10 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:48 AM

I saw this over on The High Road.Pretty large caliber air rifles that seem to "do the trick."
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:22 AM

That's pretty amazing. Still, I prefer something with a little more kick for large game that size unless I'm in a sturdy, tall tree.

#3 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:29 AM

While I think it's amazing what air rifles can do these days, I have mixed feelings on this kind of hunting.

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:07 PM

These days?How about 1803?VMI MuseumDiscovering Lewis & Clark:1106:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#5 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

These days?How about 1803?

I stand corrected. Thats pretty interesting reading.I grew up w/ a "Red Ryder" & thought I was the shiz on the block. lol

#6 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

Some years ago the American Rifleman ran an article on that air rifle. And the internet, being what it has evolved to, had more history than I remembered about it. :) Two hundred years ago they had a repeating air rifle that could be used for deer hunting.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#7 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

I see that A17 brought up the Lewis & Clark gun. That pretty much settle most arguments.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

Supposedly someone has the Lewis & Clark gun somewhere.I think it was a 44 cal 10 shot repeater that amazed the indians and was one of the main reasons they didnt kill them.

#10 cliff

cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

Air rifles can cream cottontails, bullfrogs, and squirrels at up to fifty yards. A .25 caliber air rifle with groin-ripping cocking effort can kill a crow at seventy-five yards in low wind if its feathers are ruffled. Gunpowder is actually more potent than air power. Air rifle hunting represents an artform in stalking and creates a sport of its own. A .223 Remington takes the sport out of using a seventy-five air-powered hail Mary shot at a crow. Vaporization and fluttering black feathers will seldom if ever be witnessed by airgunners. Air rifles have their distinct value within the confines of a barn filled with livestock, or on an English countryside where firearms are illegal. I'm pro air-power, except where it isn't necessary or illegal.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:13 PM

Air rifles have been around for centuries. The one the Lewis & Clark expedition used was a 20 shot .51 caliber man killer. You can read some about it here: http://www.lewis-cla...p?ChannelID=300

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users