13 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:11 PM

Hey there CPC folks!I just sent the $$ off to my favorite firearms supplier for two new hand cannons. http://www.sportingarms.com I have ordered a Taurus Raging Bull in .44 Magnum, SS, 8 3/8? ported barrel. http://www.taurususa...tegory=Revolver Posted Image And just ?cause I already have a .30 Carbine, I also ordered a Taurus Raging Thirty. http://www.taurususa...tegory=Revolver Posted Image The Thirty?s have been discontinued by Taurus owing to low demand and there are only a few ?out there? . . . I snagged one of ?em! The 30 has a 10? non ported barrel and I am almost more excited about this one than the .44!Now I need to look into scopes for these two toys. I will order the bases from Taurus on Tuesday for both revolvers. As far a scopes go, I am leaning towards Bushnell?s for both of them. http://theopticzone....il.aspx?ID=3255 I believe they will do the trick!Whoo-Hoo! . . . and awwwwwwwww nutz . . . now the wait for the wait starts . . . I suspect the revolvers will ship mid next week, fill out the paperwork late next week or early the following week and wait some more!I wanna make ?em go BOOM now! :lol: Kevin G.

#2 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:18 PM

I like that, a guy is trying to figure out which gun to get a .44 or .454He goes shopping and buys two guns :lol: Those are nice, especially the .44, not a fan of the 30 Carbine, but interesting.Good choice on the scopes for a variable.Will be looking forward to a range reportand does waiting and then waiting some more SUCK ;)

#3 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:49 PM

Hey there Sterling,Uhhhh, errrrr, ummmmmmm . . . yeah. :P If you can't decide . . . get 'em both and be done with it! (It is a cry for help and a sickness . . . I'm OK with that just the same . . .smirk).I *ALMOST* ordered the 454 as well . . . time to take a breath first. I need to start reloading first. For the price of 20 rounds of .454, I can buy 50 rounds of the .44. It became a 'no brainer' then.Both Steven and I enjoy shooting the M1 Carbine a bunch. Granted it isn't very accurate (unless installed in my Choate stock), but it is a hoot and a half to shoot just the same! ;) I still need to upgrade the glass on it. It was a toss up between the Hunter or the Raging, though I am partial to the Raging version. The hunter has a 12" barrel and is a 'sporter' contour as well, not the heavy slab-side. Yote wack'n with the 30 ought to be a HOOT!Since the Thirty's have been discontinued by Taurus . . . AND there were three of 'em 'locatable' (is that a word?) . . . the time was now or never. So . . . now it is then. Allrightfinethen. :lol: Steven was rather excited about the .44 or the .30 . . . he ought to simply pop when he finds out I have ordered both! ;) Thanks as well for the remarks on my choice of optics . . . would you have any other recommendation other than my current selection? I am not very partial to 'Dot' type glass. Also . . . do you (or anyone . . . anyone . . . ) have a lock on a good padded cross-chest holster for either of these two revolvers with a scope? I am snooping, but have not come up with much as of yet.Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock . . . dang wait period.Kevin G.PS . . . I am looking for a good Smith to get my .32 throphy piece back to functional mode . . . anyone have a recommendation?

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:51 PM

Kevin G. ,Congrats on the purchase. I like both of your choices. The Bushnell makes a good match and having both guns with the same model scope means you will always have the same view. I had a 30 carbine Rooger once upon a time. The 30 is loud. You did miss your chance for a 17 HMR revolver. :lol: Maybe next time?A17Shooter

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:37 PM

cool toys :lol: .

#6 gunnut

gunnut

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:45 PM

Cool Kevin.I've been thinking about the 218 bee taurus for awhile now.Please let us know how they feel when you get em.

#7 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:56 PM

Thanks as well for the remarks on my choice of optics . . . would you have any other recommendation other than my current selection? I am not very partial to 'Dot' type glass.

I think the 2-6 would be good on the 30 Carbine, But on the .44 your shot probabley won't be that far so might consider a fixed power like 4X, this will give you a wider FOV.I had the 2-6 Bushy on my .44 and it was great of the bench but not alot of FOV.I'm replacing it with a 4X., Bushy dosn't make a 4X so I'm going with Simmons.I think you'll be happier with the Raging over the Hunter, the shorter barrel is easier packing.T/C makes good cross chest holsters for scoped guns.

#8 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:34 AM

Hello again Sterling,I have not had very good luck with the Simmons lines of optics save for the two WTC18?s that I have. My Atec failed after about 20 rounds of .30-06 as well as its replacement: (also an Atec). I had a WTC 10 (?) fail as well. :) Thankyouverymuch . . . The WTC 14 that is on Steven?s .243 is still going strong however . . . go figure huh?I really like the Bushnell 3200 (I have a 1.5 x 4.5 x 32 on my slug gun)and I am VERY pleased with the Bushnell 4200 (I have ehhh 4 or 5 of ?em ranging from 2.5 x 10 x 50 up to 4 x 16 x 50AO). I am enamored with the Weaver Grand Slam line as well. I have two of them, one on my .17HMR, the other on my .22WMR. I also use a Weaver T36 for bench work.One of these days I might get a Leopold just to see what all the chatter is about. To be honest, I have looked through a Leopold and I think my Bushnell 4200?s are clearer. I dunno.Perhaps a Leopold 4X for the .44? I will do some reading about them and snoop . . . Ehhhhhh . . . leaning towards two Bushnell?s for the cannons . . .What and/or who is T/C? You had mentioned them for the padded chest holster for the scoped cannons. Could you post a link please?I will go and snoop at the cannon optics that Leopold has just the same. :lol: Thanks again Sterling!Kevin G.

#9 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

Hey Kevin:T/C = Thompson Center Arms.I just checked their web and Fox Ridge Outfitters and I don't see the chest holster anymore.Here is one from Michaels of Oregon:Camo:Uncle MikesBlack:Uncle MikesI prefer Bushy Scopes to but will give Simmons a try, the rifle scopes I have had have never failed and always functioned great. I have a 4200, 3200 and 3000 Bushnell and love them. I had a 2-6x32 Trophy Pistol scope and it was great, should of kept that one.I really like Burris as well but like Lupy the are alot of Dough.

#10 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:25 AM

BINGO!! Winner! Winner! Winner! Ding! Ding! Ding!That is the holster configuration I was thinking of Sterling . . . Thanks!I have bookmarked the site. They come in several sizes and I will call them on Monday or Tuesday (when they are open) and speak with the folks about which one for which revolver.Sweet! B)Whoo-Hoo! :DThanks a bunch Sterling! Kevin G.

#11 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 January 2006 - 12:42 PM

The black Uncle Mikes is the one I have for my Ruger Super RedHawk with scope. It fits well and is comfortable. At least, as comfortable as one can be carrying a handgun that large. :lol:

#12 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 02:20 PM

Hello Steve & Happy Belated Birthday to you!I have been around, though not hunting. I have been up to my eyeballs in consulting work for another Medical Device manufacturing company (start up) here in the Bay Area.I did make it out for the last week of Deer season in the B zones. We didn't see squat the whole time. Well, save for a big grey Squirrel that ended up meeting his maker after he insulted me for about a 1/2 hour.I did make it to the range a couple times, but that was about it. I went to the re-opened Livermore range . . . not impressed. There is NOTHING to stop the wind, save for the cars parked in the lot. Man . . . VERY windy. All in all the range folks are very nice, though they had a strong case of the 'just opened' jitters. The benches are pretty stout as well.Steven got a brand spakning new Penn International 12LT for Christmas that I will send off to have two speeded and blueprinted. I am training him to be a Tackle-Ho . . . just like dad . . . (smirk). I will 'prolly take the family to Australia this coming summer and forgo the normal fishing trip. I am planning on a 10 day trip with Steven in the summer of '07 however. Time to hook him up with a Wahoo and laugh my butt off as he sprints up the side of the boat in an attempt to catch up with the 'hoo. I need to get him a 50SW and have it blueprinted for 130/200 pound for Kite and chunk fishing.Anywho . . . I am here, just have not had anything to post about . . . well . . . save for my new hand cannons that is!I will post photo's of 'em once I get 'em scoped.Kevin G.

#13 Rocketman

Rocketman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:07 AM

KevinThose will come in handy for the BIG squirrels in Cedarville this April!!Ed

#14 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

Hey there Ed!Happy New Year to you and yours!Yeah . . . you never know when one of those sneaky buggers will attack you from your 6.One MUST take precautions and be ever vigilant! :D I think the .44 should do the trick . . . for now and 'prolly forever: the Raging Thirty is No Joy here in Californicate. :D Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . . . what a pain in the Hoo-Ha . . . April is right around the corner!Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users