3 replies to this topic

#1 Craig J

Craig J

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

What is everything one can do to there rifle just short of sending it to a gunsmith to make it more accurate?Then if one takes it to a gunsmith, what should be asked and what should be avoided?I have a rifle that I just can't seem to get under a inch at 100yrds. Remington 700 .223 1:12 twist 26" barrel

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

try free floating the barrel if it is you can tell slip a dollar bill between the stock and barrel.If it wont pass sand the wood tell it does .Do you have a good trigger someone on here can tell you how to adjust it .What kind of ammo have you tried.

#3 camopaint

camopaint

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:18 AM

IMHO the best way to make a Remington more accurate is to sell it and buy a Savage! :signs1242cn: Just kidding. Open up the barrel channel, bed the action, change the trigger and load your own ammo. With a 1-12 twist barrel you may need to try some lighter bullets, 45-50 grainers. Other than that, make sure all your hardware is tight and your scope is of decent quality and in good working order.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:58 AM

Before doing anything to a rifle I clean it throughoutly especially the bore I want it sparking. Next I check to make sure the action screws are tight or snug. I'll loosen them and make sure the action is as far rearward as it will go. That way it won't creep back when fired. Then as I tighten the action screws to 65 inch-pounds I watch to see if there is any movement showing that the rifle isn't inletted properly. Then I check the barrel with the dollar bill between the barrel and the stock. Hows the trigger on that gun? If it hasn't been adjusted that can be a major culprit in loss of accuracy. I like to lessen the trigger pull to the safest possible pull. Then I check the scope. I can't tell you how many times I found the scope to be the whole problem. Take another scope you know that shoots well and swap it out. It's amazing how many times the scope was the reason the gun wouldn't shoot well. After these steps you can take it to a gunsmith. I've bought some guns that people said wouldn't shoot and with a little bit of work turned them into tack drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users