14 replies to this topic

#1 RAPTOR72

RAPTOR72

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

How does everyone hunt out here in these big woods? Solo, with a buddy or in large groups? Also, is it advisable to carry a side arm while hunting out here?Tom

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:49 AM

Archery is really a solitary sport unless your pheasant hunting that is. That's fun everyone should try it. Deer hunting with a bow is more sitting and waiting. Not driving deer like you can with a rifle. As for carrying a handgun you have to make that decision.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 yunggun

yunggun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

I usually deer hunt by myself wether I'm bow or rifle hunting. Mostly just because I don't have anyone to go with, but I don't always mind cause I feel like my chances are better if I'm by myself. I like to carry a handgun when it's rifle season but I don't during bow season because I think it's illegal. There may be some specifics that I don't know, but the rangers always ask me if I have any firearms on me when I see them during archery season.

#4 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

Young gun is correct, it is illegal to carry a side arm during archery season. DFG saysif your a bow huinter why do you need a gun.. What ever.. I usually bow hunt alone but I have been going with a partner more and more.

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

2007-2008 California Mammal Hunting Regulations, Section 343(h):"Except as provided in subcection 353(g), archers may not possess a firearm while hunting in the field during archery season, or while hunting during a general season under the provisions of an archery only tag."

#6 RAPTOR72

RAPTOR72

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:19 PM

Ok, no hand guns. Bad advice from a non-hunter told me I need a gun to protect myself from large predators in the mountains if I am out alone. Thanks guys for steering me the right way. Tom

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

Stick those large predators with those pointy sticks.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:43 PM

Yep the old SSS!

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

I go hunting alone but might be up there with other guys. Its pretty boaring to be in camp by your self some times.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#10 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

yea...I was gonna let everyone know that it is illegal to carry a firearm during bow season...buddy of mine made that mistake last year...stern warning...I think this reg changed from a few years ago. I actually think they should let bow hunters carry a sidearm due to the rise of big cats in the woods...
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#11 tW!tcH

tW!tcH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

I usually go with someone. The only person that I know crazy enough to do the dog poop that I do. We use radios to keep in contact.

#12 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

I go up with my brother or Father inlaw and my wifes 2 brothers. But we usually hunt alone. I might take some one with me to some spots and some others I would not take even my brother Thump to. Bow I like to be alone. Opening day gun this year ALONE top secrit spot. :aggressive: :signlol2iu: :censored[1]: I take about 7knifes bow hunting and one is a 15 inch Bowee. Looks like a small sword. And gun May be a 22, deer rifle and a 357 for a side arm. I like a 22 or shot gun on my back for small game ,squrrels and quail . and the 7 knifes.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#13 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

I hunt with a few friends on weekends.. We go our own way once we start hunting and use radios to keep in touch. When I hunt weekdays I go alone..
Sportyg;Founder:HHHwww.hhh-usa.orgLM:NAHCMbr:TRCP

#14 bowweevil

bowweevil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:20 AM

I almost always hunt alone. BUT, I do carry a handgun. I know its illegal, and if DFG decides to, they can ruin my day. The thing is, not only have I popped up between a bear and her cubs, but I have stumbled into people that I believe are more dangerous than mamma bear. There are pot farms all over the national forest, and I wouldn't doubt if there were Meth Labs as well. I guess I would rather take my chances with the fish cops than drug dealers.

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

:roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: so thats what you call them point sticks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users