• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

OK folks. I have been talking on here about making a new type call and I have come up with something. I want to post it up and have everyone take a look at it. I am looking for specific comments about what you think, what I should change, etc. So feel free to sound off.The call is a closed reed call that can be voiced anyway you want it. It uses the standard JC Reed so can easily be changed. It is made from a shotgun shell. Actually only the brass from the shot shell. The rest has been trimmed away and replaced with wood. On this first prototype, I used an old shell that I found on the range. It ended up having all the brass color get polished off in sanding. Hopefully, if I use a new one, that won't happen. The over all length of the call is 3". For comparison, I used a new 3" shell, but it actually measures 2 9/16" long. My first question is should I leave it at 3" or cut it off. How long does a Super Mag 3 1/2" shell measure. Maybe that is what length I should be using.I used Red heart for the wood. It is all natural. Should I try dyeing the wood so it is more red, painting the wood, using acrylic or just not worry about it? Should I try and go with different colors of wood to replicate different brands of shells? This one happens to be a Winchester.I want to try and make some from 20g shells and some from 10g shells. Should each be different colors or does that make a difference? The last thing I have considered is to leave the plastic casing in place and just line it with wood for rigidity. I don't know how that would look or hold up, but just another idea. OK here are the pictures of the call with a live 12g for comparison.Attached File  Shotshell1.jpg   28.2KB   72 downloadsAttached File  Shotshell2.jpg   15.21KB   69 downloadsAttached File  Shotshell3.jpg   23.4KB   69 downloadsAttached File  Shotshell4.jpg   23.22KB   77 downloads
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#2 Buckaroobarnone

Buckaroobarnone

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:45 PM

I think it's very ingenius of you Braz to try something like that! Nice job! Very realistic! :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

I'd probably grab it out of my pocket and run it into the chamber without thinking. It looks very real to me. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

Very cool Lynn! Maybe a red color wood instead of paint. I like where you're going with this. It would have to stay on my lanyard though so it wouldn't find it's way into the ol Benelli.
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#5 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:10 PM

Yea, see that is another issue. How do I do a lanyard holding spot? I don't want to grove the call, although that would work. I may consider drilling though one side with a double hole to make a spot to hook on to. Maybe just carry in the pocket. See, another issue to be resolved. This is fun!!
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:28 PM

Um carrying it in the pocket would be a bad idea for me...that's where I keep my shotgun shells.
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#7 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

Oh I don't know a groove right above the brass would look good by me. I'm with Mike, wouldn't want to carry it in my pocket.

#8 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:47 AM

I would be the one that would pull out a live round out of my pocket and stick it in my mouth...Not sticking th call in the gun...

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

great looking call. i would go with the double hole for the lanyard. I think the size would produce a great sound..

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:30 PM

That looks awsome Lynn. I kinda' like the faded red color. It reminds me of an old papper cased shell thats been left in a duck blind for a while. A little rounding of the edges at the end would really give it the look of and old time roll crimped shell. You could try grooving the call just enough for the lanyard string to fall halfway in. It might not be noticeable once the lanyard is on the call. You could also drill a single hole in one side of the call so a piece of lanyard string could be poked tru, pushed out the open end of the call, tied in a knot big enough that it wont pass thru the drilled hole, and then pulled back inside. I wonder if it would be possible to make a dove call or a pintail/teal wistle that looks like that? You should get your idea trademarked or copywritten or whatever the heck you need to do because I get the feeling that if one of the large call companys saw that they'd sell 'em by the thousands. Just think about how many shotshell shaped pocket knives, coffee mugs, thermoses, trailer hitch ball covers, and beer can holders have been sold.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#11 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

Thats a great looking call. I love your creativity with those calls. I would love to buy a call from you eventually.

#12 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

The best way is to have an idea of what you want, contact me and I can make it up for you. Easy. But I do, once in a while, post one up here for sale. Unfortunately, I don't have any for sale right not. But there will be a post that may interest you in a day or so. Wait for it. :roflmao3[1]:
Handmade Calls by Braz

#13 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:09 PM

Solder works on copper and I think it might work on the brass. You could solder a loop onto the end for a lanyard.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#14 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:38 PM

Verry cool Needs something on it so it wont end up in the gun or the mouth.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#15 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:05 AM

Definitely a neat idea, Lynn. I like the idea of rounding the edges a bit too.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#16 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:47 AM

The best way is to have an idea of what you want, contact me and I can make it up for you. Easy. But I do, once in a while, post one up here for sale. Unfortunately, I don't have any for sale right not. But there will be a post that may interest you in a day or so. Wait for it. :drinks:

Oh the suspence.

#17 LuckyShot

LuckyShot

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:32 PM

I got to see it first hand when I went to pick up the calles he made for me. It looks great and sounds great to so I think it will be a winner!
Northern California shooter

#18 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

Very Cool!

#19 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:03 PM

OK guys and gals. I have taken this one step further along. Here is a 20g shell that I completed this afternoon. Again, not being a new shell, it isn't the prettiest call, but I was working with what I had. I fitted a piece of wood into the body of the shell itself, and then trimmed it off. Then I drilled out the primer pocket for the reed to go in and used a forstner bit to hollow out the body. The inside is all oiled up nice for protection. I think it looks kinda cool. What do you think? Sorry about the quality of the pictures. I just remembered about 20 minutes ago that I had not taken pictures and ran out to the shop to take a few. I didn't bother to set up the tripod so they aren't the best.Attached File  20gcall1.jpg   71.88KB   67 downloadsAttached File  20gcall2.jpg   55.08KB   62 downloadsAttached File  20gcall3.jpg   47.03KB   64 downloads
Handmade Calls by Braz

#20 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

I think its a cool idea, and it looks great... :good: and I think I would only use it when Im hunting with a rifle...

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#21 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:57 AM

Oh Braz You are KILLING ME... I need one of the first one.. The red wood one.. Its gorgeous and I like the size. A small groove for the lanyard I think would be worth it so it doesnt get lost. A beauty like that deserves to be more than a shelf setter.
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#22 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:36 AM

Lynn you are coming up with some very unique calls. Very cool!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users