#1 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:28 PM

Here is the letter I am sending to H&R to address my problem.What do you guys think. Be Honest.To whom it my concern:Per my conversation with the service department, I am returning my H&R Ultra .223 for service. The reason for return is to address two problems.First is the Barrel Lug to Receiver fit tolerance. Where the sides of the barrel lug fits inside the receiver it is a very loose fit. At the front of the receiver the gap is app. .007 each side for a total of .014 gap, at the rear of the lug the gap is app. .014 each side for a total of .028This allows for the barrel to rotate inside the receiver when the rifle is fired and cause?s accuracy to suffer severely. I have fired several 3 shot groups with several different factory loads and several hand loads that all shoot well in all my other .223?s, and the accuracy is not acceptable in this rifle. This rifle groups between 2.5? and 3.5? at 100yd.I place two small shims between the barrel lug and receiver to take up the gap and this cured the problem, the rifle then shot Sub MOA. Second the chamber seems to be cut on the outer limits of specs. When hand loading a 50gr. V-Max bullet it is impossible to seat the bullet near the lands and have it sufficiently seated in the case, This also cause?s accuracy to suffer.I previously owned the same model rifle and it did not have these problems and was a very good rifle. I have enclosed sample targets of before and after the shims.As you can see taking up the loose fit on the sides of the receiver to barrel lug made this firearm quite a shooter. Thank you for your attention in this matter.Sincerely
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#2 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:37 PM

I hope they fix it for you. Be prepared for stripped holes for the butpad screws when it comes back...

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,679 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:18 PM

now you got me wondering , mine seems nice and tight.not going to find out how it shoots for awhile good luck.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:26 PM

Let us know how they respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users