#1 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, surfing,fishing,sports,target shooting,reloading,camping

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:02 AM

Just purchased a boat project 1979 20' skipjack open great boat for the ocean but it needs engine work not sure if I will pull it out to rebuild or just get it running to see how good it is. Any body have any thoughts or ideas about this, help is always needed.

#2 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

You couldn't have picked a better boat. Solid, stable fishing platform. I've been on board new Parkers, Trophy's, Stripers, and none of them ride like a Skipjack. Give me a little more info I'll see if there is anything I can help with.
Jeph S"Team .223/6x47"

#3 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:50 AM

Worked on her all day saturday and I getting closer to getting the chevy 327 running I think its a 327 I found out also its a 1977 not 79. A freind told me the motor could be a 350 or 305 not sure, anyways it had a stuck lifter and I freed that up and put a new starter and cleaned up the heads with intake cleaner and Iam going to change the oil this morning and with some luck she might come to life.

#4 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

Well first off, if it's a small block Chevy, you can rebuild the entire motor for so cheap, it's not worth risking it to try and just "get it running." Unless you know for sure it ran okay before you got it. 77 or 79, doesn't make a difference either. Same motor. Did the boat come with any maintenance log? Or was it sitting for a while before you picked it up? A few things to check and double check during your rebuild.out drive seals are the #1 cause of I/O's sinking.non marine carburator is #1 reason for boat fires. Make sure it is the proper carb.replace ALL of the plumbing hoses. everything from the bait tank to the wash down if it has them.open up your hatches and give a good look at as much of your stringers as possible. Your Skipjack has wood stringers, not composite, so obviously look for any cracks or bubbling under the gel coat.pull and lube all of your steering cables and throttle cables.I'm sure you have a great boat there, just don't be in too much of a hurry to get it in the water. This season's about to an end, so that should give you a good 9 months before you HAVE to have it in the water. After it's all said and done, be sure to have a qualified boat mechanic give her a once over and no matter what the records might say, replace your impeller and have the outdrive serviced. And for God sake, don't go out on the water without vessel assist.
Jeph S"Team .223/6x47"

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:13 AM

Very good information there jeph. That should get him going in the right direction. I found out about carburetors the hard way. When you're on the water and the boats on fire you can panic. You don't have a lot of choices but the ones you do have to be made quickly.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

One more thing that you need to think about is marine parts. Almost every boater I know at one time (including myself) has tried to use automotive engine parts instead of marine parts. Don't do it. It may seem that you are buying an identical part only it's half the price, but there is a reason. something as simple as spark plug wire's should never be substituted. for instance, automotive plug wires will run you less than $40.00. However, the boot on a marine wire is not isolated and simply push into place. A marine wire is isolated and clamp on. Or a Starter which may look identical is also isolated. it may cost you more for the right parts, but a boat engine does not have the benefit of constant air rushing in to the engine compartment which eliminates the risk of a fire. Even with your blower running properly, the risk of an engine bay explosion due to fuel vapor is high unless all the proper parts are used. Just some food for thought.
Jeph S"Team .223/6x47"

#7 huntnsurf

huntnsurf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the info, I removed the oil pan and relubed everthing i could see. After cleaning the oil pan I noticed small pin holes in it so its now being replaced. There is some rust but it does not look to bad Iam going to run Marvel oil just to clean things up If its not running proper or I have more problems then I will rebuild. Iam also planning on replaceing the outdrive seals and gaskets. Thanks for the advice on the stringers I dont know if i can get to them because the boat has an inner shell which goes over the stringers but I know its dry because there is two drain holes one for each bilge. The boat is actually in really good condition for the age it just sat for two years before I got it and the heads were rebuilt.

#8 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

You are getting some great advice from Jeph. I'd also add that a hard look at the inside of the manifolds for corrosion would be a good idea especially if it's been in the salt much. The advice of rebuilding the small block is sound. They are cheap to rebuild and while doing so a blueprint/balance makes them sooo much smoother running. That's a great boat, I've spent many days fishing on a friends that he's had for 20+ years.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users