#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:51 PM

I'm getting one of these for my 308 Tactical Rifle. This is the third scope for this rifle. First I had the Leupold Mk4-16X Tactical L/R on it, a great scope but not flexible enough for field use. Then there's the Nikon 2.5X10 Tactical. Excellent scope but not enough magnification for longrange precision work. Hopefully, the IOR will fill the shortcomings of the two. If this won't work out, I'll probablly sell all three and buy myself a US optics or an S&B, which I should have done in the first place. :smiley-sorry: http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03u

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

I think that you'll really like that scope, I have heard great things about them. Let us know your impressions!

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:09 AM

Recieved the IOR Monday and mounted it on my 308 Tactical rifle. I have to replaced the 20 MOA custom base that my gunsmith build on the rifle because the IOR Ring won't fit on it. The base is not a true 1913 Picatinny style...slot is too small. Luckily, I have a Leupold MK4 base on hand for such as occasion, so everything works out fine. Went to the range yesterday and run the scope on its paces. So far, all expectation was met. The scope tracks well. The glass from Schott is very clear. The MP-8 reticle, which is a Mil-dot variant, is much superior than the original design. The illumination reticle, which has 7 level of intensity, is very clear and precise. I also appreciate the center dot in the middle of the reticle... more like a floating dot, which help in precision aiming. For those who like the dot reticle, would really appreciate these set-up. Now off to 500 yard range!

#4 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:54 PM

Finally a new look!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

It sure looks good on there.

#6 Buckaroobarnone

Buckaroobarnone

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

That's a first class rig! Bet it shoots good too.

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

That's a first class rig! Bet it shoots good too.

The rifle can outshoot me... that's for sureHere's what it can do300 yards - 3 shot group with 155 grain Scenar on top, 5 shot group with 168 Nosler comp belowPosted ImageHere's the 3 shot group at 525 yards with the 155 grain ScenarPosted ImageTen shot at 100 yards with 168 grain Nosler CompetitionPosted Image

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

Yep, that gun can shoot. Nice, very nice.

#9 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

Scope quality can be measured by how good it tracks. One way to find out is to do a box test. Here's the result of the IOR's box test at 110 yards. I'm using the 155 grain Lapua Scenar for this box test. I initially fired three shot group on another target to see if my rifle zero is still on. I'm using a new batch of ammo, that I reloaded, using Winchester brass. I normally use Federal brass but I want to find out if Winchester will work with my rifle since I must have a truckload of them. The Winchester shoot half an inch low when compared with Federal but group just as well, so I left it alone.Fired the first shot at the center of the target and noted that the bullet impacted just as predicted, half inch low. I then dialed the elevation knob 3MOA up and windage 3MOA right and fired shot no.2. I then turned the elevation turret 6MOA down for shot no.3. For my 4th shot I totally got confused and dialed a total of 9MOA instead of 6. As you can see, shot no.4 ended up at the edge at the target. I went ahead and dialed the elevation turret 6MOA up, carefull this time not to make mistake, and fired shot no. 5. On shot no.6, I just reset both my elevation and windage dial back to my original zero and fired. And here the result!!!Posted ImageI was really impressed with the precision built into the IOR. My Leupold MK4 Tactical L/R scope's box test didn't even come close to these. My Nikon Tactical is the only one that came close in comparison.Posted Image

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:41 PM

Very impressive there DF. I know you must be tickled pink with those results.

#11 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

wow that looks great... the the retical is sweet.what remington 700 is that... What model?

#12 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

Very impressive there DF. I know you must be tickled pink with those results.

Yep! Heath. Funny, while doing this test late this afternoon, I got distracted by a doe and two pawn right in the line of fire. They were feeding right at the 100 yard backstop at our club range. They weren't bothered by my shot at all. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me. I had to wait for them to moved on before I could resumed my test. At least I was able to practice ranging the doe with the MP-8 reticle on the scope :drinks: I haven't filled my tag yet and I almost got tempted :good:

#13 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

wow that looks great... the the retical is sweet.what remington 700 is that... What model?

Quade, it started as a plain Jane 243 ADL Model 700 and I have Jim Gruning of Gruning Precision Rifle installed a Pac-Nor 3-grove Supermatch barrel on it. I had the barreled action teflon coated, and mounted on modified HS precision Varmint Synthetic stock, with HS 5 round detachable magazine, and bottom metal. I installed the Kydex cheekpiece for proper cheekweld. The rifle weigh 17 lbs, and its very pleasant to shoot. It's becoming to be my favorite rifle.

#14 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:12 PM

Howdy Desert Fox so is your scope 1st Focal plane? How much did that run you? $1200?????

#15 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

SFP. $1200 from Liberty Optics but I believe it's more now. The Hide design FFP is around $1300 but I heard they have problem on a few batch that came in. It got corrected but it took so long. I like the SFP design better than FFP. Besides, IOR don't offer illuminated reticle on the FFP scope.

#16 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

Oh yes FFP sucks for our hobby. Snipers need it for range estimation. Just walked in the door from range.Bushnell 4x16x40MM elite 4200 rules over my new Nikon 5x20x44MM..... Of course neither in in IOR field.

#17 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

Look at my classified I'm selling my B&L Elite 4000. Great scope... own two and haven't have use for another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users