7 replies to this topic

#1 neocone

neocone

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:53 AM

I am a newbie but from what I see most hunters prefer weapons with > 1500 Joules muzzle power revolvers. Now I understand how hard it would be to use a regular semi auto chambered for a .45 round, but I suspect this puts a hunter on par with archery i.e 20-40 meters effective range (or 20-40 yards :-)).Anybody ever have stories of hunting with a semi auto?This is out of curiosity, as my other weapon of choice is a 1012 S&W :-)

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:41 PM

All of my huntung experiance with an auto is limited to small game and 22s....not very exiting. :wedgie[1]: You didn't mention what size game you plan on hunting but I'm assumeing you're thinking along the lines of deer and possibly hogs. If you are going into the woods with the intent on takeing game with an auto pistol I'd look past the .45 GAP and get something like a 10mm or a standard 45acp with +P ammo (a .45 super would be better yet). It sounds like you already have a good idea of what the range limitations of most auto pistol rounds are ( I'd give the 10mm or 45 super with tough, heavy bullets 30 more yards worth of range) but you can't really compare pistol rounds to arrows. Arrows don't go very fast or pack much energy but they'll still pass completly thru some REALLY large game. That's where the GAP is going to fall short (no pun intended). The loads that are made for them are designed for shooting at people and probably wont reliably deliver deep penetration on game.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

Being a .45ACP aficionado, I suggest that if you intend to take Deer and Hog sized game with that cartridge, you invest in some serious tracking classes, your going to need them. Bad choice for hunting, good choice for bad guys. Whatya gonna hunt with it? Anything bigger than Jack Rabbits you will need something suited for the purpose of taking larger game.

#4 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:55 PM

Hi Neocone,Welcome to the forums.Actually,any handgun hunting will be the same as archery.The stalking, and getting as close as possible.And, you must feel comfortable with the shot.If not,pass it up, or get closer if possible.On several forums,I've read about airguns,slingshots,knives and 22's being used.Some say it easy to kill a bear or a pig with a 22. IF the circumstances are right,then it's possible.Would say, many here wouldn't want to be dinner,main course, for the animals.I would not try it.As far as this goes,I think it's irresponsible.But, will that animal place itself in the right position ?(for the "right circumstances") Nope, it won't.Like others here, we are to treat the animal with respect.And, "use enough gun" for a quick, humane kill.My best to you.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#5 Ken43

Ken43

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:11 PM

I wouldn't recommend this unless you really know your gun and you have practiced. I carried a Glock mod. 22 (40 S & W) for a lot of years. I have killed several wild pigs with that weapon. I used factory Winchester 180 gr. ammo. The longest shot was 65 paces. Took a 250 lb. pig through the heart. The bullet broke one rib going in and two ribs on the opposite side. The bullet was under the skin on the opposite side. The pig went about 30 ft. and died. I have also used .45 cal. weapons. I always picked my shot and never took a shot I wasn't sure of.

#6 NVScouter

NVScouter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

Sorry but the 45ACP are doable on small close 25-40yard deer and below only. The 460 Rowland a conversion basicly a 45ACP mag is ok to 60yds.But the 45GAP isnt good for anything but 15yard shooting. Targets and people. The 45GAP is a shortened 45ACP that uses the "flying ashtray" style bullets of 45ACP gunroom 1 stop kill myths. A light 165-200gr bullet in .451-.452 diamater. How do you like that SECTIONAL DENSITY? Glock is able to use higher chamber pressure with a shorter case and a small grip frame/mag. I tested it and found it extremely accurate at 15yds and under, almost 1 holers. At 20 yards groups doubled in size, 30 they were very poor and at 50 they were a man's chest size. The engery is disapated extremely fast with this round and will wound a deer hands down. Glock's 45GAP was doomed from the start as it should be. They tried to edge in on the 1911's special forces/SWAT 45ACP fans and failed with his subpar effort.

#7 neocone

neocone

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

Hey there! Late response and thanks for the suggestions. I acquired a 45 acp Glock 30 in the meantime... way much better. But I think I will stick to a rifle for now until I feel comfy wirth a handgun. Not enough skills stalking Big Game upclose... and I am also going for wild pigs which a tough mutha...

#8 stinkyfindings

stinkyfindings

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:02 PM

I have hand gun hunted for 20 years and have hunted hogs from the glades of florida to the deserts of texas and use a Thompson Contender 14 in. barrel 4570 cal. and use a 45 acp for a backup gun. If you go in the brush after a wounded pig a 45 is good but it loses all of its power after about 40 feet. Thats why the police use 40/45 /guns good at a real close range but for hunting no not a wise choice (unless you want to sneek up and pull the trigger in their ear lol
Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users