#1 cptnmatt

cptnmatt

Varmint Hunter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:shooting, hunting, fishing

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:13 PM

Anyone else out there hunt with the 480, I shoot the Super Redhawk with a 9.5 inch barrell and a leupold eer in stainless.For those that arent sure about the recoil, its about the same as a 44 mag. the round is the same lenght as the 44 but .48 dia.fun fun fun...matt

#2 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

Don't have one, but I thought I remembered seeing Ruger offer the Alaskan in .480 and thinking I'd sure like to have one. However I recently checked Ruger's website and it shows they only offer them in .44 mag and .454 casull. A quick search on GunBroker.com turned up an Alaskan in .500 S&W, but no .480's. Anybody know if they used to make them or am I going crazy?
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

I just wish ruger would quit messin' around and do what customizers have been doing to the blackhawk for years... :smiley_kewlpics: ...make a five-shot .475 Linebaugh, then you could shoot .480s in it too.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 cptnmatt

cptnmatt

Varmint Hunter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:shooting, hunting, fishing

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:30 PM

I like the weight of the Super Red, it makes handeling the 480 fun. I'm not sure the Blackhawk frame could handel the pressures of the .475 or .480 and i'll bet the recoil would be alot harder... matt

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:35 PM

The blackhawk frame will handle the pressure. John Linebaugh has been makeing his .475 and .500 out of them for a long time and I believe that Dick Casull used them for building .454s. The cylinder is the weak link, thats why they make them in a five shot configureation. It puts alot more metal between the chambers. The blackhawk grips aren't the best for a hard recoiling gun though. My 4 5/8ths inch blackhawk in .45 colt loaded with 335 grain cor-bons gets a little obnoxious after 30 or 40 rounds.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

I just wish ruger would quit messin' around and do what customizers have been doing to the blackhawk for years... :signtripledogdare2wf: ...make a five-shot .475 Linebaugh, then you could shoot .480s in it too.

I second that! I would buy one if they make .475 lin. in blackhawk or even better the redhawk. Make it a 6 shot though.Come on ruger, you can do it.

#7 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

unfortunatly ruger is always late on the band wagon . how many years did people and co's offer hb variations of the 10/22 before they made one ?? and the 10/22 pistol . I have talked to persons that did them out of state for years as a s.b.r. then volqu ? made one . then FINALLY ruger decided to make the pistol 10/22 . but they are not cali legal . I think they would sell alot of them here . But Linebaugh HAS been making them for 10 or more years , I think . Give it 5-10 more years and they might make them . but don't hold your breath . the mini 14 is another example . accuracy systems (?) has been making hb , gas adj 14's for a while . then what did ruger do , make their own version of it with the " harmonic stabilizer " . ruger always does things " after the fact " . next thing you know they will introduce a glock / sigma hybrid ......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users