• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:40 PM

I took a drive out scout for places to shoot awhile back and stumbled on a unique old tractor. A friend of mine buys and restores antique tractors and farm equipment. While I was there asking a few questions and snapping a few pictures, I spied something I wanted. I like old farm equipment but I love old hit & miss engines. I had an idea what it was and asked about it. The old timer said he had it running a couple of years ago but then put it out in the barn. I asked to look closer at it. I rotated the flywheels and it felt good and then he said it has a crank right here. You never find the cranks with them. So I spun it over once to check the magneto and I'll never get used to the ZAP they give you especially since I wasn't expecting it to work. He smiled and said, "I told you everything worked." As I worked my arm back into its socket I asked if it was for sale. :rofl2: He said everything is for sale. So I asked him how much he wanted and I got the answer I always hate. What is it worth to you. :drinks: What I think it's worth and what I'm willing to pay are sometimes vastly different sums. I told him I'd think about it and tell my friend about the tractor if he could hold it for me. He said sure it wasn't going anywhere. On the way out of the barn I noticed something else I have a fondness for. It was at least a 300 pound Haybuden anvil. It looked like it hadn't been used in 50 years and was in great shape. I had to ask and he said everything was for sale. So I got his phone number and my buddy bought the tractor. The owner was sure happy about that too. I got the engine I wanted for $200 :drinks: . It's a 1925 Fuller & Johnson model NB 2HP at a break neck speed of 600 RPM's. Then he said I tell you what, "You can have the anvil for selling my tractor!" :) I picked up the anvil when I helped my friend get his tractor. But I went and picked up my engine today. It is the heaviest thing. Back in 1925 they built things to last, did I say it was heavy. I had to use my engine hoist to get it out of my Expedition. Here's a few pictures of her. :D Attached File  F_J1.jpg   155.91KB   73 downloadsAttached File  F_J2.jpg   169.75KB   71 downloadsAttached File  F_J3.jpg   160.98KB   76 downloads

#2 Buckaroobarnone

Buckaroobarnone

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:46 PM

Very nice John! Don't ya love it when a plan comes together? I've worked on some old WWII equipment (threadroller) in a machine shop and man what a beast. That's what happens when you take pride in what your building. Congrats!

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:56 PM

Yep I worked on locomotives and rail stock as my first welding job out of college. It was for Southern Pacific and I got to play with all of the old equipment which got me into blacksmithing. I loved that old stuff.

#4 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

what a steal!! Lets see a pic of the anvil. i love those things.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

I shoot a pic of the anvil tomorrow. :drinks:

#6 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:04 PM

Great find on both of them. Those old engines are neater than a train wreck.

#7 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:06 PM

John.... wasn't that engine used for pumping water? I've seen them laying around old barns, etc. That anvil is a fine, for sure.

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:40 PM

Would love to have a big anvil, and the place to put it. I think they are so cool. Nice find John.

#9 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:58 AM

Right on John... Those things are cool...

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:34 AM

Those engines were used for everything you can think of. With the gear on this one I've read it most likely powered a cement mixer. But I have a belt pulley for it to so I can power other items with it like water pumps and small saws. The guy has an old 25HP Fairbanks Morse but it heavier than I can carry right now. He said it's about 6000 pounds. :doh[1]:

#11 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:38 AM

The guy has an old 25HP Fairbanks Morse but it heavier than I can carry right now. He said it's about 6000 pounds. :rofl2:

Just hit the gym a little, you'll be alright... :doh[1]:

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:44 AM

I'm looking for an equipment trailer for my little tractor so I'll get one larger than I need. That way when I stumble on something I can get it home. I've got a 12,000# winch to install on the trailer so it can help my back out. A neighbor down the street has a big forklift for unloading alfalfa and other horse stuff at their stables I can borrow.

#13 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:10 PM

Just hit the gym a little, you'll be alright... :doh[1]:

Heck, that IS THE GYM!!!

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

what a steal!! Lets see a pic of the anvil. i love those things.

Hey Eric I forgot to ever get a picture of the anvil for you until I came across this post again recently. I cut a redwood down for a friend yesterday so I cut a couple of rounds for my two most used anvils. The one on the left is 150lber and the one I got from that guy is on the right. It weighs around 300lbs as I weighed it in my truck at the truck scales. It's a great anvil but I wouldn't trade either of these. I have two 125lbers I wanted to try anvil shooting with. :lol:

Now the wife wants redwood stepping stones for the gardens so that's my next project. It's always something.002-4_zpscc66226a.jpg

#15 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Very cool finds. Congrats.

#16 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Those hit and miss engines sure are neat. What was the tractor you found? Ever since I got my first antique tractor I can't drive down a country road without trying to see if there is any old iron is hiding in every overgrown patch of weeds. I really want a farmall M or one of the big cubic inch john deere two cylinders like the G, D, and R. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#17 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,806 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

Cool stuff. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#18 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:08 AM

Ford owners are used to "Hit and Miss engines.. :smiley_green_with_envy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users