13 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:16 PM

I have a replaceable filter that handles .1 micron (think I have the size right). It works just fine. However, I want to upgrade soon to a ceramic kit to go in my pack. REI seems to have the best selection, but was curious what people carry around here. I carry a 2 liter Camelbak right now on my pack, and sometimes a spare canteen depending on where I am going. Ceramic is the way I want to go, and I want to keep the price point under $120.Darren

#2 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:46 PM

I do quite a bit of backpacking in the summer and have a Katadyn in my pack. Most of the more expensive water filters use ceramic filters. I'd check out campmor.com, they have quite a bit of stuff. Once your in camp and have everything unpacked the water pump/filters work great, but if you're still hiking and want to refill your water bottle they are kind of a pain to unpack. A few years ago I started carrying a Seychelle water bottle, it's a filtered water bottle and it clips to the outside of your pack. Just dunk it in a stream and drink, works great.When I'm out hunting I'm usually not too far from the truck and keep everything in the ice chest.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:00 PM

Years ago when we used the mules to pack into Thousland Lake Wilderness area, we didn't take any kind of fancy water filter. We just filled the cup half water and half whiskey. Worked great. :lol:

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

These are cool.http://www.campmor.c...mberId=12500226Posted Image

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:29 PM

Yup. Same thing as the Seychelle.

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

I carry the filter for when I am overnighting it up on a ridge. Have my little MSR burner and need to refill water in my Camelbak. Everything else can stay in the truck miles away and not worry. The sports bottle doesn't seem to hold enough for me, so I don't use them. Thanks for the website though!Darren

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:10 PM

Darren, did you see the bottle has a filter built into it? You just fill it from a stream and drink. When you run out all you need to do is refill it.

#8 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:35 PM

I did see that. My main use is on elk hunts where I carry 2 liters of water for drinking and cooking with at a time when we camp out. Sports bottles don't work as well up there (at least in my experience). It is a good idea for day hunts that I do in California though.Darren

#9 NEW2AR15's

NEW2AR15's

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

At work I've used MSR water works with the ceramic filter which works great but you have to clean the filter fairly often. And you need to carry a widemouth nalgen bottle. We have been switching over to the steripen's, which uses a uv light to kill all dna in the water(I think) Very quick, fill bottle stick light in water for 1-2 min(per 32oz) and you can drink! I am sceptical though!

#10 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

When I was looking for mine the guy at REI reccomended the Katydin(sp?) hiker and thats the one I got. I haven't had occasion to use it yet but I understand its great as long as you keep it out of really mucked up water. I like that its really lightweight and doesn't take a degree to figure out how to use it.

#11 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:31 AM

When I was backpacking I used to just carry iodine or bleach and a splash of tang to cover up any bad taste. You can add a drop or two of bleach and it doesn't make the water taste any worse than city water and it makes the water safe. Other thing, I used to do, is boil the water, you said you have a msr stove.. boil the water, let it sit for a few min, throw it in your water bottle and then toss ur water bottle into the stream to cool off, or boil it and leave it in the pot overnight to cool off. I sure miss backpacking, when I was moving a few months ago I stumbled onto my pac and all ym dog poop, little whisperlite stove, thing hadnt been used in prolly 4 years and it fired rt up with the old white gas that was in the bottle too. Of course I bought a water filter, got sick of having to always treat the water or wait for it to cool off. Nothing taste as good as hiking up to a fresh stream and pumpin some ice cold water into your bottle on a hot day.

#12 ali-baba

ali-baba

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

#2 for the bleach, used it backpacking when I was younger (pre filters) and camping in Baja for the dish water, Pacifico was always preferred for liquid refreshment. My dad who was a doctor, told me two drops per gallon would do. Use an eye dropper so it is light and convenient. I would do a net search to make sure that is still the recommended ratio. Great way to treat bulk water.

#13 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

These are what we used in Wyoming...the guide gave each of the hunters one of these...very nice and works well

#14 Beretta

Beretta

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing and camping. <br />NRA lifetime member, Ducks<br />Unlimited member and 8 year <br />member of the River Ranch Hunt Club.

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

Be-sure you have room for the KEYSTONE LIGHT!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users