 per caliber plus holder.http://www.sinclairi...5-7X&type=storePosted ImageGracey Power Cartridge Case Trimmer about $277 one caliber.http://www.matchprep.com/Posted ImageGiraud Power Trimmer about $365 one caliber.http://www.giraudtool.com/index.htmPosted ImageA final note here about my Giraud. I bought several calibers for my most used rifles. There is some setup time changing the tool heads but not bad. When I first got the Giraud I retested some of my formerly trimmed brass. I was shocked that there was brass that hadn't been removed on some cases. I found this due to the fact small shavings were coming between the case trimmers and the trimmer itself. This didn't allow the case to be fully trimmed. The Giraud because of it's design allows the trimmed brass to fall down and away from the case and into a clear material compartment. You can easily see and empty this when necessary. I have been able to do thousands of cases a day easily. My wife even did 4000 cases for me one afternoon just sitting on the patio. That paid for the trimmer for me. Either model or design you use these models speed up the process of case trimming.Best of luck...John

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:21 PM

Great info, thanks!!!

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:58 PM

Next time you get it setup and running would you take a couple of pictures for me? I'd like to see where the holders and shells are going.

#4 tomcat

tomcat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

dumb ???? what is case trimming do??? just starting...

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,053 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

Cases stretch as you shoot them. So they need to be trimmed when they get to long.

Time waits for no one--

#6 tomcat

tomcat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:31 AM

how do you now that thay need trimmed? im new to all this im geting a LEE Anniversary Kit just payed for it from midsouth and sum dies for my 22-250.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,053 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:31 AM

You measure the cases with a micrometer. Or after full lenght sizing they have guages that will tell you. Some people just wait until the bolt is harder to close and trim after that point. It's something you'll learn as you go along.

Time waits for no one--

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

I just sat in the garage and deprimed/sized 350 of my 223 cases. As I sat watching that pile of brass grow I kept thinking about how much easier this little baby would make the the trimming and deburring process! John, you know you're a bad influence on me, right?

#9 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,773 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

He sure is. I was happy using my balance scale and then he got to talking about that RCBS 1500. Now I'm short about $300 in my checking account. He is a bad person. :huh:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

You got one too? I love mine!! What's he going to have us buying next??? Hmmm.. think he is getting some kinda kick back for all these sales he is generating?

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,053 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:53 AM

What's he going to have us buying next??? Hmmm.. think he is getting some kinda kick back for all these sales he is generating?

I'm just making your life easier for you. :huh: I wished they'd have had these tools when I started reloading. They are somewhat expensive but what's your time worth. Plus they are very precise tools which is extremely important in reloading. I don't think I could go back to the old ways ever again. Let me see, what do you guys need next? :huh:

Time waits for no one--

#12 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

Let me see, what do you guys need next? :huh:

... waiting with baited breath!

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,053 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

I'm thinking, I'm thinking. I'll get back to you. :huh:

Time waits for no one--

#14 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,773 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

They are somewhat expensive but what's your time worth. Plus they are very precise tools which is extremely important in reloading.

Well, since I am retired, and have all day to do what ever I want, I guess my time isn't worth too much. :huh: But, it is going to be fun to just play with the darned thing. By the way, I have not received it yet. My wife got it for me for Christmas, but it was backordered at Natchez and it is supposed to come in Monday. I don't think I could go back to the old ways ever again. Let me see, what do you guys need next? More money to buy the toys you all seem to have? :huh:
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

I'm thinking, I'm thinking. I'll get back to you. :lol:

Chronograph?

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,053 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

Chronograph?

I assumed you had one. They're a must I have two. I love the little printer on mine so I don't have to remember to write things down. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

Maybe a good future raffle item?

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,053 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:53 PM

You going to donate one? :P

No! :) I keep one as a backup. :P

Time waits for no one--

#19 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

I got my case trimmer in the mail yesterday. Way too cool !!!

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,053 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

And you haven't used it yet! :D You'll be having fun soon! :D

Time waits for no one--

#21 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:14 PM

I have, I finished about 560 rounds of 223 today!

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,053 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:32 PM

Good Boy! :D I knew you'd be addicted. :D

Time waits for no one--

#23 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

I noticed over the weekend that it is a lot eaiser to start the bullet seating process with that slight chamfer this trimmer puts inside the case neck. Make that bullet a boat tail and it is really easy!

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,053 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:17 AM

Even if you don't have a Giraud trimmer like ours you really need to ream the inside and outside of your case necks. It can be hard on the finger with that little tool so I used to use it in a cordless drill as it goes so much faster.Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

#25 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:24 AM

Yea, I used one of those and am glad to be able to retire it! It just doesn't do as good of a job as my new one.

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,053 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:26 AM

That's true the Giraud is far better. But for those odd occasional cartridges that I still load for I can't get rid of it as it's a great little tool to have around the loading bench.

Time waits for no one--

#27 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

Yes, my educated guess on how much material I've removed isn't as accurate as the Giraud. I ordered the hold and cutter head for my 300 Win, too!

#28 mrkubota

mrkubota

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:firearms/shooting, flying, music:<br />http://music.download.com/stratusgospel

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:52 AM

Hi all!New guy here... I come from the .50bmg world and have used the Giraud trimmer for some time.I started with the RCBS hand cranked, then Lyman motorized, then a Gracey...and the Giraud is by far the best I've used. Also just installed Doug's motor/cutter upgrade kit for the Gracey and that has made it worth using once again!For those still wondering how well the Giraud operates, here's a short video I did of mine trimming 1/10" from a .50BMG case mouth. (prepping them for a .50DTC wildcat conversion)right-click, save as: Giraud TrimmerGreat Forum ya'll have here!//Ben

#29 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,773 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

Welcome aboard Ben. Good to have ya here.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#30 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

Welcome, Ben.... 50 BMG? too cool!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users