• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:45 PM

Well, I removed the scope base and grip/stock and took the 6 MM Rem XP-100 over to the gunsmith. So by the time I left the action was stripped the bolt was in and out of the lathe for truing. Now a few more operations and it all goes back together. Some of the normal operations won't be done on this gun, like truing the receiver threads with a precision tap. That would change the inside diameter of the receiver threads slightly. Since the barrel was already threaded at the factory it is necessary to skip that step. This is the low budget way to do a rebarrelling. Is it worth the effort to pay the labor when you're skimping on the barrel? Well you'll have to decide that for your own project. But, the price of barrels from Lilja, Hart or other top end barrel makers is running around $300 - $350. The barrel is a varmint weight, matte finish 22-250 brandy new take off from some sacrificial factory gun. After the work is complete and it's back in the stock as a 16.5" 22-250 pistola, I'll get the pleasure of load work for a moderately accurate varmint pistol. I do anticipate getting it to group into about a half inch after a little breakin and load development. Now I have to decide about which scope to start with. Let's see, the fixed 10X Burris has always worked well but, it is really tough to line up for a shot. A rifle scope would be good for long shots but, a 22-250 in a handgun might cause the dreaded scope-eye. ;) Buying another scope doesn't seem like an acceptable option at this time. Decisions, Decisions. Of course the beast could be sent off to MagnaPort for some recoil taming, just have to double up on hearing protection then. :) Just thought I'd share the process of this project. Feel free to jump in with your opinions or questions.Gary

#2 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

Sounds like a fun project.I hope the hevty price tags on those XP's and other single shot guns go way down on 1 Jan when the laws change!I hope your smith is photo documenting the process. If so post them, I'd like to see the birth of your new child!Steve

The price tags on XPs are not likely to go down. They are out of production and benchresters are turning them into rifles. I understand that Savage has decided to stop making the strikers. That means that the nice folks that make this one are the only bolt action pistol game in town.Posted ImageYou can reach them at Wichita Arms . I can tell you from personal experience that they are not cheap.My smith photo document this project? Not likely. Heck, it may be done by now.If you want to see some of his stuff, go here . Gary

#3 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

Sounds like I better keep my XP's for sure now. The wife has a custom built 7X47 that is an incredible tack driver and works well on deer also. I got one built chambered in 7X40 Baker Special that is a tack driver also. Those XP's shoot like a house on fire right out of the box and when customized will put one bullet on top of the other all day long. Super shooters. The wife shot a 34 out of 40 over the 500 meter rifle course with her little 7X47 many years ago with open sights to give you an idea of how accurate they can be...Walt

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:38 AM

Walt,Yeah, I learned to accept getting beat by those female silhouette shooters. 37 of 40 on the 500 meter course with iron sights, that's dang good.A17Shooter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users