#1 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

Well had to go out and pattern my Benelli with the Carlson Dead Coyote choke and Hevi Shot Dead Coyote loads...especially after hearing of the problems ehd is having with his Benelli.This is the first time I've ever tried this so I started out at 20yds. Pretty devastating as expected and on target. The orange dot is 3" across for referance. Posted ImageBack side of the 1" plywood.Posted ImageI then moved back to 35yds. Still looks like it's knockin em into la la land.Posted ImageBackside of the 1" plywood.Posted ImageThen I moved back to 50yds. The pattern definatly opened up. Still looks like it's killin em plenty good. Note...I did drop the barrel slightly as I shot so the pattern is a little low.Posted ImageNot sure I want to shoot farther than 50yds at a yote...will see how it goes in the field. Any thoughts from you shotgun experts, are these patterns good enough? At 50yds the pellets did not go through the 1" plywood.Also shot my custom built .338 win mag to make sure it's on target for bear season in a few weeks. Not sure what kicked worst the 3 1/2 mag or the .338...All I know is they both let me know there's a whole lotta bag behind em, OUCH!3 shoots at 100yds with factory Federal 225gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. This rifle flat out shoots for a 33 cal.Posted ImageOh...had the 17hmr with me so some squeaks had to pay the price.Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

Wow! Not one response. Ya'll don't like me anymore :yikes[1]: ehd...how do these patterns look to you? Anyone else...I've never patterned a shotgun before so I'm looking for advice.

#3 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:57 PM

Hey Mike,Did you take a couple of shots without the choke? Just to compare. Would be interesting to see what the standard "full choke" does.db

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:05 PM

Mike I agree with Dave you need to try your full choke for a comparison. I don't care for that 50 yard target parent myself. Have you ever tried #4 lead buckshot? I used to have my cardboard patterning targets but the wife made me throw them out a couple years back. I'd like to see you shoot a couple of more targets for a comparison.

#5 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

No I didn't shoot anymore. The way that thing kicks and at $3 a pop I didn't want to shoot anymore till I got some advice.John the 50yd pattern ain't that bad if I hadn't drop the barrel as I shot...if you drop the orange dot there's about 14-16 pellets in the kill zone. Guess I can try some more combos. Real test will be in the field I imagine.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:04 PM

I forgot that you said you dropped the barrel on that 50 yards shot. You should see the pattern my old Ithaca Mag 10 throws with number 4 nickel shot. At 50 yards a bumble bee couldn't make it out alive. :yikes[1]:

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:27 PM

Well I think they will kill a coyote for sure. I only patterened the Carlson at 50 ,60 and 70. Mine was a tight group but 3 feet high. your group was better than mine. the new pattermaster choke that I got works real well. Number 4 buckshot also patterns very good. I am getting 8 pellets in a 6 inch circle @ 75 yards right on the point of aim. Also you were hid down here in the forums. I didnt glance down far enough!! :yikes[1]:

#8 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:34 PM

Also try that modified. Pattermaster says that those big loads dont like to be squeased down so tight.. How did you like that kick. Wait till you try 2 ozs of lead #4 buckshot. OUCH!!! :yikes[1]:

#9 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the response ehd. Yep I hear the mod. choke will work better than the full. Kick...ooooh dang! I think I bruised my cheek. I tell ya I don't think my .338 kicked that bad.Has anyone used the Primos choke for the Hevi Shot DC?

#10 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:21 PM

I had that in my Nova. It shot FANTASTIC. I posted the pics of the pattern. Shooter John might be able to locate it for you. Too bad it wouldnt fit the super black eagle..I called primos and to date they dont make one to fit it yet..

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:25 PM

You two should have bought a beretta they kick less :roflmao3[1]: those holes look small is that bird shot I thought buck shot was best for that. 00 buck is what I used 9 pellets what more you need it's not flying in the air LOL.

#12 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

You get 54 of those ,20 caliber guys in the air,things become dangerous. :roflmao3[1]: :P

#13 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:24 AM

They are also nickle-tungsten. More energy downrange, but also very expensive. If you are using on yotes only, you aren't shooting them like waterfowl. So maybe the cost doesn't make a big difference. I bought two boxes when they first came out and haven't used them up yet. My Savage 24F has the 223 on top and the 12G underneath. Most of my shots have been with the 223 so far. db

#14 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

That sounds like the ultimate coyote gun to me. I also patterned the 3 inch dead coyote. It shot fantastic with the Pattermaster choke. @ fifty yards you have almost a 100% shot pattern in a 20 inch circle.

#15 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote and Bobcat hunting. Also interested in Upland Gamebird & Deer Hunting.

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:49 AM

This topic really caught my eye! I bought a Benelli Super Nova a few months a go. I've recently heard of special shells that are made just for Coyote hunting and I'm looking for them (have not yet seen them here in Redding, CA). I see a few names mentioned here on this topic. 1) Pattermaster choke (50 yrds sounds great!) 2) "the 3 inch dead coyote" & 3) Carlson Dead Coyote choke and Hevi Shot Dead Coyote loads. My questions to all who read this and care to respond, is: Who makes these chokes and loads? Where can I get them? I would love to get some good 3" and 3 1/2" loads (other than Turkey Loads) for Coyote.Dearslam, just wondering, why buy another choke for your Benelli that's not a Benelli product? Is there really a better pattern with your new Carlson Dead Coyote choke, than you would get with one of the Benelli chokes? Thanks for the post and the pics!

#16 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:17 AM

Hevi Shot makes the Dead Coyote shells in 3" and 3 1/2"Carlsons makes a choke specifically for shooting the Dead Coyote loads.Don't know about the Patternmaster.These other chokes, the Carlson and Primos are made specifically to shoot the Hevi Shot Dead Coyote loads. They are supposed to be better. Maybe I'm just a sucker. I haven't shot these shells through the Benelli chokes...at $3 a shell I just bought the choke that is supposed to be better.I buy the shells at Sportsmans Warehouse and got the choke from allpredatorcalls.com.

#17 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote and Bobcat hunting. Also interested in Upland Gamebird & Deer Hunting.

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info! Now I'll tell my local gun store what I want or else I'll take a road trip to the Warehouse. Yeah! I guess I would buy a special choke also for those spendy shells.Thanks again!

#18 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

Spirit, you can also buy those choke tubes here --- > http://www.choketube.com

#19 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

Spirit, All the government hunters for coyotes have gone to the "dead coyote" heavy shot . I switched over to it in 3 1/2 inch and WOW!! 65-70 yards its a done deal. But you must take the time to try differant chokes and pattern your gun to know what its doing at your maximum distance you want to shoot at. Primos makes a choke caled DEAD DOG that is real good in my Nova. Those shells are spendy, but what price do you put on coyote hunting. Hope this gives you some help. By the way, Cabellas has that shot ..

#20 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:22 AM

Just ordered mine direct Carlson’s # 785-626-3700 spoke to Steve Carlson nice guy said I should have it Tuesday 10 day wait done Thursday hopefully shoot it Friday! :censored[1]:

#21 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:00 AM

Well this thread started off slow but has come around with some good info...thanks to all.

#22 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:41 AM

Deerslam - Thanks for starting it! One of the reasions I bought my Super Nova was so that anouther Coyote wouldn't ever leave alive after being called in. After all, my goal is to have them dead before they stop rolling! Thanks to all who added to this thread! I will be sure to add to it when I have some of the new chokes and shells mentioned above. I'll besure to add some pictures too (be this Winter most likley).

#23 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:56 PM

Look forward to your updates.

#24 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

It'd be nice if Hevi Shot made Dead Coyote shells for the 10 gauge...

#25 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:09 PM

You can load your own go to Ballistic products and order the shot and wads

#26 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:40 PM

I called Hevi Shot company and ordered over the phone. It was cheaper than if I would have bought it over the counter here in CA with sales tax. And it came roght to my front door. They are located in Oregon.db

#27 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:35 PM

They are located in Oregon.

Cool, they are only an hour from my house. Might have to take a road trip one of these days and check 'em out. Then from there I could go over to Bend and take a tour of the Nosler factory... :signs1180lq:

#28 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

Then a bit more S.E. to shoot some Yotes.db

#29 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

i use to buck hunt in Adele Oregon, lots of coyotes there.

#30 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:49 PM

I called Hevi Shot company and ordered over the phone. It was cheaper than if I would have bought it over the counter here in CA with sales tax. And it came roght to my front door. They are located in Oregon.db

Good info. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users