8 replies to this topic

#1 Orion

Orion

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:41 AM

I was just shooting my bow and the string to my release aid snapped! :wedgie[1]: I have a mechanical backup but, it’s my backup. I am going to Montana for elk next month and my bow is tuned for this release that just broke. I am thinking of buying a new release or repairing this one. 1 - What type of releases do you prefer? A – String on bow string? B – String on release? C – Mechanical only?Would you buy a new one or repair. Thanks much! I’m in a panic…Jim

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:58 AM

First off Welcome to the forum. I wish I could answer your question but I'm an old finger the the string kind of guy. I learned that way and still shoot without a release. But I know we have people here that can give you some ideas. It might take till tonight to get them to answer up. Good luck on your upcoming hunt.

#3 bowweevil

bowweevil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:57 AM

If you like caliper releases, I would go with the Scott Archery Mongoose. Its a little pricey, but not too bad. I use back tension releases now which I like much better, but a lot of people don't like them for hunting. If you are lookinbg for a back tension release, really the only thing you can do is try a bunch of them and pick which one works best for you.

#4 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:12 PM

I use a string loop on my bow. I used to use a Scott string release. It shot great using alumm. arrows but once I went to carbons I lost my tight groups. I'm now using a Tru-Fire and my groups are back to what they should be..I would recommend you just buy a new one. Even if you repair the one you have you will need to re-tune it as it won't be the same. With the price of releases these days and depending on what you want it won't cost you much more for a new one.

#5 Orion

Orion

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:33 AM

Thanks guys! I will go out and get a new release today.Jim

#6 Orion

Orion

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:39 PM

SportygI went with a string loop on the bow string. All in all it seems like a better way. Thanks for the help.Jim

#7 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

Jim, good luck with it.. Let us knw how it works for you..

#8 Orion

Orion

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

SportygYou were right. My groups did tighten up. I used to use XX75 SuperLites arrows and switched to ACC. The SuperLites were deadly accurate. I was getting good groups with the ACC just not the vane tears I was used to. I was having trouble tuning the bow. Now the ACC shoots real well and Iím back to shooting at different spots because Iím going through fletching like mad.Back on trackÖ :smiley-funny-post-sign: Thanks again guys!Jim

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:45 AM

Good luck I hope you stick something. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users