#31 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

Well I did a little more pattern work today. I only shot at 70yds. Shot off of sand bag on my portable bench.1st target is with the Patternmaster long range choke and Dead Coyote 3". This combo had 5 pellets in a 10x10" square.Posted Image2nd target is with the Patternmaster long range choke and DC 3 1/2". This combo had 7 pellets in a 10x10" square.Posted Image3rd target is with the Carlson DC choke and DC 3 1/2". This combo had 3 pellets in a 10x10" square.Posted Image4th target is with the Carlson DC choke and DC 3". This combo had 7 pellets in a 10x10" square and if you stretch it out to 11x11" there are 11 pellets in that zone.Posted ImageSo what do ya'll think. Is the Carlsons and the 3" DC good enough? It was definatly the best. 70yds is a long ways to shoot a yote with a scattergun. ehd??
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#32 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:19 PM

Looks good to me now get out there and blast some yotes.Attached File  1.jpg   29.32KB   10 downloads

#33 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,948 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

I've never shot Dead Coyote loads. I have a bunch of #4 buck and it's always killed everything I aimed it at. 70 yards is a long way on a moving target.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#34 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:12 PM

I would like too see you take a whack at 50 yards with the pattermaster. Most of your scattergun work will be at that range. I like to see 70 just in case..

#35 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:14 PM

Take your point of aim at your targets, Target 2 is one dead coyote!!!

#36 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

70yds is a good range for a rifle. It's a looong shot for a shotgun and one I wouldn't have much confidence finding the critter after the shot. IMO.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#37 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:23 AM

Very true.

#38 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:20 AM

I only shot a 70yds cause I figured if the patterns were any good they would only be better at 50 and 60yds. And besides between gas prices, the price of DC shells, the pain of shootin, (can you say KICK!), and time constraints I'd rather spend my time and money huntin.Here's the deal, give me some input, the Patternmaster choke is guaranteed and I can return it within the first 30 days no questions. I'm half way through the 30 days. ehd you say you like the Patternmaster with the DC 3 1/2 pattern. To me the Carlson with the DC 3" pattern looks the best. I'm a novice at this stuff, that's why I have asked for advice. Another factor is the Patternmaster choke cost three times as much as the Carlson choke, 90$ vs 30$, big difference. If you all think I should shoot again I guess I'll try and make time to do so. I could also call Patternmaster for their advice and see if one of their other chokes might work better, they'll swap for free. What to do?Oh and I talked to the farmer on the land I was shootin on and he saw my bobcat the other morning. Said he's big and beautiful.
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#39 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,948 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:37 AM

Mike, I wish I could give you a quick answer here. I understand why you were shooting the 70 yard targets too. The call to the company is cheap. I'd call the company again and ask them for some additional assistance. Maybe email them your results and see what they have to say. You might want to pick up some regular ammo and shoot it too before your final decision. I wish there were easier answers here but unfortunately guns can be like people and they all shoot a little different. I never believed that in shotguns until I changed stocks on one of my MX8 Perazzi's. The stock was $800 but it made the gun shoot like a dream. I would have never guessed that little of a difference would change the gun that much. So I guess what I'm saying is within time restraints keep trying.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#40 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

Since you are asking for advice, I'll give you mine. For 3" 12ga 70 yards is too far for a shotgun to get consistant kills. Can you kill one that far off? sure, I guess, a pellet to the melon will drop em but I sure wouldn't count on anchoring animals and chasing wounded critters is no fun. I myself wouldn't even care how it patterned at that range, I'd be more interested in the 40yd patterns. A number of shotgunners even recommend using modified chokes because the patterns are favorable for the majority of shots they are taking at coyotes. I've seen a number of coyotes get the whammy with shotguns, usually the majority of shots are 30yd stuff or closer, at that range stuff drops. Once you get out past 40yds the percentage of one shot kills goes down, at least for me. A lot of times they go down and get back up requiring a follow up or two. FWIW
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#41 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:52 AM

I agree 70yds probably isn't a high % shot that's why I said, "70yds is a long ways to shoot a yote with a scattergun", above. I would more than likely never shoot that far but as I stated above I was shootin at 70 thinkin if the pattern was desent it would only be better at 40, 50 and 60yds. Lets get back to the pattern and the chokes with the thought of a 55yd self imposed limit with the shotgun with either choke and either 3" or 3 1/2" Dead Coyote and the fact that the Patternmaster cost sooo dang much. Thanks and all advice is appreciated.

#42 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

I have to tell you Mike, I am very interested in this thread. I just bought that Rem 870 from Wes and am thinking the same thing about what choke. It has a turkey choke and that may do it. But since I don't know I want to see your results. I am looking at 50 yards in, more than likly closer than that. If the site has longer shots I'll just take my rifle. With that said, I would like to see the patterns at, say, 50 yards. Then compare the two chokes. What they do at 70 may not be what they do at 50. And since you said you have a self imposed limit at 55, why look at the pattern at 70? Shoot it at 55, or 50 and then decide.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#43 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

Also pattern with a big paper. My gun shot way to the left with the majority of the shot. With a differant bead up front that I could adjust I moved my fat part of the pattern to where I was aiming. Without doing that , my pattern would not have killed a coyote at 30 yards with any choke!! We are talking about 5 thousands on the front bead moved my pattrn 3 feet at 40 yards.

#44 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote and Bobcat hunting. Also interested in Upland Gamebird & Deer Hunting.

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

:signlol2iu: Keep the info coming! I went and bought some 3" Dead Coyote because of this thread. Now I see that 3 1/2" DC exist. I got to have it!

#45 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:41 PM

The paper I'm shooting at is pretty big. The red dot is 3" across. When I would shoot it looked as if the majority of the shot was on target by the dirt that was flying up. ehd, a question for you. When you patterned your Benelli did you recover any of the wads? The wads shot through the Patternmaster choke were thrashed compared to the wads when shot through the Carlsons choke.Well I'll call Patternmaster in the morning and see what they have to say. Our previous 2 conversations had me convinced that the Patternmaster longrange choke and the DC 3" would work really well. Oh well looks like I'll have to go out again and shoot some more. With the price of gas and shells I can't be doing this more than one more time.

#46 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:47 PM

Hell Mike, better you doing it than me. :wedgie[1]: Just pull another double shift and you will have it paid for right away. Not like us retired guys on a fixed income :signlol2iu:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#47 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

Hell Mike, better you doing it than me. :wedgie[1]: Just pull another double shift and you will have it paid for right away. Not like us retired guys on a fixed income :signlol2iu:

Hell Lynn I wish it were that easy. Right now we are over staffed and OT is gettin tough to come by.

#48 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:22 AM

The paper I'm shooting at is pretty big. The red dot is 3" across. When I would shoot it looked as if the majority of the shot was on target by the dirt that was flying up. ehd, a question for you. When you patterned your Benelli did you recover any of the wads? The wads shot through the Patternmaster choke were thrashed compared to the wads when shot through the Carlsons choke.Well I'll call Patternmaster in the morning and see what they have to say. Our previous 2 conversations had me convinced that the Patternmaster longrange choke and the DC 3" would work really well. Oh well looks like I'll have to go out again and shoot some more. With the price of gas and shells I can't be doing this more than one more time.

First off my choke is the Extended range. It is longer to take the 31/2 inch wads. Second thats how those wads should look, As the shot passes by the wad it tears it up. A duck hunter friend of mine got the pattermaster and tried it on paper. It works fantastic for him also. I think pattermaster will give you tour money back if it doesnt work for you. If not p.m. me and I will buy it for a friend of mine..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users