• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

My grandpa is 90 yrs old and his health is failing pretty fast. I went to visit him today and he gave me his prized shotgun. I tried to tell him to hold on to it because phesant season is around the cornner and we still need him as a blocker at the end of the fields, but he said his hunting days are over and that he might not live to see the next season. We both got a little choked up and he told me that every man needs a good "atamatic" and that I'd better take it befor someone else claimed it. I always admired Papas shotgun but never wanted to take ownership of it. It's a 12 gauge winchester model 50. It's heavy and I don't shoot it that well because it doesn't have a rib on the barrel, but it was my granpas gun so I will hunt with and cherish it forever.Posted Image

#2 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

Most of my rifles are inherited from my grandfathers. I always will cherish them and not get rid of them.Darren

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

I'm sorry to hear your gandfather feels his hunting days are over. But it was very thoughtful of him to give you his gun while he still could. It means more when they hand it to you and tell you they want you to have it. I have a couple of guns from my great grandfather that I really cherish. An uncle of mine stole all of the guns my grandfather had left to me. They weren't fancy or anything but I would have liked to have them. You know sentimental reasons more than anything.

#4 Buckaroobarnone

Buckaroobarnone

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:17 PM

That's sad but very moving at the same time. I hope he's kickin around for along time swapin hunting stories!

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:38 AM

Cherish it! I have my grandfather's original Sears Roebuck (listed as Roebuck & Co.) 12 ga...took many a turkey and pheasant with it. it's probably 45-50yrs old.

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:25 PM

I have a Western Field 12 gauge bolt action that I hardly use but will never part with. Also have his JC Higgins .30-06 that needs a re-barrel that I love and used to use in 600 yard shoots out at West End Gun club years ago.Darren

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

When I was 11 years old, I got my first shotgun. My Dad bought me a Mossburg .410 bolt action. It had two chokes that screwed on the barrel. He had me shoot it on newspaper and put on what he felt was the best choke. I don't for the life of me remember what choke it is. However, it is still on the barrel and was never changed. The other one is long lost. Anyway, a couple of years ago I gave it to my grandson, who is now 25. The little gun needed a good cleaning but was otherwise still in good shape. I hope down the road he passes it on to my great grandson, who is now 4 years old, when he is old enough to shoot.

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

My old reloading mentor took me out to the bird club he belongs to last weekend and I got to put a few birds on the ground with grandads old pheasant gun. First he took me to the spot that everybody (and I do mean EVERYBODY) likes to hunt because it is close to where they drop the birds, but I didn't care for that kind of "hunting". The birds were fresh outta the pen (dumb) and there were just to many other hunters around. After I let two birds go by that would've been just to easy he asked what I wanted to do....."take me to a spot that is far from the plant spots and where nobody likes to hunt". It definitley took alot more work to get our birds but it was more like hunting wild birds. In fact, one of the birds was a wild bird (nostrils weren't punched out for a hood) and another one of the birds I got must have been a survivor from last year because he had one inch spurs compared to the half inchers that the rest of the birds sported. We had a great time and the old model 50 still has what it takes to put the pheasants on the ground...........Carrying that heavy sumbitch wore me out though.Posted Image

#9 jacobpaschall

jacobpaschall

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Interested in all things to do with accurate rifles. Use to competition benchrest shoot (NBRSA). Avid varmint hunter and handloader. Have all kinds of varmint guns, from facotry to fully custom.

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

Nice story; good to see you were able to get out and use your Papas shotgun. I'm sure he will be happy to hear that you put it to good use.

#10 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

You mean to tell me there's WILD pheasants left in the valley??? Wow... :signlol2iu: Good shootin'! I'm sure you couldn't wait to show your grandpa the pics & let him know his old gun can still knock 'em down. I'm willing to bet it probably put a big ol' smile on his face. :roflmao3[1]:

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

Nice Matt. It's more fun the way you went about it. :harhar1[1]:

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:04 AM

Papa passed away yesterday morning. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Although he couldn't heft a gun anymore, he got to see two pheasant seasons that the doctors said would never come for him, and he got to see his old winchester and first grandson win the family reunion trap shoot both of those years.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:10 AM

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. I'm sure he enjoyed seeing you enjoy the gun though. Plus you have all of the great memories of him tied to that shotgun.

#14 Guest_dan223_*

Guest_dan223_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Sorry for your loss ClampDaddy, He sounds like he was a great Man and an Awesome Grandpa. Thank you for sharing a bit about him with us this thread made me think back to shooting with my own Grandpa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users